Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 fork upgrades

I have a 1997 KX 250 That I ride in the trails. The type of trails are very rocky and have lots of roots. I'm not a woods racer but I pretend to be. I have been told if I rework my forks it will greatly improve my ride quality. I have to do my seals soon so I figure new springs are in order for my weight (195 lbs). Can someone give me some ideas what else to do to my forks? Thanks.

I have a '97 whick I use for similar sort of riding and rebuilt forks with Race Tech Gold Valves, modified the mid valve and followed the Race Tech shim recommendations for my weight and riding type. The result was a definite improvement in plushness and predictability of handling but they didn't really come into my own until I had the rear shock rebuilt and valved to suit my weight etc by a very good suspension technician. Having both done made a HUGE difference to the predictability and confidence and made me a lot quicker. Definitely the best money I have ever spent on the bike.

My next experiment is to try a '97 specific Ohlins rear shock and '06 Ohlins forks but I'm enjoying the revaled stock set up so much at the moment that the Ohlins swap never seems to get to the top of the list :D

The other thing to check is that you have fresh and suitable rubber. This will make a make a big difference on roots. A lot of the top enduro guys are running trials tyres for rocky and roots terrain.

Let us know how you get on.