need help with a land use issue

Thanks in advance for your help.

Myself and several riding buddies are in the process of preparing for an upcoming public comment meeting re the BLM's proposed land use plan. We have a relatively small riding area that has a motocross track close to town that the BLM had (years ago) designated as an OHV area. The new plan does not specifically say close the area, but they are looking at options including closing, or giving us a bigger area in a different area.

Anyway, we are in agreement that we want to play up the fact that a lot of kids use the area and that it keeps them doing something positive instead of wandering around getting into trouble. It is in an area that bothers no one(there have been no noise complaints that I know of). We are lucky that we seem to have the local BLM Ranger on our side, but one of her bosses is less supportive.

I wanted to get together a petition and have all of us off roaders(bikes quads and 4X4) sign it to take to the meeting. does anyone have a copy of a petition they have used? If so could you PM a copy?

any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks again

Individual letters will carry more weight than a petition.

In your letters, state how long you have been using the area and how many family members use it. Remind the BLM that they are to provide a variety of recreational opportunities to the public.

If they want to open a larger area, is that a good or bad thing?

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks for your reply. I will get the guys writing some letter ASAP.

The good thing about our present area is that it is close to town. The bad thing is that it is pretty small. It aint much but we like and do not want to loose it without a fight.

Thanks again, and gas for you

First off brewster is right on about individual letters over a petition(petitiononline.com), but you could do both depending on resources and timeframe. Also phone call are very effective. If you can a letter can be drawn for consistency and brought to events etc for sigs. A letter from local businnesses saying the support the track, and the town officials that there are ne complaints etc..

Also I would reach out to you state NOHVCC partners, I have attached link for you, they should have experience in the area and could help.

http://nohvcc.org/contacts/montana.asp

Good Luck.

JP

eli366...thank god for riders like yourself. Being active can be a daunting, exhausting and it is totally consuming. Good for you. I have to share my own "petition" experience when it comes to saving riding areas. I have recieved over 4,000 signatures on a petition. Our petition kills two birds with one stone. It's easy to sign, yet it is an individual letter. We generated a generalized letter, so each signature is essentialy one page. This makes quite the impact when you show up at a BLM meeting with a box full of thousands of pages, even hundreds make an impact. As opposed to a couple flimsy pages of signatures. Power of perception is everything. I have used our petition all over the state and it takes two boxes to carry all of the signed letters. When I present them at a meeting, I make a point to take them out of the box....they represent voices that are desperate to be hear, and they need to be seen.

blah blah blah...I could go on for days about this subject. Let us know what we can do to help you!

It's best if you can generate the letter, because it's a lot to ask of people to sit down and write out a letter. However, they can add their signature and contact info in a matter of seconds.

Maybe the Blue Ribbon Coalition can help you, too...That's what they try to do, keep riding areas open.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Myself and several riding buddies are in the process of preparing for an upcoming public comment meeting re the BLM's proposed land use plan. We have a relatively small riding area that has a motocross track close to town that the BLM had (years ago) designated as an OHV area. The new plan does not specifically say close the area, but they are looking at options including closing, or giving us a bigger area in a different area.

Anyway, we are in agreement that we want to play up the fact that a lot of kids use the area and that it keeps them doing something positive instead of wandering around getting into trouble. It is in an area that bothers no one(there have been no noise complaints that I know of). We are lucky that we seem to have the local BLM Ranger on our side, but one of her bosses is less supportive.

I wanted to get together a petition and have all of us off roaders(bikes quads and 4X4) sign it to take to the meeting. does anyone have a copy of a petition they have used? If so could you PM a copy?

any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks again

no sugestions but good luck to you. god your lucky, CT has 0 acres of public off road land

thankfully my bike is street legal so I just poach trails around town when nobody I know with land is around to ride. no public land so nothing to loose by poaching

Here is a suggestion that worked well for me with the local township; I'm an MSF dirt bike school coach, ATV Safety Institute instructor, and a DNR ATV instructor. I have had my 35 acre property approved for teaching safety schools on it and have even had the town board out to witness a school. This helped estabish my private riding area (which includes a 1 mile MX track and 1.5 miles of trails as well as my school training field) as a legitimate safety training area. Much good press and all the locals know we teach kids safety schools there. It makes it harder to justify closing us down.

If you have a local instructor that could teach classes there, get them to contact the SVIA/MSF and register the area for safety schools and then hold some there and invite the local press.

Thanks again guys, I have called the Blue Ribbons guys and will contact MTs NOHVCC

Keep up the good fight

I think we are going to do a petition as well as letter writing campain. I found this on the BLM page:

The Bureau of Land Management, "Take It Outside" program promotes and supports outdoor activities and experiences of children on the public lands. The program strives to improve the health of our nation's children, families, and communities, while at the same time developing the next generation of public land stewards.

Considering 80% of the users of our little OHV area are kids it seems a bit of a contradiction.:D