About to pull the trigger - '08 TE610...should I?

Recently sold my KTM 990S, awesome machine, beyond awesome but it was for two up ADV riding and with just my better 1/2 and that isnt to be for right now..

So..the 990 is gone to a new rider who is riding the stink out of it, like it should be.

So...been searching for a DS, kind of a swiss army knife of bikes.

Requirements?

30% max road

50% fire roads and double track, easy single

rest, what ever I happen to get crazy about.

I have my snotty single track ride (CRF-270x) but I want a plate.

so.....

I found a TE610 (2008) for 6800 before taxes and plate.

so.......TTRs should i pull the trigger or look for something else?

I dont need a "racer" I need a swiss army knife of rides, that I can do pavement, and double track, and in a few years, connect dirt and trail and etc and see the US avoiding as much pavement as possible.

Want to stay away from Brass if I can (jetting) the KTM 990 FI spoiled me.

so.....pull the trigger and add the TE to the stable, or walk away?

Help me out folks......ye TT dual sporters of wonderness...good fit for this ol 48 year old...or walk away?

HR

:D

:worthy:

...............What you think about XR650r?

I am not able to get a license plate here in Washington State on an XR650R, or I would.

HR

If you find way to get a license plate for XR650r that would be the best solutione.

I think the TE610 looks like a fine DS bike. I wish they were ever street legal in Canada for 2009 or I would be all over one.

Go with the te610 you won't be sorry. I just bought an 08 and it is an excellent bike. it's the only true dualsport bike out. You can ride everything from singletrack to highway cruising with the six speed trans. although if single track is your thing you might want to go down a tooth on the countershaft. With the fuel injection i get about 50 mpg. mixed trails and country roads. I haven't ridden my wr450 since i got it... this bike can truly do it all.

You may also want to have a look at the Yami WR250R. I had a similar dilema and had a hard time deciding on the right DS. The TE610 was on my short list, along with the DRZ400 and a few others.

In the end, the 'little' Yami turned out to be the perfect package. Although it's just a 250, I find the power to be plenty adequate. It's loaded with modern tech - 6 speed tranny and FI help deliver the smooth power and overall the bike has really exceeded my expectations in every way.

Easily the funnest bike I've owned in the past 20 years but don't take my word for it. Come check out the Yamaha duel sport sub-forum to learn a little more. It may just may be exactly what you're looking for.

Does the TE610 come road legal right off the showroom floor???

Does the TE610 come road legal right off the showroom floor???

Yes it does, as does the TE 250, TE\SM\450\510 & the soon to be arriving TE310 :D

Why it is on my short list...

Peoples Republik of Washington dont like Dirt bikes into plates any more.

and

Discussion is now starting about those that DO have a plate on the dirt bike to start pulling them back (Wa govt)...

so

Aint taken no chances...

And

The TE610 weighs about the same as the WR250R, granted I love Yamahas and the WR line (I have two of the WRf models) but want a bit more CC torque and pull for me this go around.

HR

I got a '08 TE610 a month ago.

Freakin love it.

Its the replacement for my '02 CA plated XR650r. (which is on Craigslist)

The 610 is simply amazing. I took it on a 600 mile ride from my house, to baja, rode the highlights, then home. 3 dayer, with tent and sleeping bag strapped on.

Cant say enough about how great this bike is. The 6 speed is simply PERFECT with 6th acting as a slight overdrive on the freeway. The EFI gets 50-55mpg--off road it was getting 50 in baja. So its got a nice range, and it saves 15 lbs of fuel weight vs. the Honda.

Stock the 610 comes just as corked up as any other. I added a Uptite pipe and skid plate (awesome), LCD brake light (UFO), and unbolted some stuff--buddy pegs, charcoal canister, etc. Then a fairing/HID for the long pavement (homemade), and to protect the GPS. The new MotoZ tires are simply in a class by themselves. Check em out. Heated 'rally' grips for the winter, and some Cycra handguards.

It flat out rips! The bike will easily handle a XR650r - we dragged each other in baja in various conditions.

I will say the bike needs a front fork re-valve for serious action. I will be using LTR for that as soon as i pay my water bill...:D I'm still fiddling with the rear shock clickers, but i am confident it is up to the job.

Get the TE610 and you will be amazed. If you want a plated XR i have one for sale.

Heres a pic from the trip:BajaOct08077.jpg

The bike will easily handle a XR650r

OK man I let you go on until that. Glad you like your new bikey and all but EASILY...come on dude. And yes I've owned a TE610.

OK man I let you go on until that. Glad you like your new bikey and all but EASILY...come on dude. And yes I've owned a TE610.

Haven't ridden a newer 610 and they say they run allot better then the older ones. I had a 03 610 and yes it was a really good bike and would out run my buddies much lighter wr400 hands down but I didn't consider it any power house for sure. No matter how much of a handfull of throttle you grabbed you never had to worry about a power wheelie in any gear and from what I understand the newer 610's will with little effort.

Oh yeah...for sure. The new 610's get on down the road. Here's me some time ago....they don't have ANY problem wheelying that one's certain.:D

Trigger Pulled.

thanx all for the input ...and tons of searching....

Husky will be in the garage this weekend.

Ready for tear down to the frame (routine for every bike I have owned)

grease

torgue

unnecessary stuff gone, purged, removed and rerouted....

then...

Let the Farkle-ization begin.

Favorite bend of protapers...find me a skid plate...

ah...the building..

:ride:

HR

HR- I never got a plate for the GG you sold me. However the 07 GG i replaced it with has a thin plate of street shenanagins permission from the state waiting to be installed. Have fun with the Husky, I know I'lll have fun with the GG.

Sweeeet!!!!!

:lol:

What happened to the Old girl (Red GG EC 300)

(who has her now?)

HR

:p

:lol:

Sadly I parted it out. It is now all over the US and Canada

The new MotoZ tires are simply in a class by themselves. Check em out.

BajaOct08077.jpg

Moto Z-Where do we get them? I've searched and found nothing but rumors of their existance in the US.

Moto Z-Where do we get them? I've searched and found nothing but rumors of their existance in the US.

Contact these guys. Kelly is being set up as a new distributor for them

http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/HVA-SS-Home.htm

Hello Ekim-Yak;

Looking at the picture I see a lot of additions to your bike

Hand Guards, Skid Plate, Front Fairing, and saddle bags.

Where did you get the saddle bags? Do they touch to mufler?

I would like to have a minimal luggage abilit on my TE for some offorad touring.

BR

Heres a pic from the trip:BajaOct08077.jpg