Bikeswitch. I can't get a straight answer.

I was posting stuff on the KXF-forum, and people are very positive to their bikes. That doesn't play well with my personal experience and Eric Gorr seems to think the KXF and RMZ has issues:

"Kawasaki KXF 2004-07 & Suzuki RMZ250 2004-07

This has to be the most unreliable dirt bike ever built. And the good news is we can help you out. The entire engine is littered with an overwhelming design thought process of planned obsolescence."

http://www.eric-gorr.com/mxenginerebuilding.html

As a CRF-onwer I know Honda had issues, and I'm in promoting the bike religiously. This color of your bike becomes almost a religion. I try to tune that down. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying a YZF and KXF for a change. I'm a bit fragile financially since I'm a student, so I looking for a bike that holds together. I'm pretty sure a CRF would do the job, but I'm very interested to test something different for a change. I have been riding red to long to see the advantages of it.

So what is my maybe a bit naive question (on a CRF forum) your view about the KXF (seems like a very good chassis) and the YZF (not as god chassis, but no one can blame that bike for reliable issues?)

I don't know about you, but going from a 05 to a newer CRF feels a bit pointless if you want the feeling of something different.

I have ridden a few different 250f's... I like my honda. But if you want a switch I really liked the 09 suzuki RMZ250 I think they are the best ones out there next to the honda. I could get comfortable on one really quickly.

Yamaha's I haven't felt totally comfortable on them. I have ridden an 06 KX250F, didn't like it too much. And the KTM just doesn't feel right for me. For me the two bikes are the CRF/R and RMZ.

I have ridden a few different 250f's... I like my honda. But if you want a switch I really liked the 09 suzuki RMZ250 I think they are the best ones out there next to the honda. I could get comfortable on one really quickly.

Yamaha's I haven't felt totally comfortable on them. I have ridden an 06 KX250F, didn't like it too much. And the KTM just doesn't feel right for me. For me the two bikes are the CRF/R and RMZ.

Cool. I hear the RMZ has a great frame, but other than that, I hear to much negative about the bike to want to give it a try. I would like the KXF to be as reliable as the CRF. Or if the YZF is even more reliable than the CRF I might try that one. Maybe don't make sense for you guys.:D and I don't know what kind of answer I'm looking for...:worthy:

For the ultimate in reliability go for the yz250f, they're just wicked for reliability, i don't recommend it but i personally know of 2 guys that have gone over 200 hours without even doing a set of rings!

After 4 yzf's i'm now on an 07 crf250 which i have to say has been no problem whatsoever, no bog, 42 hours & no valve adjustment needed. With only 42 hours however i can't comment on the longer term reliability.

But i do know that with my yzf's i wouldn't bother even looking at a piston until 100 hours or so & it definately wouldn't be needing valves then either.

I do like riding the crf better so i'll see how it holds up as the hours rack up, but if it needs valves or anything like that before 100 hours i'll be going back to yamaha for sure.

For the ultimate in reliability go for the yz250f, they're just wicked for reliability, i don't recommend it but i personally know of 2 guys that have gone over 200 hours without even doing a set of rings!

After 4 yzf's i'm now on an 07 crf250 which i have to say has been no problem whatsoever, no bog, 42 hours & no valve adjustment needed. With only 42 hours however i can't comment on the longer term reliability.

But i do know that with my yzf's i wouldn't bother even looking at a piston until 100 hours or so & it definately wouldn't be needing valves then either.

I do like riding the crf better so i'll see how it holds up as the hours rack up, but if it needs valves or anything like that before 100 hours i'll be going back to yamaha for sure.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you very much. What year of the YZF did you have? What is pro and con vs the CRF other than the potential reliability angle?

The last yzf i had was the 06 model.

Like i said i do like riding the crf better, the main reason being that for me the crf works better over jumps, it feels a bit lighter in the air & if i mess up & over or under jump its seems a bit more forgiving.

Its not a huge difference though & would not have any hesitations going back to a yzf if the crf doesn't prove to be durable.

I got a Honda becasue it won the TWM shootout 4 times. They said it was the easiest to ride. I have seen lots oif people disoputibng the Yamaha valve thing. Lots off guys have trouble. I personally think it is an abuse thing not a brand thing these days. They are pretty dialed in, no so 3 years ago.

I read LOTS of tranny problems with the zook and the KXF. Honda and Yamaha seem to have the tranny thing dialed in good. It was that way on the 2 strokes too the zooks had a glass jaw in the gearbox dept but I still love my RM144. More than the CRF250f actually but the F is easier to ride.

I suck so bad a bike that does not turn just mnakes the problem worse so the YZ's are out.

The Honda may have valve issues, not sure only have 4 hours on it. valves are easier to fix than a tranny though.

In the end I suspect it makes little difference for an average rider. Change the plastic color for a change of pace and call it a day. if you just have an itch for something different then the is understandable thrte grass si alwasy greener, look in my garage you'll see I get that way too. yeah it is not though. Pick based on color or emotion for unless you are at the highest level I doubt the machine will change your lap times.

I say get an RM250 and hang on. :D

Good luck!

ive ridin my friends stock 08 kx 250 once will it was brand new and once while it had like 10 hours on it and i like the feel of a new bike, but it just did not have the snap like a crf.....and i just didn't pull as well at all, lacking power down low through the mid and amissin a little on the top

Cool. Keep the good answers coming. Damn this is actually becoming more confusing the more I think of it.:D

Another thing I didn't mention is that I have like tons of stuff for the CRF, like black wheels, plastics heigh seat, extra valves etc. I could of course sell all these stuff.

I guess when the time comes in a month or so, the price will decide. As it looks now the CRF is the cheapest one.

ive ridin my friends stock 08 kx 250 once will it was brand new and once while it had like 10 hours on it and i like the feel of a new bike, but it just did not have the snap like a crf.....and i just didn't pull as well at all, lacking power down low through the mid and amissin a little on the top

what are you talking about? My Rm144 has more snap than my 07 250F and it will out pull it fairly easily. An 08 KX250 has 47 or so whp compared to mid 30's for the 250F. A new 250 pulls WAY harder than my 250F and the mid range is downright violent compared to a 250F.

You have to be on the pipe, the riding style is WAY different. It requires more nuts and faster reflexes. Did you short shift it or something? Something is fishy with your story. 250 2 strokes have such radical power delivery that the tame 250F's are competitive simply becasue the softer kinder gentler power delivery is easier to manage.

what are you talking about? My Rm144 has more snap than my 07 250F and it will out pull it fairly easily. An 08 KX250 has 47 or so whp compared to mid 30's for the 250F. A new 250 pulls WAY harder than my 250F and the mid range is downright violent compared to a 250F.

You have to be on the pipe, the riding style is WAY different. It requires more nuts and faster reflexes. Did you short shift it or something? Something is fishy with your story. 250 2 strokes have such radical power delivery that the tame 250F's are competitive simply becasue the softer kinder gentler power delivery is easier to manage.

i think he forgot to put the f on the back of the kx250....because you just really cant compair a 250 and a 250f

I have 101.1 hard hrs on my 08 crf250r. It is ridden hard and not afraid of seeing the rev limit. Valves have not budged. The hondas are reliable as far as I'm concerned.

As I said the two bikes I am most comfortable on are the Honda and suzuki.

Ditto on the 08 CRF250R!

1 intake valve moved .002 after 3 hours and I've never had to adjust them since. I replaced the piston after 40 hours and I change the oil every 12 hours like the book says. My kid practices at least twice a week and races almost every weekend in the B-class and rides the rev limiter non stop. I wish I could have said the same for the 06 CRF250R he put through hell and back. That 06 cost me alot of $$$...

i love my honda but i as well have looked elsewhere.. i settled on a yz250, coming off a 250f the 250 smoker was a really fun ride.. but if you are going to stay with a 250f this is my opinion for my crf250 is a 05 as well...

07/08 crf's are a different ride and feel to me.. more power, and feel lighter in the air, yet to me i felt more comfortable on my 05 then the new ones.. (feel like you sit more on top of it then in it) but overall a very great ride...

i rode a 07 kx250f, this bike actually handled the best for me other then the honda, power was great down low and i felt comfortable on it.. shifting was a breeze... they did a good job with the new kxf's in my opinion.. no complaints really..

07 yz250f- good handling but i didnt like the feel, even tho i ride yamahas and hondas, the feel wasnt as good as the crf or kxf.. bike feels high and you sit on top of it other then "in" it.. i didnt like the shifting tho, you hit nuetral really easy especially if your used to a honda, but the yamaha holds up pretty well reliability wise.. i cornered better on the crf and kxf but jumping the yzf felt more controllable then the kxf.. still the crf feels the best overall..

ktm 250sxf 08- if you like power out of the box go for this bike.. the accessories (hyd. clutch, wheels, ect.) are great, only thing i didnt like about the ktm is the stock rear suspension, especially in breaking bumps and whoops.. the back end was everywhere even with the correct sag.. bike requires leaning further back then the others from what i found..

suzuki- i havent had a chance to ride a newer alum. framed one.. but i have heard both good and bad...

• 2 weeks later...
i love my honda but i as well have looked elsewhere.. i settled on a yz250, coming off a 250f the 250 smoker was a really fun ride.. but if you are going to stay with a 250f this is my opinion for my crf250 is a 05 as well...

07/08 crf's are a different ride and feel to me.. more power, and feel lighter in the air, yet to me i felt more comfortable on my 05 then the new ones.. (feel like you sit more on top of it then in it) but overall a very great ride...

i rode a 07 kx250f, this bike actually handled the best for me other then the honda, power was great down low and i felt comfortable on it.. shifting was a breeze... they did a good job with the new kxf's in my opinion.. no complaints really..

07 yz250f- good handling but i didnt like the feel, even tho i ride yamahas and hondas, the feel wasnt as good as the crf or kxf.. bike feels high and you sit on top of it other then "in" it.. i didnt like the shifting tho, you hit nuetral really easy especially if your used to a honda, but the yamaha holds up pretty well reliability wise.. i cornered better on the crf and kxf but jumping the yzf felt more controllable then the kxf.. still the crf feels the best overall..

ktm 250sxf 08- if you like power out of the box go for this bike.. the accessories (hyd. clutch, wheels, ect.) are great, only thing i didnt like about the ktm is the stock rear suspension, especially in breaking bumps and whoops.. the back end was everywhere even with the correct sag.. bike requires leaning further back then the others from what i found..

suzuki- i havent had a chance to ride a newer alum. framed one.. but i have heard both good and bad...

Very good answers. Do you think a tall rider 6.1 would like the Yamaha better as a consequence of this feeling of sitting "on" the bike. I meant is this just a consequence of a taller riding height? As it is I must use a taller seat and bar riser to make the CRF acceptable.

Well i came OFF a 2008 KX250F And bought an 08 CRF250R. So far my lap times are 5 seconds faster and i haven't done anything to the suspension yet, overall i prefer the way the crf handles and feels. It feels smaller and lighter than the kxf.

One thing that kxf had though, was a TON of torque. You could wheelie it easily in 1st gear with the torque.