Helmet Repair

sounds bad i know but it's not. I just got a brand new Arai helmet that Vitamin water painted..very very expensive, it's the one in my profile pic. I've only worn my helmet maybe five or six times.

Well, i decided i was going to lay it over in a corner and someone smacked me in the back of the head with their foot peg and although it wasn't a bad hit whatsoever, i mean honestly, it left about an inch long, half inch wide gash, damn near to the fibers. It looks worse i think because the paint job is so thick.

So , what could I use, to not really repair, but preserve this atrocity so that it doesn't keep chipping.

I'm no handy man, nor do i fix things, I figure one of you guys had a good idea. I'll get a picture up of it, so you can get sick to your stomach like i did when i saw it.

What a waste.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about the hole in the helmet. If it is into the fibers as you say it is, you may have an issue with the structual integrity/safety of the helmet. I would take it to a dealer or somebody that is reputable when it comes to helmets and get their opinion. Your noggan is an non-expendable asset. It is probably fine, but you are better safe than sorry, right? Those Arai's are nice helmets though, I have the Millsaps replica.

Send it to Arai and let them look at it. I dont think it will do you any good to try and fix it. Would probably look worse after messing with it. I would think that the helmet is still useable. I would still wear it. Sounds like more of a gouge then an impact. I wouldnt think the foam in the helmet took much of an impact. This is all speculation as I wasnt the one wearing the helmet at the time.

You are now the owner of a custom painted flower pot . I have a few thru the years . I doubt anyone would try and "repair" it due to the liability of it . Maybe the manfacture ,they have the equipment to test the shell structure ,ie...quality control in the assembly line ,spark test or one of a few instruments to check for microscopic hair line fractures . If the repair is in order , various polyester / fiberglass type resin type "kits" can be found at boat dealers,etc..

sounds bad i know but it's not. I just got a brand new Arai helmet that Vitamin water painted..very very expensive, it's the one in my profile pic. I've only worn my helmet maybe five or six times.

Well, i decided i was going to lay it over in a corner and someone smacked me in the back of the head with their foot peg and although it wasn't a bad hit whatsoever, i mean honestly, it left about an inch long, half inch wide gash, damn near to the fibers. It looks worse i think because the paint job is so thick.

So , what could I use, to not really repair, but preserve this atrocity so that it doesn't keep chipping.

I'm no handy man, nor do i fix things, I figure one of you guys had a good idea. I'll get a picture up of it, so you can get sick to your stomach like i did when i saw it.

What a waste.

This made me think of when I bought my first brand new bike an 85 XT 600. I was backing it out of my garage (kickstand down, BAD) and I went down a slight bump, the bike tipped over into the garage door rail. The bike had 75 miles on it, it broke numerous parts scratched the tank and I was devistated:foul: , but I fixed it and it was'nt cheap. My point is bad things happen and it's a drag, but sometimes we got to do what's right and in this case it's replace the helmet and learn from the experience.

life su*&s then you.....buy a new helmet

Well, I'd certainly choose that over the other option next time it took a hit...

Obviously no-one can definitively say do or don't re-use it apart from the manufacturer, nor can anyone stop you using a condemned lid should you so wish (apart from scrutineers, who can & will). Especially without seeing the helmet or at least a good picture of the damage the only advice you will get from anyone with an ounce of common sense (and some without, myself included :D ) is to stick it on the shelf & build stories around it regarding the day you lived to tell the tale....

i'll get a picture up tonight.

I don't believe the helmet is worthless, I think it's quality has been degraded, maybe down to a fox, or thor level (lol let's face it some of you buy $100 helmets, that are in fact like wearing a bucket on your head) well this $600 helmet now is probably at a cheaper helmet's safety level, MAYBE

I have plenty of time to send it off, I have another helmet. there is no way in hell I am putting a helmet worth $1500 on the shelf to look at over a gash from a sharp foot peg. Arai themselves will have to render this helmet worthless. Until then, I need to preserve the damage so it won't further look like a disgrace.

I'm of the OPPOSITE opinion of most riders in regard to repairing helmets.

Mix some milled fibreglass fibers or kevlar fibers with a quality epoxy and fill in the gouge and level/refinish the damaged area. I'd wear it and never think twice about it.

If the gouge is definitely in the fibre matting cloth however it probably must be replaced if you want the same level of safety as the structural integrity would be compromised.

I think most of the "OMG you scratched your helmet, you must replace" is pure crapola perpetuated by the GROSSLY overpriced helmet industry.

i'll get a picture up tonight.

I don't believe the helmet is worthless, I think it's quality has been degraded, maybe down to a fox, or thor level (lol let's face it some of you buy $100 helmets, that are in fact like wearing a bucket on your head) well this $600 helmet now is probably at a cheaper helmet's safety level, MAYBE

I have plenty of time to send it off, I have another helmet. there is no way in hell I am putting a helmet worth $1500 on the shelf to look at over a gash from a sharp foot peg. Arai themselves will have to render this helmet worthless. Until then, I need to preserve the damage so it won't further look like a disgrace.

If this is only a gash then dont worry about, maybe it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Where on the helmet is it? I really dont know of anything you can do to cover it up the gash and not have the helmet look red-necky. Your best option may just be to put a sticker over it.

:worthy::ride:

I know this has been debated many times but damn that's alot of money to spend on a helmet..I feel (notice I said feel, since I have no proof), that my $200 FOX V3 helmet is just as competent as any other helmet. :D