450R fork seals on an X?

So I discover (the day before we leave to the desert :D ) that I have a blown/leaky fork seal.

I run those neopreen (spelling?) "seal savers" and one was all wet. So I plan to do fork seals after this trip, and looking around the garage, I have 2 packages of fork seals with Honda part numbers on them. I looked the part numbers up via Google and I 'think' they're both for a 450R (anyone better at searching part numbers wanna look these up for me?)

51490-kz3-j31

51490-men-003

Anyhow, if these are indeed for a 450R how dumb am I to put them on my X?

I have PC suspension on my scoot, set up for 240lbs, and I am notorious for blowing out fork seals (a couple times a season) and I just can't afford to pay someone to do them for me that often. - guess I better learn how to do them myself, last time I had a buddy help me/do it for me wile I drank beer and it seemed like it was full blown rocket science!

What do you guys think? R seals on an X?

Another guy i ride with has an R and PC said they run X seals on the R. They are more pliable.

Its easy to do if you have the right tools.

Your x OWNER manual has the pics and info you need.

I will cross refrence those part numbers. Im pretty sure the seals are the same for both bikes as long as they both have 47MM tubes.

The part numbers you listed are the for the R.

51490-men-003 is the set of seals, and the other number is just the dust seal.

The x has different part numbers listed.

I looked up the 05 X and the 05 R outer tube and slide tube, they have different part numbers as well.

Thanks DD, I talked to Diane at PC and she said really the only differance between the R seals and the X seals are that the X seals have a double wiper, which makes them a little more durable.

What I took away from my conversation with her is that the R seals will simply blow out sooner then the X seals. There's a fine line between durability and performance and the R is more on the performance side with higher maintenance.

She also said if I'm doing seals 2x a year that I'm doing good, one of their 450X riders blows the seals out every time he rides! :D

I didn't know this but I guess they give discounts to guys that have had their stacks done by them... service both legs with parts incl. is about $150 and a 1 day turn around. That's not so bad I guess when the local sho charges $90 per leg.

Its too easy to service them yourself (once they have been re-valved by a Pro)

All you need parts wise is 2 sets of seals at 17$ each and 2 Quarts of Honda Fork oil at $7 each.

The satisfaction of doing them on your own, on your own time frame.... Priceless!!!

Thanks on the scoop about the different seals, I was wondering what the deal was with that.

After watching the following vids, I'll be atempting myself...

You do not need the oil level tool.

The Tusk Seal driver is good.

The Tusk Cap wrench is crap (get the Race Tech)

Race Tech Makes a nice rod Holder or you can use a 10mm wrench.

I dont use any grease to get the seals onto the slider just use a plastic bag and be gentle. (An OEM oil seal will have just a dab of grease on it allready)

The bottom nut is 21mm or 13/16ths.

Make sure you change the fluid in the upper chamber as well.

Thanks DD, I talked to Diane at PC and she said really the only differance between the R seals and the X seals are that the X seals have a double wiper, which makes them a little more durable.

What I took away from my conversation with her is that the R seals will simply blow out sooner then the X seals. There's a fine line between durability and performance and the R is more on the performance side with higher maintenance.

She also said if I'm doing seals 2x a year that I'm doing good, one of their 450X riders blows the seals out every time he rides! :ride:

I didn't know this but I guess they give discounts to guys that have had their stacks done by them... service both legs with parts incl. is about $150 and a 1 day turn around. That's not so bad I guess when the local sho charges $90 per leg.

I'm really paranoid about having anyone touch my suspension except PC in El Cajon or myself. I've gone through a half dozen seals and (knock on wood) none recently. I once rode for a couple thousand miles (including the Baja ride we did last year) with the rebound clickers full on because that's where a local guy left them when he replaced seals....I told him not to touch the clicker settings and made the mistake of not double checking after the work:bonk: :D:worthy: . How embarrassing:lol: :ride: :ride: :ride:

She also said if I'm doing seals 2x a year that I'm doing good, one of their 450X riders blows the seals out every time he rides! :worthy:

That's a really good deal. If you're from far away they'll do it while you wait if you call in advance.....same price. PC is a great outfit and Diane knows her stuff no doubt. I use the El Cajon shop and they've done right by me many times. My buddy, DesertKX500, prefers the Riverside location and they've done him right also. :D

That's a really good deal. If you're from far away they'll do it while you wait if you call in advance.....same price. PC is a great outfit and Diane knows her stuff no doubt. I use the El Cajon shop and they've done right by me many times. My buddy, DesertKX500, prefers the Riverside location and they've done him right also. :D

The El Cajon shop is good no doubt. I took my suspension in for a service and a fork re spring for my KX500 and they "forgot" to replace my springs and charged me. They made it right and fixed the problem after the 3HR drive home. With my X i took the suspenders in to Riverside and they were a class act all the way. :worthy:

I'm about 45 mins from the Riverside place... Before tehy moved, they were 10 mins away.

I may just try it myself next week though.