PC or spray paint for the frame and how hard is it to tear down to the frame?

I plan on painting my frame soon and wanted to get some opinions on whether I should PC or PJ1.

I know PC will hold up the best but I have heard awesome thing about PJ1 frame paint from durability to color match and not to mention the price!

And on a scale from 1-10 ow hard is it to tear down the bike to the frame and what to look out for?

thanks again to the TT community for the help. :D

Well PC is expensive, but i have never heard of PJ1. Im in the process of stripping my frame and swing arm on my crf80f, but its a royal pain in the a$$ because of the round tubing and all the small area's. Im using a wire wheel on a drill, and a sanding bit for my dremel and maybe if that takes to long to do both ill use a media blaster. Im gonna paint mine with flat black brake caliper paint. O and here is the bit for the dremel:

sand1.jpg

Any idiot can tear a bike down to the frame. It's the rebuild that'll getcha. Make sure you just take a bunch of pictures and put parts into marked bags and boxes while disassembling it. It'll be a good learning experience.

Oh, and go with powdercoat. Spray paint just won't hold up well enough to the abuse.

Well PC is expensive, but i have never heard of PJ1. Im in the process of stripping my frame and swing arm on my crf80f, but its a royal pain in the a$$ because of the round tubing and all the small area's. Im using a wire wheel on a drill, and a sanding bit for my dremel and maybe if that takes to long to do both ill use a media blaster. Im gonna paint mine with flat black brake caliper paint. O and here is the bit for the dremel:

sand1.jpg

yikes!! sounds like a long, tedious job. I'd find yourself a sandblaster.

This winter I plan to tear my bike down to the bare frame and paint it also. While the powder coating is nice, it's just too much for my budget. I'm planning on using some paint from the makers of POR15, its called stirling silver, but they make topcoats in other colors too. This stuff can be applied over existing paint with a brush and I hear it practically takes a hammer and chisel to get off your garage floor if you spill some. This stuff is pricey compared to the the PJ1 spray can, it runs about $45 a quart:eek:, but a quart should be all you need and its still cheaper than powder coating considering you have to have the frame media blasted first. Plus if it does chip over time, you could always touch it up with a brush real quick.

tearing the bike down to the frame is easy, in fact it is super super easy, just about one of the easiest things you can do to a bike,

now the hard part is putting it all back together and knowing if that mount took the 8x33mm bolt or the 8x35mm bolt, etc. use plastic baggies and lable everything and take pics, that way it makes it much easier putting it back together, also on a frame tear down that is the time to replace bearings, like swingarm, stem, etc.