Bike choice, need help!

First off, I am a total beginner. And by beginner I couldn't have even pointed out where the clutch was until someone showed me...I know, dont laugh! I've just started learning to ride my boyfriends dirt bike(s) and I LOVE it and looking to buy my own but just would like some input. I started riding just a few weeks ago on a Honda 80cc but took a fall and now I am a little timid although I am typical a dare devil. My boyfriend's bike is a KDX 220cc and I havent tried it yet because honestly I'm afraid of it not to mention my feet dont touch the ground and its insanely heavy. But the little 80cc I've mastered and I find boring but dont feel like I could make the jump to his 220cc.

I've done a lot of research online and my brain is basically overloaded with information and everything seems quite overwhelming. I've concluded that a 125cc would be a good start for me and I found an 07' Yamaha TTR 125L for sale in my area would like any opinions you guys have on that bike and how quickly I might become bored with it? I'm 5'7'', in athletic shape, but weigh a lot more then I wished (190lbs). Would a 125cc be too small?

Right now, I am only trail riding and trying to gain confidence but would eventually would like to compete. Where would you start?

I wouldn't get a TTR125 if you've already mastered an XR80. You'll get sick of it in no time. Being of similar build, but a little smaller, I would suggest a full size bike. I'd get your bf to lower the KDX a little, and let you give it a whirl. My inseam is only about 31" and I can fit on a big bike. My toes scrape the ground in MX boots, but you learn the ass scooch trick real quick if you don't want to fall. If you don't like the weight of the big bikes, then look into a CRF150R, KX100, KTM105, or a big wheel 85. I know that you'll feel big on any of the bikes I listed, but you can lower the foot pegs, raise the seat and bar height, and have a fun little bike you can throw around and touch the ground on. I would try to find an older KX/RM 100, they can be had for fairly cheap. Beat it a little while until you get used to the power and concept of riding, then get a 125 or bigger bike. The 100cc two strokes are perfect transition bikes. A stepping stone to the real deal. :worthy: I'd expect to outgrow this one fairly quick, but it depends on how you feel. If you're anything like me, I'd give it 3-6mos! :D Some people will tell you to get a littler bike, some might tell you to suck it up and get a bigger one, but what it sounds like you need is a confidence builder. I started on a YZ80 at 5'5", then a KE100, now I'm looking for a 125 or 250 2 stroke. If I would have started on something bigger, I don't know if I would be looking for a bike right now, the learning curve was pretty tough, but on a smaller bike it was much more forgiving. Good thing is that what ever you get, you'll learn alot, gain some confidence, and the littler bikes are pretty cheap!

So my advice is a big wheel mini in the 85-105cc range. Ride the wheels off it and get a big bike. IMO, I think that you would be bored with a 125 four stroke, like the TTR, and they are a little less forgiving to speed, weight, and abuse because of a cheaper build quality.

Might try something like a crf 230

or an xr200. That ttr125l is great for a beginner, at least one who's not a raging daredevil like High Maintenance :D I found the old xr200 I borrowed for awhile had the same kind of puppydog power the ttr had, but the bigger size(at 5'4" I could flat foot it) really helped, I was just too cramped on the 125

I could tell the weight difference when I had to pick up the 200, but the extra weight did not mess me up while riding(in fact I liked it better, more stable feeling, but then it had suspension made for an adult too which helped).

I also need to say that while the ttr125 is a great non-intimidating learner's bike, it is designed for ergonomically and structurally(springs, shocks)for a smaller, lighter weight rider(like a small teenager, at least under 120#). When you get faster the frame will start to flex and the suspension will basically not work right(unless you upgrade to stiffer springs and stronger forks, etc).

Many here have beefed up the smaller bikes (100-150s), but just speaking from my experience I MUCH preferred a full size bike made for an adult, and my skills improved a lot when I got on a bigger bike (though I haven't ridden a beefed up small bike so I can't claim complete objectivity :worthy: ha).

ALso, it seems to be the general consensus sort of just a little that I've observed that a 230 will end up having the same issues as the ttr125--it's heavy, but it "can" be gutless, and the suspension is not for hammering trails. If you decide you really love the sport you'd be better off buying a 250 or like a KTM200--something that has grr power(which you can modify to your ability) and great suspension, and will have plenty of room to grow with your abilities. THere are mods for the 230, but by the time you put money into beefing that up if you're riding it into the ground, you might have well bought the beefier bike to begin with. There are lots of ways to lower the full size bikes too, so don't let the fact that you can' touch when you sit on one on the showroom floor bother you--think about how it feels between your legs(heh, ahem, sorry), do you like a skinny profile or a cushy seat(that's changeable). Different brands will just plain feel different as you sit on it(how the weight balances as you move it etc).

well sorry to ramble on, have fun learning an awesome sport!!

Ha, after all that it would be IDEAL if you could find someone who would let you borrow a 125 for a few weekends to get the feel of riding some trails, then you go get the bike you want--you would know if you wanted to stick with the 125 and it's unintimidation factor for awhile, or go ahead and get a bigger bike if you feel cramped on it. Again, the transition between the ttr125l and the xr200 was NOT a huge learning curve, the 200 was infact way easier to ride overall(for me) because it was bigger and better suspension.

At 5'7" you're too big for a TTR125 or CRF150R, you'll be so cramped that you'll never ride properly.

You can't go wrong with a CRF230 as a learner bike and they're easy to sell if you decide to move on to a bike that has a bit more serious ability or you may never move on. Maintenance on a CRF230 is easy too.

Thems my apples. Wish I was 5'7" !!

At your height I would think the 'peg to seat' ratio would leave you cramped on a mini (150R, KTM 105 etc). My wife is only 5'4" and felt cramped on her TTR125... and didn't want another mini for that reason. She jumped to a KTM 200xcw but getting it lowered, suspension worked etc was about $800. You can 'open up' a mini by adding bar risers, tall seat etc.

Some of the other suggested full-sized bikes can lowered using a lowering link which is way, way cheaper than the link-less KTM suspension.

I think the XR200 is probably a good recommendation. I think the seat height is around 34" whereas a TTR125 is about 31" or so. That 80 is probably around 29". XR's are great bikes and pretty dependable, they've got a nice low first gear that will let you tractor up most anything.

At 5'7" you're too big for a TTR125 or CRF150R, you'll be so cramped that you'll never ride properly.

You can't go wrong with a CRF230 as a learner bike and they're easy to sell if you decide to move on to a bike that has a bit more serious ability or you may never move on. Maintenance on a CRF230 is easy too.

Thems my apples. Wish I was 5'7" !!

I agree whole heartedly, especially with the bold section.

CRF230, TTR230.....very similar to the TTR 125 you were looking at but a little taller. I am 5'6" and feel like I am curled up in a ball on my hubby's TTR125. I even struggle trying to ride my daughter's YZ85 (now that I have stretched my legs and ride a 250F). Those two bikes are very tame and height appropriate. Good luck!

From what you've posted, I'd recommend a newer 230; sometimes you can find deals on CRF230 or the TTR. I know real test rides are difficult, but you can't go wrong with either of the aforementioned.

Heck, I'd even throw out a KDX200 or 220; great docile bike with lots of areas to upgrade as your skills improve.

I agree w/the no on the TTR 125. At 5'7", I have modded the heck out of mine, and it is still small and underpowered for me. I'm not saying it's not fun to ride, because it is... VERY. But the investment to make the bike fit your size and weight is way more than you'll ever get back out of the bike. And if you want to compete... well if you are talking motocross, then it's a for sure loser. Being super light, if you are doing extremely tight woods riding, it is a toss up... is it easier to ride because it does not tire you out when you have to pick it up, or is it harder because it doesn't have the guts to get you through some of the tougher stuff and you have to muscle it through more? Take a look at my garage... if you want to know how much it costs to get a TTR125 that will fit you. There are a lot of really nice bikes out there that you can get for that kind of money.

Now personally, I like the TTR... I modded it as I advanced and needed it. It mostly fits me. It is smaller and totally not intimidating. A couple things I don't like... I wish it had more power, and was a little bit bigger. I'm still cramped on it. But like I said... I like it. I am a sometimes rider. I get out maybe one or two times a year. I ride so infrequently that it is almost like relearning ever time I ride (I do ride road, but I'm talking trail here). The little bike is not intimidating to throw around and ride the wheels off of. I know I'm a lot more agressive rider on it than I'd be on a full sized bike, and thus faster. To me the bike is FUN for what I ride it for.

But that is ME. I'm guessing you are younger. You also said you'd be interested in competing. For you I'd say look for something else. :D

i havent ridden one, but i heard KDX220/200s are great bikes and ive heard of several girls riding ones after a short time on a minibike. i'm not encouraging you to ride it if your scared of it, because its not fun (been in a situation like that before) but dont doubt yourself. i am barely 5'4 and i ride a big bike. whatever you choose, im sure youll have fun with it. and the CRF230s are great bikes, i have a CRF150 and they are bulletproof!

or an xr200. That ttr125l is great for a beginner, at least one who's not a raging daredevil like High Maintenance :D I found the old xr200 I borrowed for awhile had the same kind of puppydog power the ttr had, but the bigger size(at 5'4" I could flat foot it) really helped, I was just too cramped on the 125

I could tell the weight difference when I had to pick up the 200, but the extra weight did not mess me up while riding(in fact I liked it better, more stable feeling, but then it had suspension made for an adult too which helped).

I also need to say that while the ttr125 is a great non-intimidating learner's bike, it is designed for ergonomically and structurally(springs, shocks)for a smaller, lighter weight rider(like a small teenager, at least under 120#). When you get faster the frame will start to flex and the suspension will basically not work right(unless you upgrade to stiffer springs and stronger forks, etc).

Many here have beefed up the smaller bikes (100-150s), but just speaking from my experience I MUCH preferred a full size bike made for an adult, and my skills improved a lot when I got on a bigger bike (though I haven't ridden a beefed up small bike so I can't claim complete objectivity :worthy: ha).

ALso, it seems to be the general consensus sort of just a little that I've observed that a 230 will end up having the same issues as the ttr125--it's heavy, but it "can" be gutless, and the suspension is not for hammering trails. If you decide you really love the sport you'd be better off buying a 250 or like a KTM200--something that has grr power(which you can modify to your ability) and great suspension, and will have plenty of room to grow with your abilities. THere are mods for the 230, but by the time you put money into beefing that up if you're riding it into the ground, you might have well bought the beefier bike to begin with. There are lots of ways to lower the full size bikes too, so don't let the fact that you can' touch when you sit on one on the showroom floor bother you--think about how it feels between your legs(heh, ahem, sorry), do you like a skinny profile or a cushy seat(that's changeable). Different brands will just plain feel different as you sit on it(how the weight balances as you move it etc).

well sorry to ramble on, have fun learning an awesome sport!!

Ha, after all that it would be IDEAL if you could find someone who would let you borrow a 125 for a few weekends to get the feel of riding some trails, then you go get the bike you want--you would know if you wanted to stick with the 125 and it's unintimidation factor for awhile, or go ahead and get a bigger bike if you feel cramped on it. Again, the transition between the ttr125l and the xr200 was NOT a huge learning curve, the 200 was infact way easier to ride overall(for me) because it was bigger and better suspension.

I concur.

I've had a TTR225 ... and it was a heavy pig. Keep in mind I'm barely 5'4" and it was extremely tough to pick the bike up.

IMHO, I'd go for the 200 or 250 and have the suspension professionally done. You'll be happier in the long run.

I wasted a lot of money on bikes in the beginning ... started with a TTR225 ... moved to a TTR250 ... moved to a WR250f ... then finally went to a 250 XC-W and had the suspension professionally done by Trail Tricks.

Thank you guys for the informtion! I will probably be looking for a larger bike, upwards of 200cc. Luckily, the TTR 125L I was considering my boyfriend will be buying for his son as a Christmas present and has offered to allow me to keep it at my barn (I'm a horse trainer) where there are trails and pastures to practice in so I can see if I will get bored with it. So I will have a couple of months to ride the it and see where my confidence level is and then determine which direction I need to take. Thanks so much for the input! I suppose I'm pretty lucky it worked out that way so I dont blow $$ I dont need too!

My first bike was a TTR 125 which was great for the first year. Easy to ride and not intimidating but small wheels were soon to small for my height. I hen moved to a KTM 200 which was height adjusted and has a flywheel weight which makes it much more manageable. Great bike.

It's all about building a little confindence, getting used to everything. Once you're used to riding, then it's rip time! :D

thats great you can try out the ttr125 to get some perspective!!!! have fun!!

ttrs are great begginer or playbikes, now if you were to put some mods id say 400$ (cam and a pipe) id say itd work out great. Crf150f are too big and heavy for their engine and when I rode one i really wasent impressed. you might do good on a ttr225 or 230. perhaps a yz85?

I ride a crf230 love it! Rode my old ttr125 a few weeks ago just to the rv and got off thinking dang that thing is small and slow! Gimmee my big bike back:worthy: :thumbsup: I had bought the yamaha ttr230 but its really big and heavy sold mine bought son a yz250, Still have sons old 06 ttr230 probably selling it since i rode the crf230 and its way lighter that the ttr230 i can plant my foot for tight turns and the suspension is a bit better (for a beginner/trail bike) I cant go as fast as all the guys up front but i have no problem keeping up when we ride 10-20-30 miles and i am less tired i am only 5-1 and i am cramped on ttr125 since i haven't done the mods yet, but couldn't tell you how much i am loving the crf230:ride: :moon::p If i did a few mods to that one i might just keep it rather that moving to a 250 next season just because its lighter and i am small & old & weak:smirk:

...rather that moving to a 250 next season just because its lighter and i am small & old & weak:smirk:

hummmmm.... I guess I had better never let you ride my bike cause you will be ruined! I went from a CRF230 to my 250XCFW and as much as I loved my 230 (swore I would never own another bike), I would never go back to it.... :thumbsup:

I can't offer any better advice than the others here, but I will tell you that they know what they are talking about! I had a decision to make this weekend and they helped me.

I am 5'3 and weigh 140. I, too, am a brand-new rider. When my hubby and I picked out our first bikes (in October), we went for the street/trail. I got a XT250X. I soon found out that it was way too heavy for me (291 lbs). I also quickly decided that I only want to ride trails and not necessarily streets.

Using the advice I got on this board, this weekend I bought the TTR125LE and I LOVE IT!

So, that's a long email to say that these gals know what they are talking about! GOOD LUCK!

I'm in a debating situation myself about what bike best suits me so I can't offer any advice on that, sorry!

I am posting about keeping your bike in your horse barn. Ammonia in horse's urine can ruin electronics quickly. Of course I'm assuming you clean your stalls regularly, but a friend thought it was a great place to store her lawn tractor for the winter and the wires corroded. She keeps her barn clean. I guess the stuff just being in the air can do it over time. Based on what happened to the friend's tractor I haven't stored any motorized equipment in my horse barn. If you have a second barn or shed on your property, I'd put the bike in there just to be on the safe side.