Bony Bankart, Surgery next month.

Hi Dr. Mark.

First, thanks for all the knowledge you've laid down on this board, and thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm having my shoulder fixed by a local guy. He's a sports guy in a Huge practice and I'm sure he sees many athletes and is up on several different techniques. I'd just like some tips on things I should be asking at my pre-op clearance, things like scope vs. open, metallic anchors vs. plastic, etc.. I want to get the same treatment that Tom Brady would get, not whatever the vendors in the O.R. are pushing that month. Ya know?

thanks

I want to get the same treatment that Tom Brady would get,..............

Funny you should say that. ESPN is reporting that Tom Brady has had to have 3 followup procedures on his knee after his ACL reconstruction. The follow ups were required because of infection in his knee. Doctors are now concerned that the infection may have damaged the graft and once the infection is cleared up he will need another acl reconstruction. Don't make medical decisions based on what the stars are doing and because doctors are affiliated with professional teams. It is amazing how many TT readers manage to pick the right Dr and how many famous athletes pick the wrong doctor. I believe it has to do with research, and feedback from satisfied patients who had successfull procedures. Results are what count, not fancy offices in big name cities, with the newest technology.

The problem with this industry today is that everyone gets whatever crap the vendors are bringing, ESPECIALLY the professional superstars. Thieir SUPERSTAR doctors all almost all on the payroll of some equiptment company. They get paid money for "research". Naturally, they do the research on the new, and unproven implants. Some work, and some don't, and then they publish papers on the ones that do, deep sixing the ones that don't.

A failure with the newest unproven implant or technique is still a failure.

At my hospitals, the nurses all say that I am "Old School" never using the latest gimmick. I was alway told to be two fads behind the pack. That is why I can consistantly deliver the goods for my patients. I don't rely on stuff that may or may not work.

The problem with this industry today is that everyone gets whatever crap the vendors are bringing, ESPECIALLY the professional superstars. Thieir SUPERSTAR doctors all almost all on the payroll of some equiptment company. They get paid money for "research". Naturally, they do the research on the new, and unproven implants. Some work, and some don't, and then they publish papers on the ones that do, deep sixing the ones that don't.

A failure with the newest unproven implant or technique is still a failure.

At my hospitals, the nurses all say that I am "Old School" never using the latest gimmick. I was alway told to be two fads behind the pack. That is why I can consistantly deliver the goods for my patients. I don't rely on stuff that may or may not work.

If I was an amazing surgeon, such as yourself Doc, it would bug me soo much that these other doctors are messing up all the time... I mean I would personally call Tom Brady and tell him to come see me....this would really get to me I think...drive me nutz....anyways glad I went to see Dr Mark..wish every Doctor had the know how....does hearing things like the Tom Brady situation get to you at all? just curious..

My CB is Great!!! now my right shoulder showing signs of rotator cuff age limit...I am going to not play raquet ball for a while...to give it a rest

Scotty J.