Sign in to follow this  

Riding MX in the Winter

I did a search and I did not find any real conclusive posts.

How do the tracks operate in the winter months?

I know many of them are open, but I have heard folks say that they are subject to weather. Im most curious about these tracks:

Thunder Valley

Erie(IMI)

Watkins

Berthoud (VDR)

I am still recovering from a dang broken collar bone, and I have not got nearly enough riding in this season...

Thanks in advance!

All of those facilities are open during the winter, weather dependent, very little prep work is done though. Thunder valley blows out it's underground irrigation system and the others don't have water trucks operating. VDR and IMI probably do the most work on the track surface depending on rider turnout.

Watkins does pretty good prep during the winter, if it's warm for a few days before the weekend they'll water otherwise if the grounds still frozen they'll just disk it up. but the cold ground keeps it from being as nice as it can be

Watkins does pretty good prep during the winter, if it's warm for a few days before the weekend they'll water otherwise if the grounds still frozen they'll just disk it up. but the cold ground keeps it from being as nice as it can be

Ive heard from a few different sources that Watkins doesnt prep during the winter?

And to be honest, Im not worried about prep. I just want the place to be open.

I usually ride a couple times per month during the winter. Sometimes Dec and Jan turns out to be only once. I could ride more but I avoid mud. I agree with you about riding when its hot. Fall and spring are my favorite times to ride. If its above 45 degrees and not too muddy I ride. I ride VDR and IMI.

I usually ride a couple times per month during the winter. Sometimes Dec and Jan turns out to be only once. I could ride more but I avoid mud. I agree with you about riding when its hot. Fall and spring are my favorite times to ride. If its above 45 degrees and not too muddy I ride. I ride VDR and IMI.

This is my first winter in Colorado, so I dont know what to expect. I would have no problem riding in the mud if I knew I could wash my bike afterwards, but I imagine with the snow and cold temps, I wont want to be hosing my bike down in the driveway.

Thanks for the info!

I try to ride once a week in the Winter and most winters I can get that done. The day time temps are usually in the 40's and 50's with sun. Obviously we get those cold snaps/snow where I won't ride. Your bike will get muddy at times but with the day time temps getting warmer you can usually hose the bike off. I have a powerwasher and the one thing to remember about that is to get as much water out of it as possible or it may freeze overnight in your garage and then you will be buying a new one, I know this from experince.

As far as tracks and prep goes. Aztec in the Springs does great winter prep. Last year it was very poor at Watkins but they use to be pretty good in Winter. The old crew that use to do pretty good is now back in charge out there so I have a good feeling that it will be better than last Winter. Berthoud also does a pretty good job in Winter.

As far as racing Aztec does a Saturday Winter race thing, weather permitting that is pretty good. Berthoud does some winter HS races that are fun too.

Hope your healing up well Rally.

THe great thing about Colorado is that during Dec. and Jan we will actually see mid 50s quite often! Makes for really nice riding, compared to 95 in the summer...Keep your bike ready to go because you never know when it will turn nice. As mentioned, Berthoud is the only place I go, and they do as much prep as they can during the winter.....One of the best tracks in the front range.

This is my first winter in Colorado, so I dont know what to expect. I would have no problem riding in the mud if I knew I could wash my bike afterwards, but I imagine with the snow and cold temps, I wont want to be hosing my bike down in the driveway.

Thanks for the info!

I usually hose my bike off on the lawn and blow dry with my leaf blower. I pull the chain off first. I dont ride when temps are below 40 degrees so freezing is not problem. Make sure you disconnect your hose and drain it when your done washing the bike. :lol: