Stock Tank Graphics???

I know the graphics on the tank are clear coated over but has anyone ever tried to remove just the graphics. I was hoping to just remove the graphics leaving the plain blue tank and then i was going to just re-clear the whole thing.

Anyone know if it can be done w/o having to repaint the tank?

It's hard to say, but if you were going to reclear the entire tank anyways.

One way to remove the tank graphic would be to use a new flat blade razor. It takes practice, but you lay it almost flat against the paint and work it lightly back and forth under the sticker. If you start to drop it, let it fall to the ground and start over or you will scratch the tank trying to catch it.

I learned this trick from an automotive restore expert that does matching number Hemi frame off restos..and it works great. The only problem here would be the clearcoat layer over the graphic..that I don't know about.

I removed the stupid warning sticker on the tank using the razor method. I then use some light 'goof off' to remove the left over sticker adhesive.

Good luck, maybe someone else has a better idea besides repaint the entire tank.

I think you could get a flatblade under the edge of the graphic, but I'm not sure what would happen if you then tried to peel the graphic away..I think it might jack up the clearcoat around the sticker and possibly look like crap.

Sand down the clear until you get to the graphic. You'll need to sand the entire tank to clear coat it anyway.

won't work. You need to peel, sand, paint.

I watched the body shop guy do mine, It looked rough after it was peeled. He sanded it out and then paint, then clear:)

I wasn't saying sand the graphic, just sand the clear off until you get to the graphic then peel it off.

I was kinda thinking of these same ideas, i hope they will work because my bike no longer has the shroud graphics on it and it looks kinda stupid w/ the random looking graphics on the tank.

Anyone ever done this? Please chime in if so.....

I was kinda thinking of these same ideas, i hope they will work because my bike no longer has the shroud graphics on it and it looks kinda stupid w/ the random looking graphics on the tank.

Anyone ever done this? Please chime in if so.....

I have friends at a body shop, so my tank was professionally painted after the graphics were removed.

If that sounds like to much work or money, on my brother inlaws bike I painted the tank without removing the graphics. It looks excellent, if you look closely you can see the ridge from the graphic, but it still looks cool. I did it with a spray can, not that hard, just remember, lots of THIN coats is better.

Good luck

I wasn't saying sand the graphic, just sand the clear off until you get to the graphic then peel it off.

I wasn't actually refering to your post:)

I just don't think there is anyway to remove the graphics without painting and clear:thumbsup:

I wasn't actually refering to your post:)

I just don't think there is anyway to remove the graphics without painting and clear:thumbsup:

Oh, my bad!

I think you could get the graphics off without having to repaint, but I'd remove the clear from the entire tank by carefully sanding, then apply the clear. But you need to be carefull not to remove too much of the paint.

I am smack dab right in the middle of this whole process and I will be honest, it's kind of a pain. Then again I HATE sanding. We had to cut the edge of the clear coat around the decals to get them off. Now I'm left with a black tank where you can see where the decals were because of the clear coat. Now I get to sand everything down and paint the tank, yay. I'm going to go with a semi gloss black because I think that will match the bodywork better.

Any thoughts?

3M makes an "eraser" that attatches to a drill and it WILL remove graphics/decals without harming the clearcoat....IF the decal is ontop of the clearcoat. I used one of these to remove the factory decals on the bed of my new Silverado( it had ten miles on it when I went at it with the drill). Works like a champ....really. BUT these graphics are underneath the clearcoat. That's a completely differnt situation. You're gonna have to get through the clear to remove the graphics. The odds of removing the clear, and the decals, without cutting through the factory paint(at least in a spot or two) is slim.

In order to cut through(completely remove) the clear, your gonna need fairly aggressive wet paper. That makes things pretty dicey as factory paint is probably, at most, .002" to .003" thick.....once the clear is removed, you'll need to color sand (wet sand) at something like 1500 grit to prep for re-clearing the tank. Probably be faster, and in the long run, cheaper to just go at it, romove what you want, repaint and re-clear. IMHO.

I am smack dab right in the middle of this whole process and I will be honest, it's kind of a pain. Then again I HATE sanding. We had to cut the edge of the clear coat around the decals to get them off. Now I'm left with a black tank where you can see where the decals were because of the clear coat. Now I get to sand everything down and paint the tank, yay. I'm going to go with a semi gloss black because I think that will match the bodywork better.

Any thoughts?

I personally went with a full gloss, it matches nice if you keep your plastics shiny and clean:thumbsup:

Semigloss looked a little flat on my brother inlaws bike

I know the graphics on the tank are clear coated over but has anyone ever tried to remove just the graphics. I was hoping to just remove the graphics leaving the plain blue tank and then i was going to just re-clear the whole thing.

Anyone know if it can be done w/o having to repaint the tank?

I'm in the same way. I bought new shrouds because they were cheaper then factory graphics if I decided to put the bike back stock later. My bike is Yellow, and I have the two continuing graphics on the tank. I think doing the clear coat removoal and possibly having to paint the tank again is too much expense, and trouble. I'm going down to the motorcycle graphics place near me that has all the equipment, and having them cut me two pieces of the

Suzuki Yellow vinyl that they have, and apply them to

the tank covering the blue splotches. Their Yellow is 99%

identical in color, and will be nearly unoticble untill you are right up on the bike. Total cost for material and cutting out for the tank is about 20 bucks.:D To put the bike back stock all I have to do is install the original shrouds and pull the vinyl off the tank.

Regards Sonny

I personally wouldn't even mess with clear coat on a bike tank. I'd sand the whole thing smooth and shoot it with single stage urethane. Looks just like a base/clear paint job but it's easier to touch up if it gets scratched. That would be the easiest route. I painted my 57 with single stage urethane and people tell me all the time it's a nice clear coat paint job. :D

Paul