Sign in to follow this  

Desert lights on a 300 XC-w

I'm going for a solo run at the Baja 100 this year. Lights are the the tough part. I'm riding my '09 300 XC-w. I think I'm gonna power two Niterider HID's off of my stator (buffered by my battery, of course). Does anyone know if i'd be able to push a 60w halogen bulb on this baike as well? I don't really want to rewind my stator to do this. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to electricity so any input would help. Thanks!

The manual says the generator is capable of 110 watts at 12 volts. Thats probably a max number and dependant on engine speed.

If it were me I'd run the two HID's, look for two 25 watt units then add a 60 watt headlight.

Be sure to have separate on/off switches.

One for the head light and a switch to run either one or both Niteriders.

Thanks for the help, what would happen if the bulbs were drawing more than the stator would produce? Would it just draw the battery down and then the lights dim? Would it cause damage?

Thanks for the help, what would happen if the bulbs were drawing more than the stator would produce? Would it just draw the battery down and then the lights dim? Would it cause damage?

yes, it would overdraw the battery since you are pulling more from it than it can handle.

so I have been down this road with my 08 300 xcw due not rewind the stator it wont last replace it with a trial tec I ran a BD 8" race light and a 50wt Cyclops helmet light finished and won 3 night races this past summer

I am assuming your talking about the 1000 are you planing on ironmaning it or are you teaming it ?

I suggested separate switches for each light to allow you to test the bikes ability to power 1, 2 or all at the same time and select what you want and when.

so I have been down this road with my 08 300 xcw due not rewind the stator it wont last replace it with a trial tec I ran a BD 8" race light and a 50wt Cyclops helmet light finished and won 3 night races this past summer

I am assuming your talking about the 1000 are you planing on ironmaning it or are you teaming it ?

Where did you hook up the helmet light to? i have a Lead Dog and want to give it a try on my bike, along with the OEM EXC stock light i have on there now.

Where did you hook up the helmet light to? i have a Lead Dog and want to give it a try on my bike, along with the OEM EXC stock light i have on there now.

not positive if you can due it wit the stock wire harness but its worth a try .

I made up a Y and spliced it in just after the battery and ran the pig tail up under the tank and just zip tied it too the bars .You may need to float the ground for some extra power it all depends on the wattage of your lights just don't wast the money on a rewound K-3 stator they don't last

not positive if you can due it wit the stock wire harness but its worth a try .

I made up a Y and spliced it in just after the battery and ran the pig tail up under the tank and just zip tied it too the bars .You may need to float the ground for some extra power it all depends on the wattage of your lights just don't wast the money on a rewound K-3 stator they don't last

Thanks i'll give that a try. i'm running a 65W bulb in the OEM style head light and want to also run my Lead dog helmet light which is 35W i think. Really like the ability to have light where i look cause we do alot of exloring around.

Call baja Designs and talk to Diego. Use helmet light too, they're very helpful if you have to work on the bike.

yes they are very helpful but like I said DON'T rewind the stator they burn up and Baja Designs dos not warranty them

Thanks i'll give that a try. I'm running a 65W bulb in the OEM style head light and want to also run my Lead dog helmet light which is 35W i think. Really like the ability to have light where i look cause we do a lot of exploring around.

Your pushing it with that much wattage on the stock stator you need to float the ground

yes they are very helpful but like I said DON'T rewind the stator they burn up and Baja Designs dos not warranty them

I run a bulb that draws 50 watts but puts out a 100 and no rewind. Seems to work pretty well, not enough light for Baja speed though.

So, dumb this down for me and please tell me if I've got something wrong; my 8" headlight draws 55w. My HID's (2 of them) draw 20w each. I was planning on powering the 8" off of the stock wiring harness behind the number plate that came with the bike and powering the HID's off of the battery. Does anyone see a problem with this?

The manual says the generator is capable of 110 watts at 12 volts. Thats probably a max number and dependant on engine speed.

If it were me I'd run the two HID's, look for two 25 watt units then add a 60 watt headlight.

Be sure to have separate on/off switches.

One for the head light and a switch to run either one or both Niteriders.

The Manual said 110 watts but it's split for charging the battery.

I am trying to find out what the headlight output actually has?

on my 08 300 XCWe I have a 65w H7 and it will work with no rewinding or wiring. http://www.pmxtec.com/HLKit.htm

Why do you say this?Have you had bad experiences?Have you heard about this from at least a couple people?How long do they last?

The reason I ask is I am buying a new stator on monday and wont send mine out to them.I will buy one direct from trailtrick unless anyone has heard bad things?They say it will put out 100w at Idle and is the same price as rewinding.My light will be so bright I will be able to ride at night.Now it barely lights up when idleing,I would not even consider riding fast at night.