Handling problem soleved!!! yz250

Well, after endless hours of trying to figure out why my new to me 2001 yz250 felt like it was washing out in corners, i found the CURE!!!! I messed with the suspension setting, set the sag, etc etc but nothing helped. I am a bit heavy for the stock springs, so i thought that was the root of the cause.... but i also know from other bikes I've ridden and been too heavy for that the handling should not be this bad! :worthy:

So I re-evaluate everything.... body positioning is good, I'm well acclimated to the bike (>15 hours ride time), new tires, etc etc.

Then, just a hunch, but I start to think that the Guts tall/soft seat that came on the bike with might be throwing off the ergonomics enough to cause some handling woes....

HUNCH CORRECT:ride::ride::ride::ride::ride:

I picked up a stock seat off ebay for $20 just to give it a shot and WOW, what a differnce. This thing handles on rails now. Not like before where all confidence in the front end was gone, it FELT 100% better. The best handling I have ever experienced out of a bike! Im so stoked, I cant wait to get new springs and valving by Mx tech next season.... but i cant imagine it getting much better.

I dont know if the seat was throwing off the ergos or what, but Im so pleased i followed my hunch..... just thought Id share my happiness with you all! ?:ride::D:ride:?

They might be good for some bikes though.... I swear its like a night and day difference. My theory is that the tall seat raises the center of gravity just enough to make the bike handle like crap. It is significantly higher than the stocker too... I was quite surprised.

It is odd how somethign this small can make a huge difference. I hated the "SDG" brand of seats, but the cover and foam I bought from Gutz was top notch.

The 06, and newer, seats have about 15mm of extra foam in the middle. I bought a used 05 seat off of ebay and was a big difference. The higher seat took pressure off of my knees and the bike felt great...not so great with the 05 seat. Now that you mention handling, it might have felt better with the short seat. Lowering the subframe was a great mod as well. BUT, as they say, thats "FOR ME" Standby for a small and peaceful rant.

There is also a lot of little handling changes available in handlebars. Height is the obvious one. I found the "pullback" more important. I like the least I can get.

The older yz (96-98) have it made. The seat kept changing every year and you can use anything as new as a 2001 without any mods. The upper triple clamp kept moving the bars forward during this time also. If your willing to change the front numberplate and fender there are some nice options available. The cost of used upper clamps is almost nothing.

It is odd how somethign this small can make a huge difference. I hated the "SDG" brand of seats, but the cover and foam I bought from Gutz was top notch.

I felt the exact opposite. My Gutz foam and cover lasted one month. After just a few rides the seat cover wore through and the foam felt really really soft.

On the other hand my SDG seats have always lasted the time I've owned the bike and have stayed hard.. (the way I like them)

Maybe I got a lemon.. who knows?

The 06, and newer, seats have about 15mm of extra foam in the middle. I bought a used 05 seat off of ebay and was a big difference. The higher seat took pressure off of my knees and the bike felt great...not so great with the 05 seat. Now that you mention handling, it might have felt better with the short seat. Lowering the subframe was a great mod as well. BUT, as they say, thats "FOR ME" Standby for a small and peaceful rant.

There is also a lot of little handling changes available in handlebars. Height is the obvious one. I found the "pullback" more important. I like the least I can get.

The older yz (96-98) have it made. The seat kept changing every year and you can use anything as new as a 2001 without any mods. The upper triple clamp kept moving the bars forward during this time also. If your willing to change the front numberplate and fender there are some nice options available. The cost of used upper clamps is almost nothing.

Can you elaborate on the top clamp idea? Will the new top clams fit the 01?

Thanks

Damn I thought you had the answer but my bike has always had the stock seat. Thats the one thing I dont like about my bike, no confidence in the front end. Ive done a lot of experimenting with no luck. Mainly flat hardpack corners, my bike really needs something to turn against whether it be a burm or sand/loam etc. Maybe its because I used to have an XR250 (I have never ridden anything that can go around a corner like an XR250)

hmmm

maybe this maxxis SI is just really bad but the damn thing wont wear out.

I've gotten plenty of front end washout and the resulting crashes but I attribute this to my messed up suspension and a halfway gone Dunlop D952F. It's messed up because I'm too heavy and I think that tire is too worn. Soon to be fixed (suspension and tire). I'm hopeful it goes away after that.:D

I've gotten plenty of front end washout and the resulting crashes but I attribute this to my messed up suspension and a halfway gone Dunlop D952F. It's messed up because I'm too heavy and I think that tire is too worn. Soon to be fixed (suspension and tire). I'm hopeful it goes away after that.:D

weight schmeight, mate! haha! :ride::worthy:

Can you elaborate on the top clamp idea? Will the new top clams fit the 01?

Thanks

You could use the 02 or 03 front clamp on your bike. I dont know how much the bars went forward after 01.

You just about have to find the new model release info. It was somethign Yamaha mentioned a lot!

The point in switching would be to move the handlebars forward or rearward from their current location. The clamps sell for less than new bars and may accomplish more.

This could work but if you really really want to spend money, get the Pro Taper Accutrax. Insane adjust-ability. Very roomy and comfy control room now.

This could work but if you really really want to spend money, get the Pro Taper Accutrax. Insane adjust-ability. Very roomy and comfy control room now.

They don't make those for the 01'... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm gonna hold off and buy the new Easton bars...heard they are tits! :D