Sign in to follow this  

XR400 CDI on a XR650L...will it work?

i need a new CDI unit, and cant find one anywhere (ebay, advrider, 4strokes, here...) I read a few topics that involved ignitech cdi modules and megajolt cdi modules, but they seem a little bit complicated.

I ran across a thread stating that a CDI from a XR400 would work in the XR650R, but will it work in the XR650L too?

All i know is i need a new CDI because mine is toast. any suggestions or does anyone have one for sale that i dont know about?? Thanks

i need a new CDI unit, and cant find one anywhere (ebay, advrider, 4strokes, here...) I read a few topics that involved ignitech cdi modules and megajolt cdi modules, but they seem a little bit complicated.

I ran across a thread stating that a CDI from a XR400 would work in the XR650R, but will it work in the XR650L too?

All i know is i need a new CDI because mine is toast. any suggestions or does anyone have one for sale that i dont know about?? Thanks

Check Chaparral, that's where I got mine.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/edealership.asp?mscssid=2AE7A12A70E14A1484EA1D5FF4949E6D&Gift=false&GiftID=

The 650L CDI is different than all the other XR or XL CDI boxes. The 650L CDI generates the high voltage for the ignition coil from 12 volts DC. All the others use a high voltage winding on the stator. Sorry, but you need to find a 650L CDI.

there is another thread on advrider that a guy posted, and he says that he used a CDI from a late 80's NX650 because it allows for greater voltages because of the lower emissions back then. He also said that it directly plugs into the harness....it kind of sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but i would like to find one that for sure works on my bike and is not expensive....guess i'm a poor guy with a skinny wallet:smirk:

there is another thread on advrider that a guy posted, and he says that he used a CDI from a late 80's NX650 because it allows for greater voltages because of the lower emissions back then. He also said that it directly plugs into the harness....it kind of sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but i would like to find one that for sure works on my bike and is not expensive....guess i'm a poor guy with a skinny wallet:smirk:

There has been some talk that the NX/Dominator CDI will work on the 650L with good results. Apparently the advance curve is a little sharper than the 650L.

As said, the 650L CDI runs off of DC. Unlike the 650R, 400R, 600R which are all on AC at about 100-450 Hz.

It can be done with an inverter, but I don't remember anyone doing it to any extent on an L.

I replaced the CDI on my NX650 earlier this year. I checked the part #'s, the NX650 CDI and the XR650L CDI do have different part #'s

I replaced the CDI on my NX650 earlier this year. I checked the part #'s, the NX650 CDI and the XR650L CDI do have different part #'s

Yes they do. They run from the same DC voltage but have different timing curves.

Thus a different part number.

I think....

:D

so with a sharper curve from a NX650, what exactly does that mean? does it allow the bike to run higher rpm's or what? i have no clue what that means... just curious thats all. :worthy:

BTW i bought a stock CDI from service honda last night. $102 plus $9 for shipping. a hefty price to pay, but i have to have it. :D