Help with chain replacement

Talk about feeling dumb! I'ved changed at least 20 chains but finally met my match. I've got a new gold O-ring chain and the retainer clip for the master link is so tight (due to the o-rings thickness) I have trouble squeezing the front and rear plates enough to get it all seated.

Any tips from other frustrated, er experienced, members?

Thanks

Dean

Motion Pro tool...is like $10 or so. Make it easy...

Press.jpg

Talk about feeling dumb! I'ved changed at least 20 chains but finally met my match. I've got a new gold O-ring chain and the retainer clip for the master link is so tight (due to the o-rings thickness) I have trouble squeezing the front and rear plates enough to get it all seated.

Any tips from other frustrated, er experienced, members?

Thanks

Dean

A lot of new chains are a compression fit, not like the old ones. Used to be able to just use pliers to squeeze the master together. Most chains now you must use some sort of compression tool like Sundog posted. If the master is not together enough you'll never get the clip on.

or buy a rivet link and a riveting tool set and never have to worry about your clip falling off. the riveting set will come with the proper link press.

Thanks Sundog - gotta get me one of those. Managed to make do for today with my chain-breaker tool. Pressed the pins from the backside ever so slightly to give me just enough clearance to get the clip on. Way harder than it should have been. Thanks for the help.