Sign in to follow this  

650 dual purpose too big??

Hey gals; how important is it to not have too heavy/big of a bike on non-technical off road riding?? I have years on a road bike but would love to get the DR 650 for commuting and going on some longer off road trips, because it is lower than most and big enough for touring. My 'motorcycle advisor' guy friend finally got the short fingers/short arms problems, but can't relate to not being able to just lift everything. I'm 5'5", 150 lbs and pretty in shape for my 'maturity level'. I'm already planning on the EZ clutch, maybe pivoting risers, and lowering it as much as possible. There aren't that many used low small bikes out there to learn on, that would be ideal. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

man, if you successfully lower a 650 and it has great suspension on the dirt... please let me know .......... I am next in line =)

What in the name of everything pink and fluffy do you need a 650 for?!

Although, if you do end up on one, will you tow me through deep sandy patches? :D We can work out a whole tow routine. If you're fast enough, I can probably 'surf' the bike behind you. I doubt I'd fall of it any more than I do already, so it's worth a try.

You work in getting the 650, and I'll practice standing on the seat, and we'll compare notes in a few weeks, yeah?

:worthy:

Hey gals; how important is it to not have too heavy/big of a bike on non-technical off road riding?? ...

... There aren't that many used low small bikes out there to learn on, that would be ideal. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

What's "non-technical off road"? Do you mean simply riding up a gravel road to the campgound? or something more extensive???

IMO if you're mearly speaking of putting along dirt roads, a 650 would probably work just fine for you. While I appreciate your street skills, what works of the pavement, doesn't translate well to the dirt... So -

On the other hand, if you're looking to do things more "off-roady", a 340lb bike is going to greatly hamper your learning curve - to the point that you may find yourself unwilling to even try certain trails and obsticles because find the bike is riding you, rather than you riding the bike - at least untill you reach a certain dirt skill level.

Anyway, depends on how you intend to use it. If putting along "good" roads that happen to be dirt is your plan, fine. If more adventurous riding is your plan, learning dirt skills (& confidence) will come much faster riding a bike that weighs 100lbs less, and has a more friendly user power curve - then step to a 650 after getting a good dirt base. JMO

Speaking as a DR650 owner... among the Jap 650's, the DR is the most versatile of the three. My husband has a KLR 650, and I would for sure not want to ride that thing off road. Supposedly the XR650 is the most off-road friendly of the three. The DR has a lower seat height right off the bat, plus the ability to lower it even more built right in. You just change the shock mount and remove some shims in the forks (there is a shorter side stand available from Suzuki if you do this). I actually find the stock height to be pretty comfortable for me (5'7" w/30" inseam).

For commuting, there is plenty of power... I've had it up to 70 and it does it easily, with more oomph available from there... for sure not topped out at 70. If you plan to do much commuting, I would think you wouldn't want to really go smaller.

The geometry of the bike makes it very agile... easy off-road excursions shouldn't be a problem. I honestly think that of all the things I have ridden my 250 dual sport on, the 650 would be just as easy to ride in everything but sand (just because I'm a wuss) and some of the more technical single track I've been on. Two tracks, wider hard-pack trails, in general the 'easier' type trails... I think I could handle them quite well.

The power of the DR650 is easily manageable. It never gives you the feeling that if you twist that throttle really fast you'll be off the back of the seat (or lying on the ground on your back w/the bike on top of you). It's not a race bike by any means.

I do agree w/Repent, that a certain amount of dirt skills on a smaller bike DOES help... a bunch. I don't know how eager I'd be to do it all over again w/just a 650. But don't use that as a reason to NOT buy it! Find someone w/a smaller bike you can borrow who can get you out on the trail to learn. Pick up some skills, then go crazy on the big bike. It's a GREAT bike... a super all-around machine IMO.

2 major things... the gas tank is pretty dang small. I haven't hit reserve yet (just anal about filling that baby up because I know I can't go too far on it), but have put a hair over 100 miles on a tank. Wouldn't go much more than that, though. The seat is as hard as a 2x4. It's not very commuter friendly. Both can be fixed. IMS makes a larger tank. Suzuki makes a gel seat, and Corbin makes a nice soft seat.

There are lots of rack and luggage options available too. So if you are doing any adventure type riding, you can pack that baby up and go. :D

snorky, you got a deal :worthy: oh woops, wrong icon... wrong board :ride:

What in the name of everything pink and fluffy do you need a 650 for?!

Although, if you do end up on one, will you tow me through deep sandy patches? :D We can work out a whole tow routine. If you're fast enough, I can probably 'surf' the bike behind you. I doubt I'd fall of it any more than I do already, so it's worth a try.

You work in getting the 650, and I'll practice standing on the seat, and we'll compare notes in a few weeks, yeah?

:ride:

I second the question - What is non-technical off road riding?

Personally, regardless of the terrain, fatigue from long days takes its toll. This would be my main reason to not get a bike too big - can you handle the weight (it's still heavy even while moving) when your mind and muscles are fatigued?

For forest roads and gettign to forest roads, I think the 650 would be great.

Anything more technical, at least for a small person, I think it would be tuff goin'. I have a bud that rides his KLR on 2 track type stuff and he's amazing to watch! He's really strong though.

You just need 2 bikes is all!

What about a DRZ 400? It's a bit smaller and lighter and is a more capable "trail" bike, if that is the type of riding you could potentially get into. It also is good for gravel roads and short pavement trips.

She might be a little small for the DRZ400...you can lower the DR650 quite a bit. I think the 400 is pretty dam tall.

She might be a little small for the DRZ400...you can lower the DR650 quite a bit. I think the 400 is pretty dam tall.

I'm her same height and I can comfortably ride my dad's and brother's with no issues. You can always get a short seat for those things too, which put me almost flat footed. (My dad had a short seat when he first got it, not sure why, he is over 6 feet.)

i have a 400 and its bad for any long highway trips it revs way high even with taller gears and screams with the stock stuff but as for learning to ride on the dirt its a good bike its very easy to correct if you get into trouble will go almost anywere you point it its good on single track stuff and also on fire and gravel roads its almost like a dirt bike but with crapy suspension

you seem like you want something to go on long highway trips with and if you see some interesting dirt road on the way you can ride on it for awile so i think you should go for the 650 they are more set up to do like 50/50 dirt/street riding were the 400 is more set up to do 70/30 dirt/street

(just my thoughts though)

o and when i was looking for bikes this site really helped it has peoples reviews on most any bike you can think of.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/default.asp

well hope this kinda helped :D

I have the DRZ400 and got the Corbin seat which is lower also mine is the SM which is also lower than the others. You can also get a lowering kit for it . To me it works great for what i use it for and I just put a bigger gas tank on it and go 150+ miles now and the maintenance factor is like really low as well is the reliability.:D I need to still get a trial bike soon :ride: but until then I will keep changing out the wheels :worthy:

Good luck on your decision

man, if you successfully lower a 650 and it has great suspension on the dirt... please let me know .......... I am next in line =)

Done!!!! :D