Sign in to follow this  

Baja Videos and pictures... Old and New

Guys...

Was watching this old vid (link below)... some of it's re-edited from other video's, and actually... the "cool world" soundtrack by Ministry is catchy as they mix in Weatherman.

... but, best of all... at minute 6:26, just Classic!!

Cameraman;

"What do you think of the 2007 Baja 500 so far"

Racer;

<insert sarcastic laugh here>

"... mumble mumble ... the first half was great until I hit the trucks..."

<pause, add serious tone>

"...trucks suck man"

Here's the video link;

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a repost, but one to remember;

... scary stuff

Silty section of the Baja 250;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr6_q6uxA4Y

I guess TTs and 4wheeled vehicles can go TOO fast through the rolling whoops;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6v_5UVPKw

Is this our moderator?

:worthy:

And to the M'Fers that make the "traps"; :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ74qfqXfL8 (watch the end!)

This is really old, but still informative (same problems then as now);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG_tqQxNq6o

... love Robby Gordon's old truck.

As you find good moto vids from "Baja" related races... post'em up!

JAT do you have any from 1971,72???:D:ride:

Thanks, Corky:ride: :worthy:

JAT do you have any from 1971,72???:D:ride:

Thanks, Corky:ride: :worthy:

Video... you know I can find some. :ride:

... my girlfriends parents have loads of video, as they raced SCORE back in '67 and later.

But for now, I'll see what I can dig up online.

But, here... pictures and stories will have to do for now;

http://www.bajabronco.com/Jackson.shtml

Or shoot, why not read up on one of your good stories!!

http://www.baja.net/articles/71prerun.html

... this one is classic. Hotel rooms?? We don't need no hotel;

Jackson6.jpg

I like these two better.... Maybe the rest of the Baja Crew can play a little trivia?!?!

WHO IS THIS RIDER?? WHAT YEAR WOULD IT HAVE BEEN???

46616852_fM79G-M.jpg

45223753_2ouyy-M.jpg

JA, like the pic of the old Baja Bronco. I have had a 74 Bronco since 1990. Dirtbikes are more fun but I enjoy getting out in the Bronco and doing trail rides in Big Bear, local deserts, Glamis, etc.

JA, like the pic of the old Baja Bronco. I have had a 74 Bronco since 1990. Dirtbikes are more fun but I enjoy getting out in the Bronco and doing trail rides in Big Bear, local deserts, Glamis, etc.

I love the old Broncos as well. I remember watching them as kids... little kids. Exciting for sure.

... so your name should be XR/CR/BroncoDave ?! :D Pretty cool, glad to hear your a 4wheeler too.

JAT I'm a bit old and I did fall off a turtle one time but didn't hurt myself.:worthy:

I am also a bit slow but your not going to slip that one by me!!:D

Corky:ride: :ride:

Killer old school pics: true classics that should be posters.

I appreciate the history of racing south of the border... I mean, 40 years ago... what was it like, safer or scarier?

A show called "Chasing Baja" aired on Speed Channel back in April. The production was premiered in Hollywood on March 27th. Has anybody seen it and is it any good?

Anybody have any idea how I could get a copy of it?

Guys...

Was watching this old vid (link below)... some of it's re-edited from other video's, and actually... the "cool world" soundtrack by Ministry is catchy as they mix in Weatherman.

... but, best of all... at minute 6:26, just Classic!!

Cameraman;

"What do you think of the 2007 Baja 500 so far"

Racer;

<insert sarcastic laugh here>

"... mumble mumble ... the first half was great until I hit the trucks..."

<pause, add serious tone>

"...trucks suck man"

Here's the video link;

This is a repost, but one to remember;

... scary stuff

Silty section of the Baja 250;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr6_q6uxA4Y

I guess TTs and 4wheeled vehicles can go TOO fast through the rolling whoops;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6v_5UVPKw

Is this our moderator?

:ride:

And to the M'Fers that make the "traps"; :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ74qfqXfL8 (watch the end!)

This is really old, but still informative (same problems then as now);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG_tqQxNq6o

... love Robby Gordon's old truck.

As you find good moto vids from "Baja" related races... post'em up!

Glad to see in the scarey clip where they drug that spectator out of his truck and kicked his a** :worthy:

I like these two better.... Maybe the rest of the Baja Crew can play a little trivia?!?!

46616852_fM79G-M.jpg

The first Image is from the 1970 Barstow to Vegas!! Here is of me from that same photo guy riding a 1970 Yamaha 125cc AT1mx to victory in the 250cc Novice class! And, I have to add, I was 2nd overall novice in the first race that D-37 started the Novices on their own line! My buddy Bob Dotson was first on a 400cc 4 speed Husky.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/Chase2/1970B2V.jpg[/img]"]1970B2V.jpg

The first Image is from the 1970 Barstow to Vegas!! Here is of me from that same photo guy riding a 1970 Yamaha 125cc AT1mx to victory in the 250cc Novice class! And, I have to add, I was 2nd overall novice in the first race that D-37 started the Novices on their own line! My buddy Bob Dotson was first on a 400cc 4 speed Husky.

Great photo. Looks like you guys knew the secret of the trials tires way back then.

Oh yes... excellent photo, and your absolutely right... same "photo guy" taking the pics, in his favorite spot!!! Great pic. :D

... and to note, I think most down hill mountain bikes have more travel than bikes did back then.

I grew up on a 1972 DT125 (just after I outgrew my MX80), and those bikes weren't much... especially not a "racer". I'm not sure how anyone did huge miles with those bikes... what a beating!!

:worthy: .. to all the old-timers

Great photo. Looks like you guys knew the secret of the trials tires way back then.

The bike was tricked out with all the good stuff. However, the trials tires were for anything but traction!!! The trials tires were for flotation in the sand and with a 125, we used them was so you could break traction to keep it on the pipe and not bog down in the sand. (The clutches weren't strong enough to fan all the time). The trail bike heroes (100cc) used street tires to keep them spinning and not bog! The 21" front wheel over the stock 18" helped, but the fork was a noodle (the Webco fork brace helped a bit) and no one every re-valved or even change the oil in them. I did have Charlie Curnutt's shocks which were tuned to me and was a tremendous help. The larger gas tank was a modified aftermarket tank for a Bultaco Pursang. The pipe was a made by Daryl Bassani with NO silencer. My ears rang for days after a race. Yeah, we took beatings, but at 17 years old we thought we were tough guys.

So the guy on the Husky in the 70 B2V is the same guy on the #32 XR in Baja. Its the same helmet with the Old School Football helmet guard. At first I thought his helmet was painted like he was in the Checkers MC. That and with being in Baja on an early XR, I was guessing it was Gene Cannady or Steve Holiday both of who were Checkers and used to ride with Al Baker (and win) on the early XRs that Al helped develop out of Long Beach Honda. Closer examination shows that its not a Checkers helmet and its not a Long Beach Honda scooter. Now I'm confused, I think the XR dates around 75 or 76, did this guy use the same helmet for 5 or 6 years???

A show called "Chasing Baja" aired on Speed Channel back in April. The production was premiered in Hollywood on March 27th. Has anybody seen it and is it any good?

Anybody have any idea how I could get a copy of it?

It has run several times since then and may run again. I tevo'd it so I can watch it when I want. Just do a title search every now and then. It follows a buggy team and what they went through to get to the finish. Not much for the bikes but still worth watching.

The bike was tricked out with all the good stuff. However, the trials tires were for anything but traction!!! The trials tires were for flotation in the sand and with a 125, we used them was so you could break traction to keep it on the pipe and not bog down in the sand. (The clutches weren't strong enough to fan all the time). The trail bike heroes (100cc) used street tires to keep them spinning and not bog! The 21" front wheel over the stock 18" helped, but the fork was a noodle (the Webco fork brace helped a bit) and no one every re-valved or even change the oil in them. I did have Charlie Curnutt's shocks which were tuned to me and was a tremendous help. The larger gas tank was a modified aftermarket tank for a Bultaco Pursang. The pipe was a made by Daryl Bassani with NO silencer. My ears rang for days after a race. Yeah, we took beatings, but at 17 years old we thought we were tough guys.

My first real bike was a 73 yamaha ct3 175. My first race was when my parents went out of town I borrowed a hooker header and put on a wooden number plate and went to the local motocross. I got the hole shot and didn't no what to do so I crashed. Broke my front wooden number plate. Latter I tricked it out with a preston petty front fender.

My first set of Curnutts went on my Penton 175 in'76. They worked well.

My firtst enduro was in 1973. 35 years ago. I broke my collar bone and my sister won a trophy. I should have known! We will be riding that same enduro in two weeks. My 79yr old father, 24yr old son, 47yr old sister, 19yr old nefew and my 12 yr old grand son will all be on the same minute. Crazy!!

Gary

My first real bike was a 73 yamaha ct3 175. My first race was when my parents went out of town I borrowed a hooker header and put on a wooden number plate and went to the local motocross. I got the hole shot and didn't no what to do so I crashed. Broke my front wooden number plate. Latter I tricked it out with a preston petty front fender.

My first set of Curnutts went on my Penton 175 in'76. They worked well.

My firtst enduro was in 1973. 35 years ago. I broke my collar bone and my sister won a trophy. I should have known! We will be riding that same enduro in two weeks. My 79yr old father, 24yr old son, 47yr old sister, 19yr old nefew and my 12 yr old grand son will all be on the same minute. Crazy!!

Gary

My first dirt dike was a 1972 CT2 175 with BOGE rear shocks. They sucked. I got 4th in my first hare & hound (cross country) in 1974. It had a Bassani pipe on it and was also ported.:D

So the guy on the Husky in the 70 B2V is the same guy on the #32 XR in Baja. Its the same helmet with the Old School Football helmet guard. At first I thought his helmet was painted like he was in the Checkers MC. That and with being in Baja on an early XR, I was guessing it was Gene Cannady or Steve Holiday both of who were Checkers and used to ride with Al Baker (and win) on the early XRs that Al helped develop out of Long Beach Honda. Closer examination shows that its not a Checkers helmet and its not a Long Beach Honda scooter. Now I'm confused, I think the XR dates around 75 or 76, did this guy use the same helmet for 5 or 6 years???

Trogdor,

I will give you a hint.

The second picture is 1 year after the the first picture.

The bike is a Ducati.

I don't think Cannady was ever a checker.

Yes he did team with the checkers you mentioned.

Thank for your replys,

corky:ride: :D