Sign in to follow this  

Is Husky right for me

Trying to figure out if Husky is right for me. Thinking of a TE250 (TE310 would be ideal but too much $$). I have about 25mi to an ORV park and I'd like to be able to ride there. I'd also like to able to ride 10mi or so to the grocery store (by taking a power line trail to a road). Also would like to putter around backroads looking for misc. trails. I would imagine that a 60mi round trip on the road would be the max for me. I have an Aprilia for street duty. Its really between the WR250R and the TE250 for me right now. I know the WR would probably be a better fit, but I'm having a hard time knowing the TE is lighter and more powerful. Any input would be appreciated.

On paper they seem pretty close. It's too bad you cannot test ride them to see how you perceive the differences. You can get a $ figure on the Husky for power-up but I don't know what the deal is with the Yamaha. Do they have a throttle stop etc, require a new pipe and replacement of lambda.

I was considering one (WR250R). I've seen them and they look pretty good. They sit high like my TE. I can only say in the end that I'm happy choosing the TE because I don't think I could have found a better dealer to work with than George @ Uptite. Just a good fit for me and I don't think for a second the Yamaha would have been better.

TE's are easy to work on. Don't know about Yamaha's.

On paper they seem pretty close. It's too bad you cannot test ride them to see how you perceive the differences. You can get a $ figure on the Husky for power-up but I don't know what the deal is with the Yamaha. Do they have a throttle stop etc, require a new pipe and replacement of lambda.

I was considering one (WR250R). I've seen them and they look pretty good. They sit high like my TE. I can only say in the end that I'm happy choosing the TE because I don't think I could have found a better dealer to work with than George @ Uptite. Just a good fit for me and I don't think for a second the Yamaha would have been better.

TE's are easy to work on. Don't know about Yamaha's.

I think a WR250F would be closer to a TE250 performance wise than a WR250R. I know that the TE250 and the WR250 are both EFI and street legal, but I think that's where the comparison stops.

I believe the Yamaha is smoother and more street refined. Whereas the Husky is more geared for performance. It vibrates more and is not all that comfortable on longer rides.

I saw a new Yamaha 250 in person the other day. That thing is fat and bloated, you can see the weight just sitting there. Vote = TE250

I'll give you my vote. I had a hard time deciding on a new mount in my stable too. I looked at the Yamy, KTM, Honda and picked the TE. I didn't think the 250 would be good enough. I have a honda 230F for chasing the kids and 03 XR4 for Dual sport but I was tired of kick starting the XR4. I like the button. I picked up the TE450 because I like power. I didn't think the 250 would suit my needs. If you are going to do any commuting look to the 09 310 or the 450. IMO they are better suited for your original post.

I have no experience with husky 250s but have heard many good things.

I own a yamaha for thrashing in the woods, a husky 610 for mostly trails and a bit of road cruising. I have ridden hondas, etc... My experience with husky products/suspension has been very positive and, though the te 250 bikes are set up for performance, that is not a bad thing imo. After spending much time reading about different dual sport comparisons, my opinion is that the husky bikes are generally more slimmed down, light, and refined/powerful. However, you might want a 450 if you're going to do any kind of road riding... even occasional "jaunts."

In the end, I believe it's a question of which bike makes you happier when you ride it. I bet you could milk the two dealers into letting you sit-on or even test ride the two different ones.

Don't let my opinion weigh in too heavily though

:D Best wishes

~The Tator

The Huskys narrow gearing has the 250 at a disadvantage here. If geared for hard core trails, the cruise speed wil be limited. Even my TC450, geared for off road with a 5 spd, will only cruise at about 40 mph on the road without shrieking the engine. My TE450 could pull taller gears, 15/50 would allow 60ish without undue RPMs. A 450 can be geared a little taller & get by off and on road cause the engine makes more power.

I looked at the new WRR, if you are even considering it, it might be right for you. I scoped out the air cleaner,,,not your typical and trusted hi-per set up, the single rad, and the low grade fittings, including the "Chinese bike" plastics and saw all I needed to see. For less agressive riders it seems just right.

I'd tell my kids to buy one for typical dual-sport goofing around, street and exploring. Good bike for someone who will not push it and on a budget.

jjm .. you have confirmed my fears about the short gearing. That was the only down side I was really worried about. I actually have a price quote where a brand new 08 TE250 is less than the WR250R. The TE250 review posted elsewhere in TT was a little disappointing w/ HP of only 26, which is damn close to the Yamaha's 24. I saw a dyno graph somewhere stating 32 for the Husky. I know I know.. lets not talk conflicting dyno #'s. Anyway I guess I just WANT the Husky more, but sounds like it might be a mistake for what I'm looking to do with it. Thanks for the help guys.

Shop everything in your price range, don't forget the DRZs.