Sign in to follow this  

clutching

ight...I was playing cod4 with my mx buds on xbox live last night and they said that you don't have to use the clutch to shift up...I was sure that you had to use the clutch when shifting up but the clutch isn't needed to shift down...who's right???

The transmissions on MX bikes are made to shift up and down without the clutch. It is best to let off the throttle to take the load off before shifting though.

The transmissions on MX bikes are made to shift up and down without the clutch. It is best to let off the throttle to take the load off before shifting though.

Pretty much what he said. I usually never use the clutch when shifting down, and use it about 75% when I upshift.

Wow i use it everytime I shift, should I do that or is bad on the bike?

No it's not bad for it, just causes unnecessary wear on the clutch cable and your hand.

You can do a search and probably find 20 other threads related to this. Some people say yay and others nay yet both sides have proof. I dont think theres a right answer.

the gear ratios are so close together it really doesn't require the use of a clutch - just make sure you let the throttle off when shifting to alleviate unnecessary load on the gears.

What about when shifting in wider ratio woods and trail bikes. CRF-X's and WR-F's and such? When is it needed then, or all the time?

Letting off the gas slowes you down, slowing down causes longer lap times. I'll just use the clutch like normal.

My bike can do smooth and seamless full power clutchless up shifts...

The clutch isn't needed when shifting up/down. Just use it whenever you need it. Sometimes I use the clutch when shifting, sometimes I don't. It depends on the situation/what I feel like.

The only time I don't use it is on my starts. Other than that, I use it most of the time...

I use the clutch probably 75%ish of the time on upshifts. When I use it though, I'm not letting off the gas. I'm held open and just slip it for a second to get the load off of the transmission to slam the next gear. Down shifting... eh' I don't really use it.

Letting off the gas slowes you down, slowing down causes longer lap times. I'll just use the clutch like normal.

Pulling in the clutch cuts power to the wheel completely, which also slows you down just as much.

I dont know about you guys but I never even let off. I went to a Pro quad guys racing school, when I was still in the quad game. He insisted that you should shift without letting up, just clutch and shift as fast as you can and be back on the power. It works for me and once you get it down it is like second nature.

I use the clutch to shift when I have to. I don't use it to shift when I don't have to. It's something you'll figure out with seat time.

I 'fan' the clutch on upshifts, but rarely use it for down shifting. Especially on a fourstroke. I dont like slowing down, using engine brake, then disengagging the clutch and having the bike 'coast' faster, then having the engine braking continue. Its unnecessary momentum shifts. And recently I have discovered that being smooth, taking smooth lines, accelerating/braking smooth = less energy waste and faster-4-longer speeds.

Isnt that redundant? pulling in the clutch will slow you down too... If you are good enough and quick enough to time it so that you let off the throttle while the clutch is in then you wouldnt be flat shifting and unnessesarily revving the engine, though each to their own i guess.

Personally I use the clutch for all shifting unless im racing (figuritivly speeking, i dont actually compete) in which case ill use it to down shift with the bike equivilant of heel-toe braking, by that i mean clutch in, change down, rev slightly, clutch out..

I have a WR250f and only use the clutch when starting from a stop and for controlling power to the wheel like for doing wheelies. Up shift with full throttle and its smooth as a sheeps arse after a week on the clover.

My road bikes a bit different though. Clutchless on the way up but clutch on the way down.

use no clutch on shifts. the only time ive ever tried to use a clutch on shift was on my old 125. even then it didnt help much.