XR4 Soaking Clutch Plates ????

Soaked the clutch wear plates and the metal plates too. They were soakign for more than 24-hrs, so I took them out of the oil. Now they sit open to the atmosphere. Do they need to soak again before installation or no? Did they soak too long?

Instructions say to "slip" the clutch to remove excess oil. Do they mean during first use and then they shoudl engage correcly? Should I remove any excess with ??? (towell of some sort) before installation?

No need to blot excess oil from the plates before install. You can't over soak them. They're in and coated in oil when installed in the engine anyway. It's probably best not to let them dry out, like letting them set in the open for a month before you finally get around to installing them. I'd leave them in oil until you're ready to install them. That you soak them before installing is really the only concern, that, and getting the install sequence correct. Don't sweat the rest.

• Like 1

No need to blot excess oil from the plates before install. You can't over soak them. They're in and coated in oil when installed in the engine anyway. It's probably best not to let them dry out, like letting them set in the open for a month before you finally get around to installing them. I'd leave them in oil until you're ready to install them. That you soak them before installing is really the only concern, that, and getting the install sequence correct. Don't sweat the rest.

Install sequence???

Wear Plate then metal plate and repeat right. I still have the old removed set all together to use as a template.

I took th eplates out of oil thi smornig and will install tonight (hopefully.)

damone, here are the instructions from my 01 xr manual verbatim from the point at which you will need them, "coat the clutch discs with clean engine oil. install the seven clutch discs and six clutch plates alternately, starting with a clutch disc. when installing the outside disc only, align the end grooves in the clutch outer with the tabs of the disc. apply engine oil to the clutch lifter piece whole surface and the bearing in the pressure plate. install the lifter piece into the pressure plate bearing with the flange side facing out. install the pressure plate. install the clutch springs and bolts. tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern in several steps." there you go, hope that helps, Dave

• Like 1

damone, here are the instructions from my 01 xr manual verbatim from the point at which you will need them, "coat the clutch discs with clean engine oil. install the seven clutch discs and six clutch plates alternately, starting with a clutch disc. when installing the outside disc only, align the end grooves in the clutch outer with the tabs of the disc. apply engine oil to the clutch lifter piece whole surface and the bearing in the pressure plate. install the lifter piece into the pressure plate bearing with the flange side facing out. install the pressure plate. install the clutch springs and bolts. tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern in several steps." there you go, hope that helps, Dave

Thanks Dave.

I got a manual and was just wondering if there was soemthing special TR42 was referring too.

I liek you step by step though. That is very helpful.

Gas to both of you.

I wet the clutch plates but never soaked them. Wetting starts when I am lapping them to remove any high spots that can cause a little uneven wear if bad enough on hard use (lots of clutch work on a tech ride say) especially if the basket is pretty worn (near finger limit). It's over kill but comes from wrenching on superbikes with 175hp.