Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport tires

I know, it's been discussed before. But I have some questions about tire selection. Here's my riding:130 miles a week commuting, and some semi-easy to moderately difficult trails, with the occasional hard trail.(Desert riding, hard pack dry dirt and rocks) I want a tire that lasts longer than 3000 miles at least, but the more the better. I don't care about onroad comfort, my commute is short. I like the looks of the d606, but have read reports of one person getting 600 miles, and another getting 5000 miles. What's a realistic mileage count for a not spun out constantly or wheelied tire ridden 90 percent street (under 60mph) and 10 percent trails?

Another question:is the "deathwing" really that horrible in the dirt? If a deathwing or other similarly more road oriented dual sport tire can get me through dry dirt okay and get twice the mileage on them, I might consider. I don't care about slippery and or wet situations such as mud or wet grass, just hard pack dry dirt and technical rocks. Generally, I'm under 30mph on a trail. Sand is semi important, I'de like to get through it, but I don't have to be going fast (first gear is good) Thanks for any input!:D

btw-I currently have an almost toast rear pirelli m21 rallycross tire(bought bike used with tire pretty well worn), it's been great offroad, so that's where I'm starting from. I could handle a little less dirt perfromance for more mileage, but don't want to go too far into the street oriented realm.

For on road mileage that high the 606 or the MT21.....deathwings suck in the sand or anything soft.

I hear the Terra-Flex does well on the street and lasts a decent amount of time. But anything with knobbies is going to wear more quickly with road use. Just the nature of the beast.

I have tried many dualsport tires, and now the only one I buy is the Continental TKC 80, what an amzing tire.

Sticks like glue on pavement, and great offroad as well.

Give them a try.

The utimate solution is two wheel sets, just got there my self. I have one wheel set with distanzia's. Really great road tire and sounds like it would handle a good portion of your riding needs. They are terrible in mud and were rediculous in wet grass.

My other wheel set has MT16 front and Teraflex (110)!!! which has burned off in about 1500mi 90% street use. Loved it off road in all conditions. Since I'm just learning about how to get the best use out of my DRZ I'm OK to do some experimenting. My next rear tire will most likely be Pirelli Scorpion XCHMH.

Still, from reading your post the Distanzias's should do ya well.

Check out some of Yani23's posts and ride reports ,he has a little experience with off road riding.......

RO2

I really like the MT21. Good grip in the dirt and on the road.

I ride TKC's on my BMW R1200GS. Very good tires on the road or dry dirt road but not very goo in the dirt... but maybe it is because of the size of the GS. I never tried it on my DRZ.

I've been pretty happy with my MT21's.....140 out back. Pretty good in both the mud and on the street (won't last forever on the pavement tho.....the one trade-off)

I hear the Terra-Flex does well on the street and lasts a decent amount of time. But anything with knobbies is going to wear more quickly with road use. Just the nature of the beast.

not a chance. my terra flex was down right slippery on the street. the d606 is cool. the d903 front is GREAT. and i use a pirelli mt21 rear because its getting me the best street grip wet or dry. and the best trail performance as of right now. nothing that looks like a real dirtbike tire is going to do well for hard ridden street commuting. im looking for a tire between the mt21 and the deathwing. i ride 60% + street. but when i hit the dirt every other day its serious dirt. not jsut a packed road. but full on silt, sand and downhill mountainbike single track. the deathwing was horrible in all of my dirt riding situations but it was fun as hell on the street. i change tires about once a month which is probably every 1000 miles.

I am currently using the MT21 (130 rear) Absolutely wonderful tire. The treadlife is around 2000 miles from the few sets I have purchased. The Front last around 4000. My buddy tried the D606 shorter life than his MT21's not as good on the dirt. I am also looking for a good tire and am considering using the KENDA 270. From the looks of the tire it will not be as good on the dirt but having heard many 3000 to 5000 miles stories from that tire and the Price it seems like a good trade off.

riding Style Forsest service roads Gravel and mud about 90% off pavement 10% on pavement

I really like the MT21. Good grip in the dirt and on the road.

I ride TKC's on my BMW R1200GS. Very good tires on the road or dry dirt road but not very goo in the dirt... but maybe it is because of the size of the GS. I never tried it on my DRZ.

Have you tried lowering the pressures....too much air and they are like ice....lower the psi, and they stick like glue.

I've heard a lot of good reviews for both d606 and k270, but if ridden easy (I mean under 55mph street, no wheelies, and no spinning in the dirt) will the 606 last as long as the 270? They both seem great, but have read a lot of high mileage reports for the 270, the 606 seems to get a little bit lower mileage. Does that mean if I take it easy on the kenda they'll last even longer than reviewed? Currently stuck between them:banghead: -please help!:worthy::D

Baja riders run D606's in the rear which hold up very well, and I just put a Pirelli Scorpion on the front, which got recommended to me by a Baja Rider. I can ride anything with these two tires off-road. Infact, unless you look for it, you would just think these tires are straight up, off road. When you are going strictly pavement for a while throw like 18 or more psi and the tires will hold up a little longer.

I ran track masterII.not bad off road, but didnt last on the road. ran a 150 tera flex, great off road and for what it is it was a good wearing on road as well (2000 mi). Iam now running 270s and they seem to be the best of both worlds. aceptable off road and amazing low wear on road.

i just ordered a set of the K270's to replace my deathwings. which i ride in the sand ... and not they are not great and prolly not even good .. but aired down they were much better in the sand.

running the deathwings for 4700 miles on the street and in the dirt improved my dirt riding skills for sure.