Sign in to follow this  

WR250R Warranty

hey guys, i was wondering.... when i purchased my bike i got offered a 5 year extended warranty. Was it worth buying? Also what mods will void my warranty if i chose to do so?

Switch:thumbsup:

I have purchased the extended warranty on some older Kawasaki bikes and I never had a malfunction that the warranty covered over the course of ownership.

The things that normally go bad such as: drive chains/sprockets, fork seals, etc aren't covered under these plans.

The manufacturer pretty much states that (in short form) "any modification that causes or contributes to a mechanical failure will not be covered under the warranty", depending on the dealership; this can mean something such as a slip-on could void the engine warranty.

My suggestion is (if you are interested in the service plan) to speak with the dealership discussing modifications that you plan on completing to the bike making sure that they won't effect the warranty.

With my past experience I would normally not recommend purchasing an extended service contract but these WR/X machines are quite a bit more technology advanced than most other on/off bikes so it may not be a bad idea.

I also got offered a warranty but declined. The one year Yamaha gives should be more than adequate. In the remote chance you happen to get a lemon or one with issues (and there haven't been any to my knowledge), it will more than likely surface within that first year. After that, I can't see this bike needing much more than regular maintenance and replacing normal wear and tear items.

Add on to the fact that I plan on doing future mods (ripping out the AIS / Airbox / Cali emissions / full exhaust, programmer, etc.) which will most certainly void any warranties.

I also got offered a warranty but declined. The one year Yamaha gives should be more than adequate. In the remote chance you happen to get a lemon or one with issues (and there haven't been any to my knowledge), it will more than likely surface within that first year. After that, I can't see this bike needing much more than regular maintenance and replacing normal wear and tear items.

Add on to the fact that I plan on doing future mods (ripping out the AIS / Airbox / Cali emissions / full exhaust, programmer, etc.) which will most certainly void any warranties.

You get only one year?But yamaha gives 2!

well now i feel like a retard for paying $600 for mine!

well the guy said i could cancel it withing a year.

Don't feel bad I bought it to and I'm a mechanic. I just don't want to do major repairs on it and was leary of the F.I. system. Trying to leave it stock as long as I can but there are so many cool mods out there. For now I'll stick to the cosmetic stuff and leave the engine alone