checking oil

I bought my bike used. when I tried to check the oil with the bike level off the kickstand it didnt read b/c there wasnt enough oil to hit the dipstick. it reads LOW when the bike is on the kickstand. is the dipstick supposed to be read on or off the kickstand?

I'm not sure, I usually check with the bike level. I would add some to be on the safe side if I were you, so it's halfway up the stick.

Also, did you run the bike at an idle for three minutes before you checked it? that is the proper procedure for checking it, three minutes of idle and a minute of rest time. (I think) This will cause the oil to expand and fill the tube up the frame to make a correct reading.

I bought my bike used. when I tried to check the oil with the bike level off the kickstand it didnt read b/c there wasnt enough oil to hit the dipstick. it reads LOW when the bike is on the kickstand. is the dipstick supposed to be read on or off the kickstand?

Reads with the bike on the stand.

yeah i get different readings off mine every time. Did an oil change aand put about 2 litres in even tho it calls for 1.8

Motorcycle upright. Gosh this has been gone over so many times and is probably in FAQ. The DRZ is "dry sump" oil system. The motor needs to be run to pump the oil into the right places before checking. Book says 3 min at idle. Much better to run the bike to full warm. (ride it for 5 or 10 min, a few miles, whatever) Let it sit for a min or 2, stand it upright then check using the dip stick. The dip stick is not screwed in to check. Oil level is not critical. It should be on the stick some place but only a few ounces makes the difference from full to add. Oil and filter change (drain engine and frame) is 2 quarts. Don't worry about 1.8L. Just dump in 2 quarts.

Thanks for covering all the questions I was thinking and saving me the time to search. every time I search for things on this site, I get side-tracked with a thousand other things I want to know.

this easy drain oil from the frame plug and the oil plug under the motor and change the filter every time . now put 2 quarts in of some good oil like SILK PRO4 SX 15W50 and your done remember 2 quarts only :D this is when you change the oil looks like the other ? you asked was answered .

Noble is spot on for the correct procedure.

Ive been getting a better read on the the oil level since switching to 15w50 oil.

+1 to Noble's procedure.

thanks Noble my dipstick says to run 10w 40. whats the advantage of 15w50??:D

thanks Noble my dipstick says to run 10w 40. whats the advantage of 15w50??:worthy:

Just use 15W50 with full esters. Get rid of the 10W40 stuff......The DRZ is very hard on the oil; 10W40 just doesn't cut it for our bikes. The 15W50 with full esters has the highest quality lubricants that our bikes need to maintain the moving parts properly. :D