Sign in to follow this  

Power Commander ?

Do any of you have experience with this product and the new Husky specific maps? I am curious if there is any performance improvement over the oem power up kit that is properly tuned with i-beat?

Personally I found the PC to be a breath of fresh air. Totally plug & play. Though I didn't care for the built-in map which was unusable on my 450. I turned around after 1 mile of sputtering, zeroed it out and just used the PC software to fill in the air-fuel holes.

It really helps if you have an O2 lambda set up to go into the pipe bung to give you confirmation of mixture. Then you can do some slow roll-ons and get a reading of where the mixture problems are. Then make a map where it is all pretty much flat. Then add in the acceleration pump parameters, and make some additional maps with particular features; i.e. high/low torque, or high economy etc. The LCD Unit and an SD card is money well spent if you want to try different maps while out on a ride.

Personally I found the PC to be a breath of fresh air. Totally plug & play. Though I didn't care for the built-in map which was unusable on my 450. I turned around after 1 mile of sputtering, zeroed it out and just used the PC software to fill in the air-fuel holes.

It really helps if you have an O2 lambda set up to go into the pipe bung to give you confirmation of mixture. Then you can do some slow roll-ons and get a reading of where the mixture problems are. Then make a map where it is all pretty much flat. Then add in the acceleration pump parameters, and make some additional maps with particular features; i.e. high/low torque, or high economy etc. The LCD Unit and an SD card is money well spent if you want to try different maps while out on a ride.

Glad to hear you got your bike sorted. I believe you were having some serious issues with the oem set up. How does your bike run now? And have you had a chance to compare it to other TE 450's?

I dont know of any dealers here in so cal with the i-beat system,and most don't want to mess with it.What happened to the good old days when you could just unplug a chip from the computer and put in a hi perf. one ?:D

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got your bike sorted. I believe you were having some serious issues with the oem set up. How does your bike run now? And have you had a chance to compare it to other TE 450's?

I guess I had high expectations on the new four strokes. With the PC it doesn't have any issues, but I feel it is a bit sluggish in comparison to the two stroke. The only way to run it properly is uncorked, and that is a bit too loud, for me, since I like to relax a bit while riding and the four stroke thump just gives me a headache. However with the PC, and a map which fills in the lean spots, and a decent accelerator pump setting, the power is good.

Asternad, I don't use the stock lambda on the bike. The bike is set up like the power up kit, except instead of a bung plug, I use a narrow band lambda meter to get some readout.

All that being said, I bought a Kymco 125 scooter last weekend. Ha ha! What fun.

I dont know of any dealers here in so cal with the i-beat system,and most don't want to mess with it.What happened to the good old days when you could just unplug a chip from the computer and put in a hi perf. one ?:D

Those were actually the bad old days. You were stuck with what you got, at the same expensive price. Chips were super lame. FBF was famous for selling chips for Ducatis, and they were always off. It was like being let out of prison when PC's became available( not that I know the prison-release thing lol).

Early PC's were sensor-offset technology, basically modifying the TPS signal. For example if you were at 50% throttle, the PC would tell the computer that the throttle was at 47% (richening) or 53% (leaning) or whatever % you chose. It was flawed but a step in the right direction. Modern PCIII usb's actually modify the pulsewidth, or dutycycle, of the injector itself, and is perfectly accurate if you have an air/fuel meter, and a dyno with an eddycurrent brake capable of keeping the bike at a steady RPM at all throttle RPM's. Guessing at the map values can make the bike run better, but is hardly better than changing jets. It's a guessing game if you don't have the equipment.

I guess I had high expectations on the new four strokes. With the PC it doesn't have any issues, but I feel it is a bit sluggish in comparison to the two stroke. The only way to run it properly is uncorked, and that is a bit too loud, for me, since I like to relax a bit while riding and the four stroke thump just gives me a headache. However with the PC, and a map which fills in the lean spots, and a decent accelerator pump setting, the power is good.

Asternad, I don't use the stock lambda on the bike. The bike is set up like the power up kit, except instead of a bung plug, I use a narrow band lambda meter to get some readout.

All that being said, I bought a Kymco 125 scooter last weekend. Ha ha! What fun.

get your dealer to upload the later series software into the Mikuni ECU, you`ll be very happy & probably zero out the pc, unless you still wanna run Closed Loop

get your dealer to upload the later series software into the Mikuni ECU, you`ll be very happy & probably zero out the pc, unless you still wanna run Closed Loop

I'd forgotten about that. What's up with the new software upgrade? I heard rumor that my bajillion dollar iBEAT kit cable won't work for it.

I'd forgotten about that. What's up with the new software upgrade? I heard rumor that my bajillion dollar iBEAT kit cable won't work for it.

nor will it work for the upcoming race specs :D

i know there are non-believers, but i did say the new version was worth waiting for - & it cranks, the next lot will be terrific.

Nothing wrong with what you`ve got though Norman, as you know the pc is top stuff, get ya mods finalised, trim to suit & set-forget.

I`m doing nothing more than trimming & playing with add on controllers occassionaly until 2010:worthy::ride:

Forgot to add - TE510 120kms from a tank of gas, pu kit & normal pu settings

nor will it work for the upcoming race specs :worthy:

i know there are non-believers, but i did say the new version was worth waiting for - & it cranks, the next lot will be terrific.

Nothing wrong with what you`ve got though Norman, as you know the pc is top stuff, get ya mods finalised, trim to suit & set-forget.

I`m doing nothing more than trimming & playing with add on controllers occassionaly until 2010:ride: :ride:

Forgot to add - TE510 120kms from a tank of gas, pu kit & normal pu settings

This is interesting! Could you please give us some more detail about the new maps. Sounds like you are up to date on this.:D