Sign in to follow this  

Porting/Performance section on TT

I just made a suggestion on the 'Suggestion Box' section of TT that we have a general Porting/Performance section for everything to do with 2 and 4 stroke performance mods.

This site is regarded as a bible for suspension knowledge, and we have a dedicated Jetting section so why not do the same with Porting/Performance knowledge?

There is no shortage of very knowledgable people on TT and there is heaps of good info here but it is scattered all over the place. I'm thinking that topics such as 2 stroke porting, 4 stroke porting, ignition timing, compression ratio, fuel properties, valve design, and head design could be discussed in one forum and still have relevance to most makes and models.

I have been trying to understand 2 stroke porting for about a year now and have found lots of great info here and elsewhere, but it is really difficult to find. I have read heaps of books and played with cylinders in the shed but it would be great to bounce ideas off people, and hopefully get advice from others who are more knowledgable. What i'm hoping for is a section which really gets into the technical detail of these topics... I know we can do it!

If are interested in this idea show your support by replying to my post under the Suggestion Box section on TT.

Thanks Dave.

Surely i can't be the only person here who wants to learn more about this stuff?

Anyone...

I'd be interested in reading, but I really couldn't contribute much. There are a few tuning guru's like Kelstr that have so much knowledge but it gets very technical and way over the heads of the average "Joe Plumber" owner/ tuner.

I'd be interested in reading, but I really couldn't contribute much. There are a few tuning guru's like Kelstr that have so much knowledge but it gets very technical and way over the heads of the average "Joe Plumber" owner/ tuner.

I'm guessing that you probably speak for a lot of people out there, myself included. i dont really know how much i could contribute either but i'm sure that with some good discussion and open questions we could all learn something and become more confident. Of course it'd rely on having a few smarter guys who could guide things in the early days, or maybe find a moderator like the jetting and suspension sections.

One good way to start it would be for someone to do a write up on their own attempt at performance work. That would certainly promote discussion and then i'm sure people would come out of the wood work with questions and answers.

Ive got a spare cylinder for my cr250 in the shed and ive been thinking of trying some basic porting... maybe i'll do it soon and do my own write up.

I'm really keen to get this going...

Here's my contribution:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669610&highlight=

A major reason for taking the time to write that up was to inspire more threads like it. Most people are understandably afraid to really tear into their motors, but a lot of people could benefit from having an established place to get all the info they need to modify their bikes and get them performing the way they really want them, either by their own hands or by helping a professional work with them. It took an ungodly amount of research, but using mostly internet forums (and a performance handbook) I created a bike that had a perfect powerband for what I needed it to do. I didn't have the tools or porting program to do the complete job by myself, but I sent the tuner pics and notes of what I had done and got EXACTLY what I wanted.

This is an awesome idea.:D

Here's my contribution:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669610&highlight=

A major reason for taking the time to write that up was to inspire more threads like it. Most people are understandably afraid to really tear into their motors, but a lot of people could benefit from having an established place to get all the info they need to modify their bikes and get them performing the way they really want them, either by their own hands or by helping a professional work with them. It took an ungodly amount of research, but using mostly internet forums (and a performance handbook) I created a bike that had a perfect powerband for what I needed it to do. I didn't have the tools or porting program to do the complete job by myself, but I sent the tuner pics and notes of what I had done and got EXACTLY what I wanted.

This is an awesome idea.:D

Doctor D, your write up is actually what inspired me to suggest this. I really enjoyed reading it and it made me want to get out into the shed and do the same to my motor. Good work! :worthy:

What you say about making the perfect powerband is spot on! People have learned that you can tailor your suspension, so why not your powerband?... i think it can be done by the average home mechanic with the right info.

By the way, which performance book did you use? Was it Eric Gorrs book? I think it was from what i remember of your post. Have you read A. Graham Bell's "2 stroke performance tuning" by any chance? Thats a great book!