Clutch Abuse

Hi,

What constitutes "clutch abuse?" I hear and read a lot of comments about being "hard on the clutch" or "abusing the clutch" - so I'm wondering about a definition for this term.

Thanks

Excessive constant slipping the clutch at high RPM as well as slam-popping it at ignorantly high RPM levels would constitute abuse.

That being said, changing the case lubricant with high quality synthetics (such as Klotz Flex-Drive 30 on a 2-stroke) every 5hrs of riding or so goes a HUGE way in preserving clutch life even when hideously "abused".

If you slip the clutch a lot out of corners then you are hard on the clutch. People that do this wear out clutches fast and need to adjust the free play very often.

Clutch abuse, as defined by the dictionary, High maintenance's riding style and use of clutch.

Also see Transmission abuse....

Okay - thanks!

I'm not sure I know exactly what "slipping" the clutch is. Could someone describe that for me? Is it when you don't release the lever all the way and kind of of keep in on the edge while still moving?

I know that for autos riding the clutch causes excessive wear and overheating ...that would be abuse.

Okay - thanks!

I'm not sure I know exactly what "slipping" the clutch is. Could someone describe that for me? Is it when you don't release the lever all the way and kind of of keep in on the edge while still moving?

I know that for autos riding the clutch causes excessive wear and overheating ...that would be abuse.

slipping the clutch is pretty much normal on a 2 stroke (from my experience) imagine pulling the clutch lever in just a little bit through an entire corner so its not fulling engaging and revving your bike really high. thats slipping the clutch. If you do this on a 4stroke then your probably in a gear to high and need to downshift.

i personally have a highly clutch riding style, i clutch to change gears instead of letting of the throttle, clutch tp keep the weight of the front wheel when hitting obstacles, (my forks being way to stiff for my weight causes wicked head shake if i use the forks), cornering ect, basically a riding style that uses the clutch a lot, you'll know fi this is you because you have to adjust the free play often, and if your very heavy the metal disk's will get hot enough to warp out of shape making it hard to select neutral with the engine running.