Sign in to follow this  

what to buy 300xce or 300xcwe?

It will be a while before I can pick one up, and it will probably be a while before I start even seeing used ones for sale, but I want to get a new ktm 300 with the magic button. The 09 xc's are coming with it now, as well as the xcw's so I now have a choice. The xc or the xcw? I know that the xcw comes with softer suspension and a wide ratio box, and the xc has the close ratio nox and a stiffer suspension setup.

I ride offroad only, in northern Ca. I weigh 185/190lbs and am an intermediate rider. Terrain here consists of a fair amount of tight single track trails( some fast, some very punishing and slow), a lot of climbs, some faster flowier quad/jeep trails, and I end up riding a bunch of fire roads to connect to trails. My 450 4t does great in all of the faster stuff. I'm really after a 2stroke that doesn't give up anything there, but that has a better feeling in the trees. I have a feeling that I will probably end up having to spend time and some $ re doing the suspension on the w, or spend some time and $ putting a 6 speed into the xc(is that even available yet?).

I know that with the close ratio trans gear selection is a bit more important, and I am kind of a slob, so maybe the w would be better? But then again, the 300 motor is so smooth and linear that it will probably work around that if it's jetted anywhere near correct. I don't know. What have your experiences been? Also, what is the stock tank size on these bikes, and what have you guys found their range to be? Thanks.

No 300 has a six speed tranny.

Both bikes have the 2.9 gallon tank.

I get 65-70 Miles on mine at high elevation as I jet pretty lean.

You may not need to do the suspension. Ride it first. You may dig it stock.

You ride a bunch of fire roads you may want to take a longer look at the W model.

Lots of 08' XC's and XCW's have been available on that "Other" site. $5100-$6300 seems to be the going rate depending on the model, hours and equipment.

There are lots of good threads on the whole XC vs' XCW tranny debate.

Try a search. There are pages and pages of good info.

From your description I would think the W would be your only choice. The W's tall 5th would be ideal for fireroads.

I would love that e button especially on the newest platform.The red sticker just stops me dead in my tracks.How is this not a consideration for you?I have spent 5000$ updating my 98 over the last 2 years and will spend 2500$ next season.I could and would afford a new bike but access is my problem.

Yeah, I know that none of them come stock with a 6 speed, but I've seen ktm 4strokes with "6 speed conversions" where people have added a 6th gear. I was more or less curious to see if anyone had done that yet.

Also, in response to the green sticker thing, I already have two green sticker bikes, and I don't plan on selling either one. My 99 yz250 isn't worth enough money for it to even be worth it, and I've spent way too long setting up my wr450 to be the way that I like it, so I don't think that one will be going anywhere either. I will most likely just street legal the wr and use it for dual sport stuff.

It will be a while before I can pick one up, and it will probably be a while before I start even seeing used ones for sale, but I want to get a new ktm 300 with the magic button. The 09 xc's are coming with it now, as well as the xcw's so I now have a choice. The xc or the xcw? I know that the xcw comes with softer suspension and a wide ratio box, and the xc has the close ratio nox and a stiffer suspension setup.

I ride offroad only, in northern Ca. I weigh 185/190lbs and am an intermediate rider. Terrain here consists of a fair amount of tight single track trails( some fast, some very punishing and slow), a lot of climbs, some faster flowier quad/jeep trails, and I end up riding a bunch of fire roads to connect to trails. My 450 4t does great in all of the faster stuff. I'm really after a 2stroke that doesn't give up anything there, but that has a better feeling in the trees. I have a feeling that I will probably end up having to spend time and some $ re doing the suspension on the w, or spend some time and $ putting a 6 speed into the xc(is that even available yet?).

I know that with the close ratio trans gear selection is a bit more important, and I am kind of a slob, so maybe the w would be better? But then again, the 300 motor is so smooth and linear that it will probably work around that if it's jetted anywhere near correct. I don't know. What have your experiences been? Also, what is the stock tank size on these bikes, and what have you guys found their range to be? Thanks.

300XCW:thumbsup:

Yeah, I know that none of them come stock with a 6 speed, but I've seen ktm 4strokes with "6 speed conversions" where people have added a 6th gear. I was more or less curious to see if anyone had done that yet.

KTM 4 strokes come with a 6 spd trans from the factory. If you want a 6 spd 300 then you will have to get a GasGas.

KTM 4 strokes come with a 6 spd trans from the factory. If you want a 6 spd 300 then you will have to get a GasGas.

Mine is a pen stroke away from being street legal...Sheese I would love to be able to add a 6th gear but I do not think its possible. The four strokes had all those options in the gear box as some were 4 speed SX's and others 6 speed EXC's. The 300 smokers all came in 5 speed configuration so I cant imagine its possible to add that magical 6th gear OD cog!

I rode a new Gas-Gas a few eeks ago out on the trail. Very nice bike. The front end felt literally velcroed to the trail and it had a ton of power.

I will not overlook a gas gas on my next purchase although I think my 300 will last a long long time.

From your description I would think the W would be your only choice. The W's tall 5th would be ideal for fireroads.

5th isn't that tall, 50mph before it gets really buzzy. A tall 5th would be welcome for zipping around some of the roads where i ride.

5th isn't that tall, 50mph before it gets really buzzy. A tall 5th would be welcome for zipping around some of the roads where i ride.

300's get buzzy off idle. At least my 06 does. 07 and newer are supposed to have a lighter piston to help with the vibs.

5th gears is .79 to 1 ratio is tall. If your running stock 13/50 gearing 55 is just cruising.