Sign in to follow this  

How to keep your fork seals from blowing out

On the tail of my other post re: 450R seals on the X, I'd like to hear some suggestions on how one would prolong the life of their fork seals. Here's what I do, but not to much success, I'm constantly blowing these things out.

1, Seal Savers

2, Careful when washing the bike

3, wipe off all water spots on the fork lowers (I heard hard water spots can damage the seals after a wile)

4, Those deals that go between your tire and front fender when transporting the bike. (Oh how I hate them!!!)

5, have the suspension done correctly for your weight and riding style

6, them 'Fork Buddy" thingies that you slide between your seal and fork to clear out the crud (dunnow how well those work)

Any other ideas/tips? :D

All good, Chris. Might air bleed them more frequently. I use a little WD40 on a soft cloth to get the water spots off. Seems to help. The guy that does my suspension uses X seals on the R though and X seals on the X:excuseme:

One thing that Diane at PC told me was if you live in an area that has hard water make sure that you don't let water spot on the chrome. It's a pia to remove the guards but it's woth it.

All good, Chris. Might air bleed them more frequently. I use a little WD40 on a soft cloth to get the water spots off. Seems to help. The guy that does my suspension uses X seals on the R though and X seals on the X:excuseme:

What up Coob, Yeah, I know about the X seals on the R, I have a set of X seals on my kids 250R... It just happens that I have a set of R seals (like I said, I think they're R seals) and wanted to save some money by useing them... especially sense I blow the damn things out all the time anyhow.

So,.. Wheelie much? :D

Im not down with those seal savers, I think they are not needed, and furthermore I feel thay can be a detriment.

Small nicks on the slide tube is what kills seals.

The Dust seal does a damn fine job of keeping the oil seal protected from dirt and dust.

One thing that Diane at PC told me was if you live in an area that has hard water make sure that you don't let water spot on the chrome. It's a pia to remove the guards but it's woth it.

I have heard the same thing.

Keep the front wheel installed correctly. If not done per the procedure in the manual it can cause a bind in the forks and contribute to leaking.

From what I have seen, front wheel misalignment and nicks on the backsides of the fork tubes seem to be the most common cause of leaking seals on the 450R. Out here in the dez we have all gone to using the little stubby sealsavers, and it seems to be working well for everyone that has gone this route. Also, check the fork tubes after every ride to make sure that there are no nicks in the fork tubes. If you find nicks, use a very, very fine sandpaper to knock down the burrs.

I recently had a fork seal leaking on my cr250. So much so that it left a small puddle on the floor. I did the feeler gauge fix. Insert a small feeler (I used a .005 size) up into the seal. Holding it flat against the slider tube then rotating it all the way around the seal. Pulling it out frequently, wiping off the crud until it comes out clean. Shazzam! No more leak. This will work if the seal has not been damaged. Sure beats a fork tear down to replace the seal.

But that small puddle on the floor means your fluid level is not correct, or matching the other side.

Neither thing is good.

Yea you are right. If I were younger or a pro I would be worried. I just go slow. No giant woops, big airs, or high speed washes. Go slow and come back to ride another day!

Keep the front wheel installed correctly. If not done per the procedure in the manual it can cause a bind in the forks and contribute to leaking.

I blew out my seals by not aligning my forks properly. I took the fork legs off installed the Pivot Works fork kit,new seal savers and made sure that my forks were not binding. No more oil puddles ever since:ride: .