Broke oil filter bolt

Today I was changing my engine oil and transmission oil. I took off the oil filter, put a new one in and when I was torqueing the bolts back on the oil filter cover to 9ft lbs torque the long 1 snapped. I pulled the bolt out and the piece that was threaded in is stuck in there. I have no idea what to do please help.

Dude if you're lucky the piece thats left in there may not be stuck, often when bolts break they leave a ridge and it can sometimes be enough to try pushing a screw driver or sometimes long nose pliers against it and slowly winding it out.

I work as a cycle mechanic & people bring bikes in all the time with broken bolts & this works quite often.

If not an easy out is probably the only way but i would take it to someone who has experiece with them rather than buying one & trying yourself.

People may disagree but i would suggest ditching the torque except for internal engine parts as i've also seen quite a few bolts broken by them at the recommended torque settings.

Good luck

id be willing to bet if you take the ignition cover off, the broken piece of bolt will be sticking out of the threaded hole in the crankcase and you will simply be able to unscrew it with you're finger. Those bolts seem to have a weakness in the thread as ive seen it on a 2 friends bikes, 1 crf450 and a 250f :D

Dude if you're lucky the piece thats left in there may not be stuck, often when bolts break they leave a ridge and it can sometimes be enough to try pushing a screw driver or sometimes long nose pliers against it and slowly winding it out.

I work as a cycle mechanic & people bring bikes in all the time with broken bolts & this works quite often.

If not an easy out is probably the only way but i would take it to someone who has experiece with them rather than buying one & trying yourself.

People may disagree but i would suggest ditching the torque except for internal engine parts as i've also seen quite a few bolts broken by them at the recommended torque settings.

Good luck

The main problem is people buy a budget torque wrench which 9x outa 10 are way off the mark...I work in a b/shop,spent $$$$ on a wrench & have NEVER broken a bolt when using it...:D

Its happened to me and many others with the oil filter cover bolts. I was using a torque wrench and the longer one snapped. I am always very carefull and couldn't believe it happened. I took the left cover (ignition cover?) off and was able to unscrew the remaing portion of the bolt out with my finger. You will need a new bolt and a new gasket for the cover. No problem, hardest part is getting all the old gasket material off.

id be willing to bet if you take the ignition cover off, the broken piece of bolt will be sticking out of the threaded hole in the crankcase and you will simply be able to unscrew it with you're finger. Those bolts seem to have a weakness in the thread as ive seen it on a 2 friends bikes, 1 crf450 and a 250f :D

Yes, just remove the cover and you'll be able to screw the broken part out.

BTW, there's no need to use a torque wrench on those. Use a nut driver if you don't have a feel for tightening bolts.

Been there, done that. I just took it to the dealer because my bike was brand new. I was using a torque wrench when I snapped it BTW.

Thanks guys. I took the ignition cover off today and the piece that broke off is right there and visible but can't get it out yet so I'm going to borrow a buddy's screw extractor to get it out. I went to loudoun motorsports and ordered the new bolt and the new gasket for the cover for about 15 bucks total. It should be here next week. Wish me luck on extracting the rest of that bolt though. Oh yeah and I've been using a razor blade to get that gasket off and man is it a PITA!

Alright got the piece out. Turned out I didn't need to drill it out. Just drill into it to make a little hole so the needle noses had something to grab on, worked perfect. now I have to wait for the new bolt and gasket :D thanks everybody for the help.

Next time just be careful and just snug the bolts.

Alright got the piece out. Turned out I didn't need to drill it out. Just drill into it to make a little hole so the needle noses had something to grab on, worked perfect. now I have to wait for the new bolt and gasket :D thanks everybody for the help.

Good job:thumbsup: , the bolt very rarely breaks because it seizes in the case thread. the thread on the bolt just seem to be weak. Hence it can nearly always be screwd out of you can get am edge to turn it.

Same thing happened to me last night, I was able to put a screwdriver in there and get bite on the broken end so I could back it out, best of luck!

NEVER, NEVER use a torque wrench on 6mm bolts. If you have no touch and must use one, by an expensive one that reads in inch-pounds, 1/4 drive. It'll pay for itself the 1st time you (don't) break or strip a bolt.

BTW buckwheat, what does your bike being new have to do with you breaking a bolt and bringing it to a dealer? Tell me you didn't whine your way into them paying for your mistake?!!!!!

kinda changing the topic a little....i got the crafts man 1/2 drive torque.....like $80 or $90 (i forget).....is this considered a good one?

I like them, but it is most accurate above 25 ft lbs. I have one also. I have a 3/8 one for sensitive 8mm bolts below that. And I prefer "the touch" for anything in a 6, 5, 4mm stud.

You might have just saved me haha I have a race on Sunday and would have been screwed if I had to order a new gasket and everything but I managed to get the piece out with a screw driver.