2003 XR650R CA Plate?

I am thinking of picking up a used 2003 XR650R as I was wondering if I could plate it living in California. The bike currently is not plated but I was thinking 03 was the last year that could be plated. Is it as easy as putting on a Baja Designs Kit and going to the DMV?

By the letter of the law you can't plate a dirt bike anymore unless it was built in 1977 or earlier. To plate a bike built in 1978 or later it must have an emissions sticker that says it meets on road emissions. The XR650R has a sticker that says it meets off road emissions. No plate for you.

California stopped plating dirt bikes on Jan 1 2004.

Cleo is exactly right, although some shave slipped through over the years. Better to find a 650 that is already CA plated than buy one and HOPE you can get it plated.

How does CA deal with an out of state XRR? If I exported my titled and plated moto into your state, what would be the criteria for acceptance or denial. Would it matter if I sold it into CA or if I moved there and wanted to use it?

Seems like Ahrrrrnolt should clear the underbrush of brutal state regulations....

By the letter of the law you can't plate a dirt bike anymore unless it was built in 1977 or earlier. To plate a bike built in 1978 or later it must have an emissions sticker that says it meets on road emissions. The XR650R has a sticker that says it meets off road emissions. No plate for you.

yup - it's not the year of mfg, but the year it was 1st registered.

How does CA deal with an out of state XRR? If I exported my titled and plated moto into your state, what would be the criteria for acceptance or denial. Would it matter if I sold it into CA or if I moved there and wanted to use it?

Seems like Ahrrrrnolt should clear the underbrush of brutal state regulations....

yup - it's not the year of mfg, but the year it was 1st registered.

Again by the letter of the law it is NOT eligible for a plate. It all comes down to the emissions sticker. When you bring a vehicle into California they do a VIN verification. Part of that process is examining the emissions sticker. If it says "off road emissions" you do not get a plate period.

A lot do get plates though. Most get revoked when the central office checks the registration paperwork. When bringing a plated bike into the state you have a much better chance that they make a mistake and give you a plate.

Sounds like I have been misinformed....man what a pain. With the way land is closing I will need a plate to go anywhere...

Ya could just trade for a dual ride like an L. There are alot of folks that would jump at an R. I think ya can arrange to buy the title for like a buck and pay $0.07 in sales tax. (may be Blue Book now).

Again by the letter of the law it is NOT eligible for a plate. It all comes down to the emissions sticker. When you bring a vehicle into California they do a VIN verification. Part of that process is examining the emissions sticker. If it says "off road emissions" you do not get a plate period.

A lot do get plates though. Most get revoked when the central office checks the registration paperwork. When bringing a plated bike into the state you have a much better chance that they make a mistake and give you a plate.

So did they grandfather all bikes that had current "On Road Titles" or when it came up for the new registration did they yank them?

So did they grandfather all bikes that had current "On Road Titles" or when it came up for the new registration did they yank them?

Yes all completed before the 2004 cutoff, including my XR600, are grandfathered in.

mmm... my point was/is there seems to be alot people in CA selling their pre '04, green stickered, bikes & telling folks they can go to the DMV & get a plate for them as a "selling point" ~ which as we know is not the case.

As I said, it's the year it was 1st taggd in CA, not the year of MFG that determines it's "legality" in CA.

As others have said, no way you can plate an XRR in California any more. Just go buy one that already has the plate on it. Like I did!

:D Az.......................

+1 spend the extra few hundered $$ they want because it has a plate on it and you can spend all that wasted time you would of been at the DMV out riding

As others have said, no way you can plate an XRR in California any more. Just go buy one that already has the plate on it. Like I did!

Thats in the works....but its an '02