Sign in to follow this  

what oil are you running? 08

nearly out of my current oil which is a motul 3000+, 10 40, semi synthetic, but notice in the manual they reccomend a motul 300v, fully syn, 10 40, low friction, my question really is will the 3000+ be ok for the motor as ive never been keen on a fully syn going around the clutch, also what oil are you guys using ??

jason

I have always used Shell Rotella T 10-30 myself, no problems and it is cheap, less than $8 at Wally's.

^^^^^ what he said... cheap and good oil always change mine after every ride.. best way....

Wally World Supertech 15W40 diesel oil in my YZ250F. I plan on the same in my RMZ. Cheap, works well and was tested by one of the YZF forum members to have more anti wear additives than many of the big name brands. Changed every 5 hours or less on the YZF, will be the same on the RMZ.

Mark

Hey mmattockx,

Careful with those anti wear additives in oils. I don't have any expirience with that particular oil, but most anti wear additives in oils are deigned for cars which don't have a wet clutch. They can pollute your clutch plates which require a certain amount of friction and hurt clutch performance.

Hey mmattockx,

Careful with those anti wear additives in oils. I don't have any expirience with that particular oil, but most anti wear additives in oils are deigned for cars which don't have a wet clutch. They can pollute your clutch plates which require a certain amount of friction and hurt clutch performance.

Not friction modifiers. The anti-wear stuff is mostly zinc and some other bits I can't recall at the moment (phosphorous and others, I think). Yes, friction modifiers will pooch a set of clutch plates in no time. The Supertech has worked fine for me all summer in the 250F with zero problems.

I don't bother with synthetic oils for our uses; most of the gain with synth is longer service intervals and better detergent properties. When we change oil every few hours those qualities are not really required. The Supertech costs less than $2/liter and I can change a lot of oil at that price... As always, YMMV.

Mark