how do you know when your cam chain tensioner is BAD???

I have a 06 CRF450 that is my bone stock practice bike and it just got to the 48hr mark and I just got this ticking noise coming from it and its not real contestant. So I check the valves and piston and they are all good and in spec so I am a little lost on what the problem can be.

your best bet is to replace it anyways... its cheap insurance

when it backs out and takes the piston cam and valves and head with it......if not the crank and crankcase also.......total destruction.......get a manual tt unit

ya i know its cheap ins (45bucks) but i want to know how can you tell its bad? what can you do to test it ? i dont have a problem with buying a new ones, i just want to know how to tell if its bad

i know what it can do if it goes bad im no cheap ass that dont like to pay to fix my bikes

The reality is there is not a way to test it....it's got a one-way ratchet mechanism and if it fails...You will be , Sorry.

I have a 06 CRF450 that is my bone stock practice bike and it just got to the 48hr mark and I just got this ticking noise coming from it and its not real contestant. So I check the valves and piston and they are all good and in spec so I am a little lost on what the problem can be.

your best bet is to make it into a jamed manuel unit ----( no need to buy a new one ---i have seen new ones fail )

i add a peice of 5/16th copper tubing in the unit so it can not ever slip or back up ,

all auto tensioners will fail and are suspect-------i jam all of them and be done with it before it can cause a problem, ---because it will !

i wish they where like the kaxi ones they are simple and easy. these are a dumb screw type

your best bet is to make it into a jamed manuel unit ----( no need to buy a new one ---i have seen new ones fail )

i add a peice of 5/16th copper tubing in the unit so it can not ever slip or back up ,

all auto tensioners will fail and are suspect-------i jam all of them and be done with it before it can cause a problem, ---because it will !

I'm intrigued!

So you just take a little length of 5/16 tubing and insert it into the tensioner and replace the bolt?

I have a manual one currently but like the idea you have posed as the manual one sticks out too far and makes it hard to adjust my fuel screw.