Sign in to follow this  

New BWP owner

I bought a 94 650L last night, it is white, so BWP I guess. I rode it home (about 30 miles) and I was pleasantly surprised about the bike's freeway capability. Mind you I'm switching from 140 HP bike to a 31 so I was concerned, but not anymore (maybe a steering damper would help a little more). The bike is in top shape, ran like a champ. However I noticed some minor issues:

1. Choke does not stay in open (or any other position), it snaps back to closed like a trigger, any suggestions?

2. The turn signals don't work properly, sometimes they come on, but not consistently. Doesn't feel like a contact problem (I tried to tug, twist and turn the cables but didn't make any difference), maybe the switch is worn out, when it does work, at first faint clicking sounds comes from the gauge cluster and then the light starts flashing. Any ideas?

3. Seems like the high beam/low beam is backwards, when I switch to high beam the blue light comes on but the light pattern switches to "wide fan, close illumination" and on low beam the light does a nice long high beam pattern. I didn't check yet (got home late already), is it possible that someone installed the bulb backwards?

And last, it's not a problem just asking for opinions, the bike has fresh Pirelli MT90s on front and rear, any experience with these tires good/bad?

thx for the replies! :D

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have the same machine that I bought about two months ago. It sounds like someone has done a little work? to it. As far as the choke goes, It probably has something to do with the way it's connects at the bars. Go here...http://www.partspitstop.com/

to see a comprehensive parts break down an maybe you will see just what's missing or connected wrong. The light issue is probably as simple as switching the wires and it sounds like you might have a weak flasher or corroded connection for the blinkers. When I got my 94, it had zero issues with the exception of an extremely lean (Factory) condition. I de-smogged it, removed the air box snorkle and replaced the air filter with a high flow Uni, and performed "Daves Mods" to the carburetor to richen it up. The bike absolutely came to life. I've had over 100 motorcycles and I can tell you that not one my previous machines gave me as much pleasure as my BWP! Good luck...I'm sure you'll be pleased with your new ride.

Thx!

After a longer ride today, I noticed more issues:

4. Surging at low RPM, low speed, problem?

5. Backfires a lot on deceleration (especially when cold)

6. After chopping the throttle it too1-2 seconds for the RPMs to drop idle.

7. Do i have to close the petcock when I'm parked?

I'm planning to pull the plug for inspection this weekend, also doing the Dave's Mod and rejet, (soon as I get my hands on some parts) for San Diego, what would be the recommended sizes? 58/155?

Thx for all the replies!

I bought a 94 650L last night, it is white, so BWP I guess. I rode it home (about 30 miles) and I was pleasantly surprised about the bike's freeway capability. Mind you I'm switching from 140 HP bike to a 31 so I was concerned, but not anymore (maybe a steering damper would help a little more). The bike is in top shape, ran like a champ. However I noticed some minor issues:

1. Choke does not stay in open (or any other position), it snaps back to closed like a trigger, any suggestions?

It sounds like a mechanical problem, but it's something that one would have to physically see to determine.
2. The turn signals don't work properly, sometimes they come on, but not consistently. Doesn't feel like a contact problem (I tried to tug, twist and turn the cables but didn't make any difference), maybe the switch is worn out, when it does work, at first faint clicking sounds comes from the gauge cluster and then the light starts flashing. Any ideas?
That sounds like a simple flasher problem. You can get one at an auto parts store for about 5 bucks.
3. Seems like the high beam/low beam is backwards, when I switch to high beam the blue light comes on but the light pattern switches to "wide fan, close illumination" and on low beam the light does a nice long high beam pattern. I didn't check yet (got home late already), is it possible that someone installed the bulb backwards?
Sounds like someone installed the electrical connector on the back of the head lamp upside down. :worthy:

BTW, congratulations on your new purchase. BWP's are a favorite around here :D

For the choke issue...if you take the bolt out that holds the clutch lever/choke lever/hand covers. you will see that under the choke lever there is a piece of metal that creates the 3 position choke and if it is missing it would cause it to just play freely.

Thx!

After a longer ride today, I noticed more issues:

4. Surging at low RPM, low speed, problem?

5. Backfires a lot on deceleration (especially when cold)

6. After chopping the throttle it too1-2 seconds for the RPMs to drop idle.

7. Do i have to close the petcock when I'm parked?

I'm planning to pull the plug for inspection this weekend, also doing the Dave's Mod and rejet, (soon as I get my hands on some parts) for San Diego, what would be the recommended sizes? 58/155?

Thx for all the replies!

4 and 5 are classic lean conditions. Perform Daves Mods (up on pilot and main jet, raise jet needle, drill slide, de-snorkle airbox and install Uni or K&N air filter)

I'm not sure I understand #6. Do you mean that the throttle stays at high RPM for one to two secs or the idle just goes a bit lower after that time?

Closing off the fuel at the petcock is a good idea. Most of the time it's not a problem but every once in a while the float needle will fail to properly seat for one reason or another, causing gas to flow out of the bowl through the overflow tube. It's never good when you come into the garage and see a huge puddle of gas all over the floor, especially if you have an ignition source. like a water heater, in the area.

from what everyone else has said, seems like you have everything covered. if you need a tiny washer to do dave's mods, i have some extras. just let me know and i'll send a few.:D

Thx all, sorry for 6. typo, fixed:

6. After chopping the throttle in higher RPMs it takes 1-2 seconds for the RPMs to drop to idle (I noticed this at the end of my ride, longer freeway section, hot engine).

Thx all, sorry for 6. typo, fixed:

6. After chopping the throttle in higher RPMs it takes 1-2 seconds for the RPMs to drop to idle (I noticed this at the end of my ride, longer freeway section, hot engine).

More than likely a cable/linkage issue.

Have someone chop the throttle while you watch the carburetor linkage. Make sure it's fully retracting. If not, check the cable adjustment. You can also completely disconnect the cable(s) and manually throttle it at the linkage to see if the condition stops.

A.) Well I found out, that the high beam is actually the high beam and not backwards as I thought first, however it seems a little strange

When I have he low beam on, the top half of the headlight is reflecting the light, when the high beam is on only the lower half of the headlight is reflecting the light (shouldn't be both lower and top half illuminate when the high beam is on)?

B.) Exhaust smells like fuel a bit, isn't that means rich mixture?

|

A.) Well I found out, that the high beam is actually the high beam and not backwards as I thought first, however it seems a little strange

When I have he low beam on, the top half of the headlight is reflecting the light, when the high beam is on only the lower half of the headlight is reflecting the light (shouldn't be both lower and top half illuminate when the high beam is on)?

B.) Exhaust smells like fuel a bit, isn't that means rich mixture?

|

Yes. You need to get into your carb and check the jet numbers. Then we can go from there.

Thx, I'll pull the carb soon as I get all the parts together, for the Dave's mod. The bike is operating between sea level and 1000ft 90% of the time, and I'm planning to rejet, 55/158 are the recommended jets for this bracket?

I found that RPMs not dropping to idle fast enough is caused by sticky throttle cables.

lube the cables well. those things are junk. when i switched to a FCR carb, i could twist the throttle back with my pinky. those old throttle cables need some lovin

So I pulled the spark plug, and found it like this:

Soft, black, sooty deposits easily identify this plug condition. This is most often caused by an over-rich, air/fuel mixture.

Check for a sticking choke, clogged air cleaner, or a carburetor problem - float level high, defective needle or seat, etc.

This may also be attributed to weak ignition voltage, an inoperative preheating system (carburetor intake air), or extremely low cylinder compression.

The air filter is new (stock), as far as I know the carb is stock too,so if the 650l supposed to be lean from the factory, what would be the problem?

I'm going to pull the carb, but I'm going to wait until

I have all the parts for dave's mod (washer, jets, high flow air filter). For now I'll change the plug, any suggestions?

The enrichener is either stuck in the open position, float needle stuck open, too large of jets, restricted intake.

Let us know what you find.

Lubed all the cables, the throttle snaps back as it should be now.

Worked on the turn signal problem too, (local bike dealership wanted 50 bucks for the a Honda flash relay, haw-haw, sure fellas, let me bend over too, same relay at car part shop, 6 bucks), however it isn't the relay, it is the switch. Took it apart, cleaned it, made it work a little better, but still not 100%, oh well.

Obligatory picture:

2952747321_d7e96ca3d8_o.jpg

Lubed all the cables, the throttle snaps back as it should be now.

Worked on the turn signal problem too, (local bike dealership wanted 50 bucks for the a Honda flash relay, haw-haw, sure fellas, let me bend over too, same relay at car part shop, 6 bucks), however it isn't the relay, it is the switch. Took it apart, cleaned it, made it work a little better, but still not 100%, oh well.

Obligatory picture:

2952747321_d7e96ca3d8_o.jpg

Very clean old L! I really prefer the look of that "era" L over the red ones.