Baja 1000 MineSweepers Squad- Volunteers Wanted

SAVE A BIKE, A RACE or A LIFE

I thought I would start a thread to generate some interest in riders/crew or spectators who might be able to do a dawn patrol sweep of the baja 1000 course from Ojos to the Rumerosa descent.

My thinking is, although not authorized by SCORE, is to have a couple of guys simply ride the course from dawn to spot possible man-made Booby Traps...

We know that Ronnie and 7x couldve been killed last June...there was a lot of hoopla surrounding the construction of Traps...and some talk of organizing a small crew of vigilantes to check the course for deadly traps...

If a volunteer found a potentially deady trap, they coul duse their judgement to possibly save a life...Instead of confronting the makers, the volunteer could simply wait (an hour or two) for the field to come through and warn the riders about the pending obsticle.

Send PMs or post a reply if this is something that would work for you.

(if you're opposed to the idea or the this thread, send me a PM.

sB

From those of us that race the race and especially myself being a newbie where everything in Baja is foreign I think it is a great idea and it would be much appreciated! Thank you-Thank you!:D

Larry Perkins

You could just call in to weatherman to relay the trap location. But it is a good Idea.

If weatherman is not available you could try weathermex to get a report. But he's as reliable as a weathercast in Mexico.

... sounds like a good idea (system to alert of danger). But difficult to manage the communication, and from who the comm will come from, and to.

Using forums like this is a good idea to get the word out, and honestly if there's locals building a trap... there might be safety conscious people who are there as well (good spots to watch the race, and/or film, take pictures..etc). I'd hope those people would use a radio (if they have one), and get a hold of Weatherman, to alert him of such an issue (if they are able to reach weatherman, or a relay).

I don't see a viable way to get the info back to racers, when some don't race with a radio. How would you slow down a racer? Alerting him to the issue? ... have pit services relay the info?? If they did or were able to alert a racer before the B-trap, I can see a racer cruising along, with fear of a booby trap near. However, it's still 10miles down the road. Racer won't know... as more than likely he's not staring at mile markers on a GPS, or on course.

This would take some major organization, and a process to get that noted information back to someone who can relay appropriately.

IMHO - it's part of racing, part of the challenge or adventure. It's been there for years. Racers, new and old, should race with "eyes wide open".

One or two guys could cover the areas outside of Ojos towards the descent.

Its nothing to take lightly. It will not be possible to notify riders of the hazzards by radio-to SCORE Ops to the start line...

Sweepers could only stop and wait...and do the right thing...

This is not an authorized thread

One or two guys could cover the areas outside of Ojos towards the descent.

Its nothing to take lightly. It will not be possible to notify riders of the hazzards by radio-to SCORE Ops to the start line...

Sweepers could only stop and wait...and do the right thing...

This is not an authorized thread

So your saying... send out two riders.

If they see a trap in development, or built... one fo them stop, wait for rider #1... #2... and ??? (when do they get off the course?)

If there's more than a couple traps... your out of riders. :D

I'm not an authorized poster

It sounds like a good idea, and I'd be into helping if I wasn't racing. I'm just not sure how viable it would be without several riders.

I saw too many to count in the first 15 miles of the 500. (40+, no joke) Most of them were just lame attempts at a jump, but some were well crafted and could have posed serious danger. The worst was the complete removal (and or changing of) the course markers.

Hopefully, the racers can temper their adrenaline (starting with me:banghead: ) in order to keep at a safe pace through the sections that are typically riddled with booby traps.

Have a safe race/trip to all. See you in Baja.:D

You could just call in to weatherman to relay the trap location. But it is a good Idea.

If weatherman is not available you could try weathermex to get a report. But he's as reliable as a weathercast in Mexico.

Excellent idea Scotty.

Some of our more "intellectual" types are getting a little carried away.

Sounds like a simple plan-- ride the first 100 miles of course-- DESTROYING ANY TRAPS THAT ARE FOUND.

Not using radios to tell people about them--but just knocking them down.

Radio problem-- very often wrong mile marker-- location is reported---

as was the case in 1996 SF250 when I hit one doing about 90...

Yes, I realize they will just get rebuilt, yes, I realize the locals may attack and kill anyone messing with their "jump"...

But, no harm can come from a couple guys leaving OJOS on the course pre-dawn--- knocking down anything they find....

good idea Scotty.

I'm not too worried about myself in this one--If I do end up riding the start, the Honda Helo will be in use........

Actually... "realistic" would be the proper term.

... good luck on knocking them down, I didn't see a shovel mount on any bikes... and those traps can get pretty big pre-dawn. Locals have all the time in the world to build (and drink). Not the time to play Baja Tough Guy.

Like MotoManx; I too would be more than happy to give it a whirl, but I'll be supporting down in the Felipe area.

Excellent idea Scotty.

Boy JAT, have you got this crowd snowed......"intellectual"......:D:worthy:

Years back a couple of the top teams would send out a 'pilot' rider thru sections.

It's best for sections with many gates.

A pilot would have really saved many riders off the start in ~'95 B500 when there was a tele pole laid across the road only 2 miles off the Start Line. Start was east of Ojos on the fast straight roads. It claimed many riders, some very bad, hitting it wide open in blinding dust.

If riders were to do this they need to be very smart about it and have eyes in the back of their head.

Starting at the blue gate, going thru Ojos, would be nice for sure.

It would be best (but I am in no way taking any responsibility for this) if it was 3 sections - blue gate to Compadre Rd, El C. Rd to Margarita/Topo, Marg./Topo to Rumorosa.

They'd all have to start early and be prepared to stop and stay at any location for hours and hours to warn riders.

Dan, I notice you have a 650L in your stable. Isn't that the next best thing to a steamroller? Can't think of a better way to flatten the traps than that. :D

Years back a couple of the top teams would send out a 'pilot' rider thru sections.

It's best for sections with many gates.

A pilot would have really saved many riders off the start in ~'95 B500 when there was a tele pole laid across the road only 2 miles off the Start Line. Start was east of Ojos on the fast straight roads. It claimed many riders, some very bad, hitting it wide open in blinding dust.

If riders were to do this they need to be very smart about it and have eyes in the back of their head.

Starting at the blue gate, going thru Ojos, would be nice for sure.

It would be best (but I am in no way taking any responsibility for this) if it was 3 sections - blue gate to Compadre Rd, El C. Rd to Margarita/Topo, Marg./Topo to Rumorosa.

They'd all have to start early and be prepared to stop and stay at any location for hours and hours to warn riders.

I too think this would be great idea......just need to work out the particulars.......It could get dangerous if a rider got caught by one of those mobs......might be better to ride back 100'-200' and have a sign......:D

First off, this is a great idea. If I were down this year,I would help in a heart beat. I don't remember where to get the stuff, but you can make lime bombs with brightly colored lime (like they use for laying out football fields.) When the booby sweepers find a trap, they backtrack 1/8-1/4 mile and drop afew bombs to alert oncoming riders of emminent danger ahead. The only downside is the lime won't last too long but probably long enough to get the bikes and quads through. The other thing is the riders need to know about the markers at the start. This was used in some early hare and hound races out here.

Dan, I notice you have a 650L in your stable. Isn't that the next best thing to a steamroller? Can't think of a better way to flatten the traps than that. :D

Only if I could attach one of these too it:

early_plow_4.jpg

Everyone go out and buy Orange or Bright Green vests...

Otherwise, how in the world is a focus'd racer going to know that a stopped rider... off the bike, on the bike, or with a sign (who doesn't have a sign these days) is a "good guy" and that he needs to pay attention, to that other rider.

Something alerting would have to be used. Something that doesn't require you to tell the entire bike/quad lineup. Something even the tunnel-visioned racer will know or say to himself; "Holy cow... whats that guy doing..? Oh, he must be trying to tell me to slow down or there's danger ahead!"

Maybe a couple of women performing :worthy::ride: ... okay, I know, poor attempt at humor. Plus, nobody knows enough women to line the course... let alone 20 booby traps. Oh wait... BoooooBy.... now, there's another idea! :D

I too think this would be great idea......just need to work out the particulars.......It could get dangerous if a rider got caught by one of those mobs......might be better to ride back 100'-200' and have a sign......:D

I agree, it would definitely be a legitimate concern of being lynched if you were to do something right at the trap. Maybe just going upstream 1/4 mi and out of harms way and unrolling something like an orange or lime colored (as mentioned above) piece of nylon or fabric that just says something simple like, "TRAP + 1/4 mi".

How many areas of traps is typical for a race of this length?

The inttl. symbol for slow down is hands and arms going from the up position to the down position...everyone who has raqced in baja has been warned to slow down...

If SNR or Robbie Bell see a guy in moto gear waving his hands up and down...he will probably back off a little...

It is freakin sad that we have to go through this discussion, but I'm glad were having it...

Most everyone has good points here..thanks for contributing...

For the Record: I would be the first to do sweep and not tell anyone about it (other than the field of leading bikes by way of arm waiving) but I will be handling the reporting side of the race from ensenada.

subject to change

Ballpark, how many traps do you think would be in that first 100 miles?

Just do it in a pro prep KX500

of505904s32ex.jpg