how do you pass?

When im out practicing I cant figure out how to pass someone slower. I dont race yet so i dont have any expierence. The track i ride in most turns only has one line and the straights arent real wide. So what are some tips to pass slower riders?

Hang with them a lap or three following their line(s). Eventually you are going to find a spot where you are better and spots where he may pull away. Everyone has strong and weak spots to riding. Anyways, follow the guys line staying as close as comfortably possible. When you get the feeling or hunch you can get on the gas earlier and pass coming out of the turn or, pull the pass coming into the next turn. Its a learning process and its meant to be fun. If you find yourself getting frustrated because you can't pass or you are going to put yourself in a position that you will crash, pull off and start again. Your at the point where you are thinking constantly whlie riding and it will pay off making you a faster rider.

Don't look at the rider in front of you, you will never pass them. Look through them down the track just like you would when riding with no traffic.

A roadracing track instructor I had had the best description of it. He said that you will be unable to pass at first, then you will learn to look down the road and suddenly that other bike won't be there anymore. At that point, passing becomes easy. Keep practicing and it will come.

Mark

Passing is all about vision and how you see things. When you ride use teh WHOLE track not just the good lines because sometimes you can find better.

Don't follow their line. That's a simple as it can get, if you are faster then you will pass. Of course you can always block pass them and stuff them but that's a different story.

Don't look at the rider in front of you, you will never pass them. Look through them down the track just like you would when riding with no traffic.

A roadracing track instructor I had had the best description of it. He said that you will be unable to pass at first, then you will learn to look down the road and suddenly that other bike won't be there anymore. At that point, passing becomes easy. Keep practicing and it will come.

Mark

That's some pretty good advice right there. The cardinal rule is never follow. If you are following, you will never be able to pass the person in front of you. So first is pick a different line. I don't like studying someone, as I feel I get caught up in their pace. Not saying I haven't done it, just not the best thing to do. Obviously if you are close to someone in speed, you will have to study them and try to set them up somewhere for a pass. Figure out where they are slower and make your move there. I do this in races, as I know where I am faster than certain guys that I race against. I know if I stay close I can make a move in certain places and they won't be able to answer it. Bottom line is try to ride your own pace and not get caught up in someone elses pace. Use alternate lines, such as inside out or outside in through corners. If you get under someone braking into a corner, chances are you will make the pass unless they are really aggressive around the outside. There are many ways to pass someone. These are just a few to get you started.

Nice !:D Everyone here must be civilized ....I figured I would see "take him out" as an answer,lol .:ride: But I cant agree more with not "following" and use the whole track ,to the point that just to put a wheel along side to pressure . Even slower lines have worked . I have (abit when younger) would set up a pass at the end of a set of whoops while inside of him by just holding the clutch in and grabbing a handful of throttle threatening the guy infront that I am coming in way to hot and will not make the turn :worthy: -he blows the turn completely .

Nice !:D Everyone here must be civilized ....I figured I would see "take him out" as an answer,lol .:ride: But I cant agree more with not "following" and use the whole track ,to the point that just to put a wheel along side to pressure . Even slower lines have worked . I have (abit when younger) would set up a pass at the end of a set of whoops while inside of him by just holding the clutch in and grabbing a handful of throttle threatening the guy infront that I am coming in way to hot and will not make the turn :worthy: -he blows the turn completely .

:ride: Does that really work on most people?

Mark

Thats about the best advice you can get in opinion.

I dont know what i do to pass some one i just pass them LOL. I mostly pass them on the straights if the are slower than me. But if they can keep at the same pace as me i guess. I just pass them in a turn or something or going threw the whoops and try to pass them. I dont think about it i just go my own way in other words. :D:worthy: But to do find slaming the clutch and grabbing the throttle works too :ride: Or coming up to a slower person geting in there front tire in a turn and just droping the clutch is fun to LOL:banana:

lmao i sued to do the same in some instances...its hilarious, i actually used to laugh in my helmet sometimes xD

It's kind of been said but if they're slower and timmid push them hard and clutch, rev up etc, let him hear you and put the pressure on them, they'll usually get up tight and nervous and make a mistake. All that being said I have a heck of a time getting by guys that are my same speed. I basically follow and try different lines and hope they make a mistake. I find if I get too ecited and caught up in the "must pass this guy by the next corner" mode then I'm usually the one that pushes too hard and blows the corner so I mostly stay on them, try to stay quite and in their blind spot on corners and gas out of the corner harder than them on a different line. A few times I've surprized guys and they got on the gas too hard to compensate and came out of the corner all squirley and I got by them but many other times I just come in second or third.

Here's info from the other side.

I enjoy the competition. I love the back & forth. I entered this race for that exact reason.

If you want to pass me. YOU pass ME. I enjoy keeping fellas back there. We're in a race. You can hit that horn all you want. (The new KTMs have a horn) Scream & yell. Rev you engine to the moon.

You're faster than me........ prove it! :D

I won't block you. I'll let you pass, I don't like to end up on the ground..................... but if you want a hand out................ :worthy:

Ive never raced but when i ride the track and get to a slower rider i usually keep the revs high and get on their ass so they can hear me... they usually move out of the way pretty quickly, if not then i either take the inside corner or somewhere on the straight.

When a faster rider comes up to me i slow down, go to one side and let him pass because it always makes me mad when people try to block me so i dont do the same to others.

Here's info from the other side.

I enjoy the competition. I love the back & forth. I entered this race for that exact reason.

If you want to pass me. YOU pass ME. I enjoy keeping fellas back there. We're in a race. You can hit that horn all you want. (The new KTMs have a horn) Scream & yell. Rev you engine to the moon.

You're faster than me........ prove it! :D

I won't block you. I'll let you pass, I don't like to end up on the ground..................... but if you want a hand out................ :worthy:

the ballad of a taken out rider:thumbsup:

Ive never raced but when i ride the track and get to a slower rider i usually keep the revs high and get on their ass so they can hear me... they usually move out of the way pretty quickly, if not then i either take the inside corner or somewhere on the straight.

When a faster rider comes up to me i slow down, go to one side and let him pass because it always makes me mad when people try to block me so i dont do the same to others.

tip, when a faster rider comes up behind you NEVER switch lines, just hold your line and let them find they're way around you, if your going of to one side while they're trying to pass you on that side it's only going to end in both of you in the medical tent, just hold your line and let them use you as overtaking practice, if they can't get past, they're obviously not a faster rider then you.

Yes, try not to follow, but some sections of the track will actually slow you down if you try to take an alternate line. Follow when you have to, but go in for the pass taking the opposite line on the sections you were blazing fast on during practice. During practice, take note of which sections you are fastest on and think of ways you could make a pass. Try different lines in practice. And when you do go in for the pass, you will have to take the opposite line and accelerate a little out of your comfort zone, or else you eat roost for the rest of the race.

It happened to me three weeks ago when I was trying to pass a rider who was the same exact speed as me. After about two laps, I finally made the pass by accelerating a little out of my comfort zone on an uphill section with a tricky double. It was a little intimidating going that fast, but it worked.

ok thanks for all the help guys.

I usually get to the inside line and go WOT to get pass. If they are good on the inside carry more speed on the out side. if they are good on the outside take the inside line and get in front by taking his line. It all depends on what there doing, your skill level, your vision of the track.

Mostly good advice. As i took it we were talking about a practice situation and when im just out at the local track practicing i dont do anything too agressive. Now taking someones line isnt too agressive as long as your not gonna take out their front wheel along with it. Also, i dont recommend passing anyone over large jumps that your jumping and their not because many times the will "try to get out of your way" and end up pulling right underneath you. Out braking someone going into a corner and then trying to carry more speed than them around the corner is the most effective way to pass IMO