Sign in to follow this  

Dixie Dual Sport Help

I had posted in several different forums here and ADV rider asking about the Dixie Dual Sport Roll Chart from a ride in N GA to NC. I had met a guy at deals gap that day riding a KLR and he had expressed that they had ridden 200 miles. I was up there dual sport riding alone ( my choice method of riding). I thought that it would be a good time since I am up there almost every weekend riding the mountains of N GA to TN, I'd give this route they took a whirl.

So I asked if I could grab a copy from someone not knowing that they were private, and held closely. I received several harsh replies that were not warranted and I apologized to Swampy for the misunderstanding and tried to reason with the other supporters of the paid rides, not possible!

I give up on people with such narrow minds that they won't accept an apology for a mistake and move on!

SO swampy if you get word that I posted here too, know that this one went up prior to the ones on adv which got attention early on.

Hey I am looking to grab a copy of a Dixie dual sport roll chart that was used on a ride at the first weekend in October 2008 from N Georgia to Deals Gap and back. I met up with a couple of guys riding KLR650s at the Deals Gap store and found out about the Dixie dual sport ride, but DDS is not sponsoring any rides that way again this year and I would like to make that trip with a few friends in the next few weeks. So any help would be appreciated, and I will compensate for the copying and postage.

Cheers,

Jody

The response you've already received on ADV

And the DDS, have pretty well been negative

tsk, tsk, tsk....:D

Hey I am looking to grab a copy of a Dixie dual sport roll chart that was used on a ride at the first weekend in October 2008 from N Georgia to Deals Gap and back. I met up with a couple of guys riding KLR650s at the Deals Gap store and found out about the Dixie dual sport ride, but DDS is not sponsoring any rides that way again this year and I would like to make that trip with a few friends in the next few weeks. So any help would be appreciated, and I will compensate for the copying and postage.

Cheers,

Jody

That's just wrong and you've been told....

I hope no one helps him :D

You dont need a roll chart from any of those guys to have a great ride in NC.Just get you a NC atlas and Gazetteer and do some exploring and you can find lots of riding that may be better than there planed rides.I dont spend any money riding organized rides in western NC because there is so much more riding to be done here.I know of lots of private trails in WNC but I would never tell anyone of those.Only locals know,like Yanni, and maybe a few more and I hope They dont tell or show anyone.There is lots of places to ride without haveing a roll chart.Get out and explore.

Jody,

Another site...same response....you don't get it?????

Maybe you should do your homework before you spout out! POSTED HERE ON THUMPER TALK FIRST!

adv rider post time1

10-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Maybe you should do your homework before you spout out! POSTED HERE ON THUMPER TALK FIRST!

adv rider post time1

10-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Sorry I don't keep track of the exact time of your posts. I'll work on that issue. Glad to see you are still making friends! As for spouting out...atleast I never rode my own dick:thumbsup:

I've pm'd some local riding holes to guys w/o problem. Is it really

that big of a deal to keep it out of the hands of a fellow d/s'er?

I realize fully that we cant post directions to stuff as the 4 wheelers

will get it closed quick but,how often do you see a fellow dual

sporter being destructive and getting stuff closed.

I've just never had a problem with the dual sportin crowd.:lol:

Hope I never do.

Tony

So much for that warm southern welcome??????????

I have went out of the way to gather guys from up north to make trips to Brimstone and a few others. I have allways felt the welcome mat out and everyone was more than happy to take my money.

We have plenty of riding, just thought it would be nice to check out some other areas, looks like I need to stay clear of NC or be sent home with my tail between my legs.

Yanni,

I know where you are comming from.

I done the Brimstone thing just because if not supported, they will not be around and that much more area goes down the tube.

You have to admit (as much as I love your reports), it sure sends the message of "come join the party".

My only point out of the post was, a simple PM to the guy saying some things need kept low key and invite or guide is how you see them.

We have plenty of areas also, and like you, if you want to see them you need some connections. At that point is where the low key kicks in and PM's are used.

:lol:

Come on down anytime man. :p

Most of it has to do with the fact that we've seen our mountains disapper drastically over a short period of time. Ask KelloggSS. We used to be able to ride for 3 counties entirely offroad. Now there is a mega-development at the base of every mountain we know. It's due to overpopulation and the word getting out. People come in by the hundreds, decide they like it here, then move in on top of us. It's happening daily around here and all my locals on here will agree.

We stay tight-lipped because we've seen what happens when the word gets out on the internet. Just look at Deal's Gap. It's ruined because it's so overcrowded. We sound like a hardcore bunch but we have plenty of good reason. I personally don't want the South lookin' like what the North looks like....everybody stacked on top of each other with nowhere to ride. Too many people and too many opinions up there. Yanni OUT>>>

A bunch of d/s'ers built houses?:lol:

I can understand your anger at developers coming in

to tear out chunks of mountain,make a quick buck, and leave

herds of live-in tourists behind but, in reality, that didnt happen

because somebody gave out directions to some good trails.

It happened because a developer paid off a county official

to let him start building mega subdivisions.Neither of them gave

a rats azz that their destroying something beautiful.

Probably neither of them also knew where a single trail was or cared to.

Your business relies on people not knowing where the good

riding is in your area. If they did, you wouldnt have that business long.

The main threat to my riding area is 4wheelers. I'll show my trails

to most folks on dirtbikes but wont post em on the net.

Theres gotta be a little give and take with us D/s'ers or we're

just as selfish(and doomed) as the 4wheeler clowns.:lol:

Just my .02

Tony

Funny that I stumbled across this thread now. I just emailed Swampy about perhaps getting a copy of their adventure ride from a couple months ago as we're gonna ride in that area (hopefully) this weekend if the weather cooperates. Then I started searching and read that cross-linked thread on ADV rider. Thanks to those who posted that.

I felt dumb for even asking after I read Swampy's rationale so I immediately sent a follow-up email to Robert and he just replied saying that some of the adventure routes will be released to DDS Members (of which I am) early next year so folks can ride them on their own if they like. Very generous.

I fully support DDS and the concept of intelectual property like a roll chart that took maybe even hundreds of combined hours to generate. Actually, I had a couple of them from rides gone by over the years but appearently tossed them out a few months ago while cleaning up one of my paperwork areas.

Then again, for a dues-paying member of an organization, I believe that portions of the route should be made available if they are on public land. That's extra work for the organizers to sift through the data and edit it accordingly. Frankly, if I was Swampy, I'd do just that on a limited basis but I'd charge a small fee for them. Maybe $10 or $20 bucks per copy, and have the purchaser sign a document which states they are not going to copy or otherwise distribute the data. Kind-of like a EULA when you purchase software. Kinda licensing the roll chart for a single-user sort of thing.

There was also some discussion on GPS usage and compiling the "tracks" after doing a ride here and there on these forums. Personally, I don't see any problem with someone using a GPS. I mean, it'd be easy for a person to stash a hand-held in their pocket and covertly capture the route by simply riding it. But that sort of stuff can be dealt with the way you guys have dealt with this questions; with peer pressure. I think your all right on the mark and I applaud your moral and ethical standards.

Another reason I love hangin' out with motorcyclists of all types.

Later!

-Tom

WELL SAID TONY!

A bunch of d/s'ers built houses?:p

I can understand your anger at developers coming in

to tear out chunks of mountain,make a quick buck, and leave

herds of live-in tourists behind but, in reality, that didnt happen

because somebody gave out directions to some good trails.

It happened because a developer paid off a county official

to let him start building mega subdivisions.Neither of them gave

a rats azz that their destroying something beautiful.

Probably neither of them also knew where a single trail was or cared to.

Your business relies on people not knowing where the good

riding is in your area. If they did, you wouldnt have that business long.

The main threat to my riding area is 4wheelers. I'll show my trails

to most folks on dirtbikes but wont post em on the net.

Theres gotta be a little give and take with us D/s'ers or we're

just as selfish(and doomed) as the 4wheeler clowns.:lol:

Just my .02

Tony

So much for that warm southern welcome??????????

I have went out of the way to gather guys from up north to make trips to Brimstone and a few others. I have allways felt the welcome mat out and everyone was more than happy to take my money.

We have plenty of riding, just thought it would be nice to check out some other areas, looks like I need to stay clear of NC or be sent home with my tail between my legs.

I know of miles of legal forest service roads in weastern NC. I love to ride and would like to ride more if I knew more people that liked to ride but I'm not paying to ride with or want to get payed. If you want to see the trails I know I will show them to you. Just tell me when you want to meet.

Why do you think a 4 wheeler will get it closed faster then a dual sport or dirt bike will? I have a TRX450R and a KTM 530 EXC so how does that matter. It is all about if the land owner minds you riding on it. If they care it doesnt matter what you ride they dont want you on it. If you take care of it they may not stop you from ridding on it but 2 or 4 wheels does not matter.

Yanni,

I know where you are comming from.

I done the Brimstone thing just because if not supported, they will not be around and that much more area goes down the tube.

You have to admit (as much as I love your reports), it sure sends the message of "come join the party".

My only point out of the post was, a simple PM to the guy saying some things need kept low key and invite or guide is how you see them.

We have plenty of areas also, and like you, if you want to see them you need some connections. At that point is where the low key kicks in and PM's are used.

:thumbsup:

gotta agree... PA's a terrible terrible place to ride... nothing around here... stay out!!! :moon:

It is all about if the land owner minds you riding on it.

Thats correct.

Ya cant argue with the fact that(on average):

1 theres way more 4 wheelers than dirt bikes

2 4 wheelers leave more trash(beer cans) than dirt bikes

3 4 wheelers leave 2 wide paths while dirtbikes leave 1 small path

4 Many more 4 wheeler dudes consume alcohol(creating more accidents

while riding than dirtbikers.

5 Dirtbikers go around mudholes,4 wheelers ride thru them

making the problem worse.

6 dirtbikes have 1 drive wheel while 4 wheelers have(umm guess):thumbsup:

Look it up online,theres way more 4 wheeler injuries than dirtbikes,

EVEN THO, a 4wheeler is inherently stable(will stand on its own)

and a dirtbike(inherintly unstable and usually faster)

has a natural tendency to fall over.

Not gonna even bring up that 4wheelers have a herd mentality

and congregate and populate an area more,

while dirt bikers go riding with 1 or 2 other guys

Remember,these are all averages and do not apply for everyone.

Yes there is a difference.

p.s. I have a 4 wheeler and dirtbikes. The 4 wheeler is used for

scouting/recon/gps'n of trails(slow speed)It has nearly bald stock tires

( work great as they dont dig holes and sink)

and carries a cooler with tuna salad sandwichs, not beer.

I pack out what I pack in..........except for the dog poop from my little

passenger:ride:

Tony:thumbsup:

I think that we have to agree to disagree on this one. Near were I live the number off trails you can ride if you can tag your bike is at least three times as much as if you dont have a tag. I can pay $5 and ride Wayehutte but other then that it is a long drive or private land. The trails at Wayehutte are just a small piece of the forest service land that is here so d/s can stay spread out a lot more so it is not as concentrated in one spot. Dirt bikes weigh less so may tear up less but they also concentrate that weight while wider and more tires have better flotations so they don't dig as deep so which is worse, deep or wide tracks? I would like to say people that ride 4 wheelers aren't the problem. People that leave trash and tear up trails are and they could be in a 4x4 or even on horse back too. Not just 4 wheelers

Talk to a forest service guy about who shows up at FS open meetings

on public use/access to forest/trails

Theres only 2 groups of people there.

Dirtbikers/dual sporters or hunters who use their 4 wheelers to hunt.

If they have a meeting about closing trails where hunting is illegal anyway,

no 4 wheeler guys show at all.

The truth of the matter is,recreational/casual 4wheeler riders(mostly)

have little committment to off roading. They drink while riding

and do barely whats needed for maintenance on their machines while many dirtbikers clean their machine to a high shine and wrench on them all the time.

It's a passion that(mostly) the 4wheeler guys just dont have.

The reason?--I dont know,I suppose it might be because

anybody can ride a 4weelr, while the same is not true for a dirtbike.

Many 4wheeler riders have tried riding bikes and realized they just cant

or are fearful of the higher average speeds.

I'm not sayin that every 4wheeler guy trashes trails and is part

of the problem but, if you were a landowner that allowed recreational

riding on your land,the 4 wheelers would cause most of your

headaches.

Tony