Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Racing at Idle

Looking for some help here. While coming to a stop, my engine revs very high.

This happens mostly at traffic lights. I can lower the idle and stop the racing, by letting out on the clutch, while in gear.:worthy: This drops the idle and it stays normal until the next stop. As far as I can tell, the engine has no Mods done and the exhaust, etc is stock. I have an "05" S model, that was purchased used and has 4100 miles on it. This also seems to happen mostly after being run for a while.:D

My guess is to do this: With the bike hot/warm turn the idle screw in till it just starts to puke then go 2.5 turns out on the screw. also you may need to make some adjustment to the throttle and clutch cables (probably do this first before messing with the idle screw; could be a stuck throttle cable).

My 2 Cents worth of help............................

I have exactly same problem with my '05 400S.

If I release the clutch a little bit and engage it again, it return to normal. So I don't think it's because of the idle screw.

My guest is more some dirt in the carburator. I didn't have the time to take it a part and clean it but I will do it soon.

Funny because I also bought it used witth a little less than 5000 km on it!

If i'm to go in there and replace the pilot jet, Should I 3X3 etc? Your thoughts william.

If i'm to go in there and replace the pilot jet, Should I 3X3 etc? Your thoughts william.

May as well do the whole thing if you're going to dig around in there anyway.

Looking for some help here. While coming to a stop, my engine revs very high.

This happens mostly at traffic lights. I can lower the idle and stop the racing, by letting out on the clutch, while in gear.:worthy: This drops the idle and it stays normal until the next stop. As far as I can tell, the engine has no Mods done and the exhaust, etc is stock. I have an "05" S model, that was purchased used and has 4100 miles on it. This also seems to happen mostly after being run for a while.:D

I had a similar problem from the push cable. I removed mine (I have a FCRMX) and it was the culprit.

Since the carb will probably have to be pulled to give it a good cleaning, now muight be a good time to do a James Dean Jet kit, the 3X3 and an extended fuel screw. The kit will be replacing the jets, so it is one less thing.....

Not related to your surge problem (sorry!) but I JD'ed mine about 2 months ago...its a noticeable difference, and I'm satisfied with it. It'll definitely put a grin on your face first time you hammer it :D And I also think it'll clear up your surging - along with a good cleaning!

It's maybe not related to the problem but it's a good thing to know!

Thanks!

This winter I installed a BB kit with Hotcams, a FMF pipe, did the 3x3 mod and installed a JD kit. The bike is running fine but still got the surge when I stop. It still idle fast. If I release the clutch a little bit while in gear, the idle go down to normal. If I just give some throttle and release it, the idle go fast.

With all the mods that I did and with the jet kit, I tough it will get rid of this problem, but no, it's still here.

Any more idea?

High idle with a warm moter is lean in the idle circuit. Richer on the screw.