DRZ oil selection

I have been told to run 15w50. will the higher viscosity oil increase engine wear when the bike is warming up because if preforms better at higher temps? will the 10w40 that the manual recomends reduce engine wear when the engine is cold? Is there any point in running synthetic on bike with 4,000 miles if I change the oil regularly? thanks in advance

This very topic has been discussed in many previous thread.

The facts are that using 15W50 Silkonene Pro, a full ester synthetic, is the best thing you could do for your engine and wallet for the long term.

Its available through the TT store at a competitive price.

I have been told to run 15w50. will the higher viscosity oil increase engine wear when the bike is warming up because if preforms better at higher temps? will the 10w40 that the manual recomends reduce engine wear when the engine is cold?

No. 15w synthetic flows better cold than 10w organic.

Is there any point in running synthetic on bike with 4,000 miles if I change the oil regularly? thanks in advance

Yes, there is. The oil in our bikes takes a beating. Its lubing the engine and transmission, including the clutch. It degrades quickly. An full esther base synthetic (10w-, 15w- or 20w-50) is highly recommended. Even then frequent oil changes should be done.