DRZ 400 lowering linkage

So what is the deal with the loweing linkage's that I see on Ebay? Do they lower the bike for short guys, or are they a performance enhancement that helps you corner better by lowering your center of gravity?

A cheap way to lower the bike. Only good if you are a light person (under 150#). It does affect the suspension ratio. A search will find you many posts on this

I was looking at those ebay links too, and was wondering how well they'd work (i'm 5'6" and 160).

You say they are a cheap way to lower the bike... is there any other/better way to lower the bike? I was looking at the ones on ebay over the koba versions as an option to save a few bucks, but if there's anther approach that could be considered (aside from cutting down the seat - which i did)...

I got the Kouba links and am happy with them. Can't see how the quality could be much different on those ones. It's a pretty simple part. Only thing would be if the stock bushings don't fit properly in the holes.

be prepared to do some suspension tuning if you lower your bike. This increases the leverage your swing arm has on your rear shock.

I was looking at those ebay links too, and was wondering how well they'd work (i'm 5'6" and 160).

You say they are a cheap way to lower the bike... is there any other/better way to lower the bike? I was looking at the ones on ebay over the koba versions as an option to save a few bucks, but if there's anther approach that could be considered (aside from cutting down the seat - which i did)...

You can have a suspension shop rebuild the shock and the forks to lower the height. Not the cheap thing to do but works much better.

You can have a suspension shop rebuild the shock and the forks to lower the height. Not the cheap thing to do but works much better.

The links worked great for me and both my forks and rear shock still have their full travel.

I guess that I am more interested in the performance of this mod. I am 6' 175lbs and not really concerned about the height of the bike. I want it to corner better. Has any one noticed a difference in cornering by lowering their bike? I figured this link would be a nice inexpensive way to lower the bike a little. Then maybe slide the fork tubes up in the trees a little too. Maybe I can drag pegs?

I guess that I am more interested in the performance of this mod. I am 6' 175lbs and not really concerned about the height of the bike. I want it to corner better. Has any one noticed a difference in cornering by lowering their bike? I figured this link would be a nice inexpensive way to lower the bike a little. Then maybe slide the fork tubes up in the trees a little too. Maybe I can drag pegs?

Hi aaron, :D

I lowered my street ridden only SM front and rear for about a hundred bucks (Kouba links $70, Tusk bar riser kit $20) and love the way it handles the corners with a significantly lowered center of gravity...

IMG_1771.jpg

To retain handling characteristics, the front should be lowered as much as the rear. And that can be done with a handlebar riser kit which allows the fork tubes to be pulled up enough so that the front is lowered to match the rear.

I bought the #2 Koubas (1 1 /4 inch lowering) from Norm Kouba, and got the Tusk kit from RockyMountainATV.com.

But... I'm not sure how well they'll work with a 175 pound rider, as the links reduce the leverage of the rear swingarm over the rear shock. I'm 5'5" 130lbs. and hardly make the suspension deflect at all. In fact I had to remove all of the rear shock preload, and set all the adjustments on soft to make the suspension supple enough so that the wheels would accurately track the road surface without transmitting all of the motion to me. The end result is the rear and front lowered about 1 1/2 inches. When I'm sitting on the bike the seat height is just under 30 inches and I can put both feet flat on the ground.

If you buy some other links... make sure you know exactly how much they will lower your bike, because the links come in 3 different lengths:

3/4", 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" lowering.

I would not recommend the 1 3/4 as it would probably soften the rear too much. The 3/4 link would likely work best with your weight if you don't do heavy duty dirt or stunt riding.

Take Care,

Greg