Sign in to follow this  

Newbie with question

Well to start off with I have been contemplating on getting a motorcycle for a while now and I think I may get a DRZ400sm. I took the MSF course a few weeks ago and passed and got my motorcycle endorsement :D. My question is after the break in period.. How many miles do you go in between oil changes?

I change mine every 3000 miles with full synthetic motorcycle oil, just turned over 38,000 miles with zero problems.

I do 500 miles w/ dino oil, and 1000 miles w/ synthetic, changing the filter each time. 15-50 seems to be the preferred weight in the DRZ instead of 10-40. Use new crush washers on the frame and crank drain bolts, make sure both o-rings are in place, behind the filter and on the filter cover, and don't remove the drain plug directly below the oil filter. Clean the frame screen at the first oil change interval. The "how-to" is in the FAQ's pinned to the top of the DRZ 400 section here on TT. :D

1,000 miles with Syn. First change at 50 miles though. Went to Syn then. Break in is basically over in the first few minutes of running. Just avoid abusing the bike for the first few hundred miles (like no hole shots or other extreme loading).

Just avoid abusing the bike for the first few hundred miles (like no hole shots or other extreme loading).

oops :D