Sign in to follow this  

How to get my sister to start riding?

Hey, i've been trying to get my sister to ride my CR85 for about 2 months now but she keeps saying "NO!". Shes 16. She rode my 65's when I was on them, all the time but nothing serious like wheelies or jumps. But i'm just trying to figure out a way to convince her to ride my 85. When i asked her "Why won't you ride it" she said "I see those huge jumps you do on that thing and i'm scared of the power on it" and i'm like it dont have that much power it's an 85! So if you ladies have anyway, shape, or form to convince her to ride please tell me I would really app. it.

Thanks,

Austin

Promise her you'll never, ever attempt to pressure into doing ANYTHING she's not ready to do including enormous jumps. Tell her she only has to putt around and enjoy herself. Because having fun is the most important thing she'd be doing when she rides. And it's highly unlikely she'd kill herself on an 85.

Heck I totally suck at riding and I haven't killed myself yet on mine!

I've told her that she can just put around the yard on it but shes more of the "GIRLY" tipe. But i'm still trying.

Because nobody else rides in my family or around me and i have nobody to ride with and i think it would be fun for her.

I moved up and she was WAY too big for a 65 shes like 5'4 and i'm 5ft. Hopefully if she catches on she'll get like an XR100 or something like that.

Sometimes giving a person even the slightest amount of pressure, can blow up in your face and have the opposite effect of what you're trying to accomplish. As cool and fun as it would be for both of you to do this together, she doesn't see it like you do right now and you have to respect that riding something bigger isn't her thing. Let it be her decision and if she ever comes around to the idea, you'll be right there to help her.

Yeah... Keep the pressure off her, stop asking her if she wants to ride.

Do you have a track at your house? Maybe just asking her to come watch you ride, do you have a video camera or digital camera, ask her to take pics of you, Ask her to help watch your form in the turns.... are your elbows up, leg up, are you gasing at the right times. You guys can go over the footage/pics together. She's involved then and maybe will ask eventually if she can ride.

She might gain some confidence from learning what you are tying to improve upon and the correct positioning and all. Hey maybe soon she'll ask if she can try. But at least you can spend some time together in the meantime.

When she becomes interested in a guy who rides she will get on it! Or perhaps it is not her thing, like so many girls.

When she becomes interested in a guy who rides she will get on it! Or perhaps it is not her thing, like so many girls.

I was thinking that too Sun!

Yeah... Keep the pressure off her, stop asking her if she wants to ride.

Do you have a track at your house? Maybe just asking her to come watch you ride, do you have a video camera or digital camera, ask her to take pics of you, Ask her to help watch your form in the turns.... are your elbows up, leg up, are you gasing at the right times. You guys can go over the footage/pics together. She's involved then and maybe will ask eventually if she can ride.

She might gain some confidence from learning what you are tying to improve upon and the correct positioning and all. Hey maybe soon she'll ask if she can try. But at least you can spend some time together in the meantime.

Yes yea do have a track at our house, I ask her to take pics and videos and she does and it seems like she wants to, but i'll keep trying to get her to take videos and stuff. She came to me when she rode my 65's so I guess i'll let her come to me again.

Ha yea that will be the day, she has a boyfriend and hardly nobody likes him in family and all the kids that ride around here are not her age or even close.

Yes yea do have a track at our house, I ask her to take pics and videos and she does and it seems like she wants to, but i'll keep trying to get her to take videos and stuff. She came to me when she rode my 65's so I guess i'll let her come to me again.

Ok I'm confused as to why I seem to be the only person getting this:

Your sister LIKES the 65. She's afraid of the 85.

Your sister WANTED to ride the 65. She does NOT WANT to ride the 85.

Your sister doesn't CARE that the 65 is underpowered and too small. Your sister is AFRAID of the power of the 85 and refuses to ride it.

Do you see where I'm headed here?? You want to try to get you sister involved in your riding. The answer is staring you right in your face. She's already TOLD you what it will take for her to continue riding.

Do any of your friends still have a 65 sitting around unused? Seriously, I KNOW the bike is way the heck too small for her, BUT if she had fun on it then, and was willing to ride it, why force her into getting on the bigger bike?

She had fun on THAT bike, so she will either outgrow it and develop interest in improving and WANT to ride your 85 OR she will lose interest and you'll know that no matter how much begging from you will get her to enjoy riding.

You know if my little brother went to that much effort to include me in his life, I'd be really touched and inspired to try to spend more time with him. But that's just me.

Thats why I said what I said... just in more words. She's afraid. Maybe just being involved and "learning" without realizing it will give her confidance to want to get on the bike and try.

Its kinda what got me wanting to ride. I was the designated camera and video person. Listening to them talk, watching and learning off the bike what to do when hubby was learning with his friend years ago. I got the itch and wanted to try myself after a while.