Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust Flange weld broken

Hello

I have a White Bros. Titanium Exhaust for a YZ450 and the head pipe fell off. The weld on the flange where the head pipe mates broke. Does any one have suggestions.

Local welders wont touch it because the head pipe is titanium and the flange is Aluminum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jason

Hello

I have a White Bros. Titanium Exhaust for a YZ450 and the head pipe fell off. The weld on the flange where the head pipe mates broke. Does any one have suggestions.

Local welders wont touch it because the head pipe is titanium and the flange is Aluminum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jason

Well, if all else fails, send it to me, I'll attempt to weld it, but I'll make no promises, but I won't charge you either, except to ship it.

I've been tig welding for 9yrs, if that makes you feel any better. I weld aluminum from .030 to .125 thk everyday. titanium..I haven't welded, but I'm willing to try.

Zac

:D

I just broke the bracket off my pipe(white bros alum2) that bolts to the frame,I need to have somebody weld it also.

Looks like zwr250f has a business opportunity here... If it helps, Ti welds pretty much like stainless but needs around 35% higher power (based on TA2 v Inconel of same thickness).

I used to work for Senior Aerospace & welded titanium & stainless tubes for expansion bellows all day, although it was about 5 years ago so I don't remember any exact settings for given mat's./gauges. Not sure what effect welding to the Aluminium would have either, I'd try and keep it as cool as possible & use ally filler wire.

If it comes to it I suppose the joint could be brazed, although that could present problems if the pipe then gets too hot.

Looks like zwr250f has a business opportunity here... If it helps, Ti welds pretty much like stainless but needs around 35% higher power (based on TA2 v Inconel of same thickness).

I used to work for Senior Aerospace & welded titanium & stainless tubes for expansion bellows all day, although it was about 5 years ago so I don't remember any exact settings for given mat's./gauges. Not sure what effect welding to the Aluminium would have either, I'd try and keep it as cool as possible & use ally filler wire.

If it comes to it I suppose the joint could be brazed, although that could present problems if the pipe then gets too hot.

You would use aluminum filler wire? My main concern on welding Ti, is having enough trailing gas to let the Ti cool w/o contamination. I would be quite interested in knowing how this would work, as far as the welding of these 2 dissimiliar metals.

I too welded Stainless expansion bellows for exhaust. But I have no knowledge of welding dissimilar metals. Come to think of it.. the variance in heat induced expansion rate may be the reason the weld broke to start with.. hmm..

Well, if all else fails, send it to me, I'll attempt to weld it, but I'll make no promises, but I won't charge you either, except to ship it.

I've been tig welding for 9yrs, if that makes you feel any better. I weld aluminum from .030 to .125 thk everyday. titanium..I haven't welded, but I'm willing to try.

Zac

:D

Don't forget that titanium has to be basically engulfed in shielding gas in order to weld without contamination. If tubing is to be welded, it must be pumped full of argon in order to protect the backside of the weld as well.

Or just build some sort of gas chamber?

Don't forget that titanium has to be basically engulfed in shielding gas in order to weld without contamination. If tubing is to be welded, it must be pumped full of argon in order to protect the backside of the weld as well.

Or just build some sort of gas chamber?

Exactly.