Valve Issue, alternative?

have an 05 205x w/ maybe 2000 miles on it. brought it to the shop and it needs a $1600 reapir, valves, piston and head. Is there a better alternative than the oem honda parts, or anything i might as well upgrade while going through this?

The better repair is to do it yourself. Probably half that cost is labor, maybe more than half. You can do valves and piston for a couple hundred, maybe $350. The head...I'm not sure about, but it seems like you could get one for a couple hundred bucks too. Then, just find a nice friend off TT from your area that you can buy beer and food for to oversee you doing the job.

Plus, if you do it yourself, you learn HOW to do it, so you can do more repairs yourself. Dumping money into shop labor is a waste if you can avoid it.

You can get a Ron Hamp head for around $750, The only technical part is setting up the valves and making sure the seats, guides and valve relationships are true. You could pm Agentsmith for the head work, then install everything yourself. The Agent is in Cali somewhere. ( RHC head would already be machined correctly whereas some oem heads may need the seat/guide relation trued- it would be worth checking at a minimum on an oem head)

copiede from another post- If you need to get a piston later, Agent Smith turned me on to a seller on eBay where I got a complete OEM setup with gaskets, circlip, rings and piston for 104.00 shipped. A great deal.

And I am not sure if the RHC head includes valves but if they don't you can add 2 - 3 hundred more depending on which valves you decide to go with.

Ran Hamp and Agentsmith are both well known on this forum and are always helpful. This would bring your total to around a grand for better head, coated valves and a high compression R piston.

Wow...okay, apparently I was way off on my pricing estimates. :D

You could do the piston and valves for less by skimping and not replacing the springs, but the eng guys don't recommend that. There is some difference in price between the brands. Agentsmith and Ron Hamp highly recommend the special Ferrea (spelling?) that RHC sells. The head has the port job, so you are not getting run of the mill oem stuff there. Also a factor if you go with SS valves you should go with heavier spring rates.

I'd have to say call AgentSmith.

have an 05 205x w/ maybe 2000 miles on it. brought it to the shop and it needs a $1600 reapir, valves, piston and head. Is there a better alternative than the oem honda parts, or anything i might as well upgrade while going through this?

I'd say if you got 2000 miles out of the first set of valves, the head is a good one, install new oem valves, r-piston & rings, gaskets and call it a day, thats what I been doing to mine. Just did one for a friend this morning, parts were 233.50 retail, all Honda parts, labor was 4.0 hours at 65.00 an hour = 260.00, total on the R.O. was 493.50, minus 7% sales tax.

Just my 2 cents,

Moose

I'd say if you got 2000 miles out of the first set of valves, the head is a good one, install new oem valves, r-piston & rings, gaskets and call it a day, thats what I been doing to mine. Just did one for a friend this morning, parts were 233.50 retail, all Honda parts, labor was 4.0 hours at 65.00 an hour = 260.00, total on the R.O. was 493.50, minus 7% sales tax.

Just my 2 cents,

Moose

There you go, a real quote, and 4 hrs labor seems reasonable.

The Ron Hamp head is a 2007 crf250x head with the fera (sp?) springs and valves.

I'd have to say call AgentSmith.

He also did the heads on our bikes.

The board has a lot of info on how to do it. It's not hard at all to do. $1,600 someone is taking you to the bank. Where in CA are you?