XR250r fork revalve

I have a set of 1997 XR250R forks that I want to relieve about 20% of the high speed damping. I know you can remove one or two washers but which ones off the base valve ?

Thanks,

Dwight

Don't know ...

But X/R's Only in Cali. would.

Look them up and give them a call

uhhh..... is Dwight Rudder asking an XR250 question?:D

It has been a while. I am building a CRF230 with XR250R forks. I AM BACK ON HONDAS. I have been riding the past couple months on a 1987 XR200R and have been going better on it than my KTM. So I have decided to modifiy the crap out of a CRF230F and make it a CXR250F . Should be fun.

Dwight

why not just start with an xr250? what advantages does starting with the crf230 offer?

why not just start with an xr250? what advantages does starting with the crf230 offer?

Besides Estart ? Which I really don't care about. Slightly smaller in stature. They still make CRF230F so parts will not be a problem . The challenge of makeing something good out of a so called playbike. I wanted something as close to a "updated" XR200R as I could get. I also think I can get it slightly lighter than a XR250R. The XR250R has a weak / high wear clutch although I managed to get mine to survive with much modifications. I guess mainly for the fun factor and challenge. I have also like the physically smaller sized bikes . I still love the XR250 and wish Honda had updated the clutch to a XR400 type and made it a full 300cc. Now that is something that would sell. Personally I wouldn't care if it had a Estart or not.

Stay tuned to the CRF230 forum and offroad forum for updates. My goal is to have it ready to race by the Tri Sanction Challenge Hare Scrambles in Maplesville, Al , Jan 2009.

Dwight :p:lol: :lol:

Dwight,

That is too cool!!!!

I recently got another Honda. XR400 this time. Just for plonking around on. Love it.

Good luck, and please keep us updated. Maybe some pics?

I often look at this article and wonder why Honda doesn't have

something like this setting in the showroom floor.

I am not saying this will be an everymans bike. But if you are tired of radiators and short lived high RPM high maintaince 4 strokes then this might be the ticket. This will be for guys who love long stroke , lower RPM bikes with tons of torque.

I want this to be a true sleeper bike.

Dwight

hey dwight, did you ever figure out what shims to remove? i have one xr250 with the race tech thing and 2.5 wt oil and another xr250 with the stock forks. i was thinking of removing some shims and changing the oil in the stock bike and comparing it to the bike with the race tech stuff.

have you ever thought of running the xr650 forks? they seem to be the most up to date and nicest conventional forks that honda ever made. i have never heard of anyone running these forks on an xr250/xr400. whats your thoughts on this idea?

I'm not sure about the shims on the 250 forks but when I removed shims from the base valve on my XR400 they were all the same size. So it really didn't matter which ones. Have you already taken things apart? If not, you might check as they may all be the same too.

I'm not sure about the shims on the 250 forks but when I removed shims from the base valve on my XR400 they were all the same size. So it really didn't matter which ones. Have you already taken things apart? If not, you might check as they may all be the same too.

yes, i have taken a set apart before, and i have a set of the 250 valves sitting in my garage so i will check out today. i think you are right though, its been a long time since i looked at them.

hey dwight, did you ever figure out what shims to remove? i have one xr250 with the race tech thing and 2.5 wt oil and another xr250 with the stock forks. i was thinking of removing some shims and changing the oil in the stock bike and comparing it to the bike with the race tech stuff.

have you ever thought of running the xr650 forks? they seem to be the most up to date and nicest conventional forks that honda ever made. i have never heard of anyone running these forks on an xr250/xr400. whats your thoughts on this idea?

I believe XR650 forks are too long and big for my application.

Dwight

The perfect fork for the xr 250 is the xr400 fork.No amount of work will make the 250 forks good even with gold valves.The 400 fork is a easy fix for the xr250 we are running them on 5 250s

fork.No amount of work will make the 250 forks good even with gold valves.

I have to take issue with this. I maintain an XR280 for a friend that doesn't like to wrench. The stock forks and shock have been revalved/resprung by W.E.R. with fork extenders added to the forks. The bike handles terrific under any circumstance, any terrain. Sure, there are modern bikes that do better, but the little XR surprises plenty of good riders on newer equipment.

Hey Creeky dont take issue with this Im running 20 bikes in baja the best bikes are xr300s and our xr440s with mods.The 250 forks are too wimmpy.We have put over 700.00 bucks in the 250 forks.The 400 forks with mods are the best trail fork we have ever used.We have WRs-KtMs.CR hondas.For the long rides we do here the xr400 forks dont beat you to death.And yes we used the fork brace on the 250 fork also.If ever you want to try a set.Let me know it is a easy fix.We use the bikes for hard core trail riding,not road riding.

Hey Creeky dont take issue with this ......The 400 forks with mods are the best trail fork we have ever used..

I'm sure that you have done your homework and are using what works best for your situation. I just wanted to throw out the fact that it is possible to make a decent trail bike out of the XR 250 by modifying the stock suspension. I have tried WP USDs on an XR250, but not the XR400 forks. I have a good set of revalved XR400 forks in the shed, but since I'm not riding XRs any longer, I guess I'll never know. :bonk:

yes, i have taken a set apart before, and i have a set of the 250 valves sitting in my garage so i will check out today. i think you are right though, its been a long time since i looked at them.

if anyone was interested, all the shims on the 250 are of the same size. i think i am going to take out 3 of them and run 2.5 wt oil at max height and see how that goes.

Hey Creeky want to sell the 400 frorks.We where using usd forks on xrs 20 years ago took them all off.No good for trail riding out here.Even the late Wrs and KtM forks beat you here compared to the xr fork.You can go faster with the usd fork but it is beating you all the way.Then after 5 days riding the xr is the winner.

I have a friend who is looking for a set of XR250R 1996 up forks. We are putting them on a CRF230F.

Dwight