2 stroke shifting

What is it that people ride two strokes and it sounds like it's one gear. I don't think I do....I'm not sure but it just sounds like it's constantly beating and beating in one gear.

because you click up throught the gears without letting off most of the time

because you click up throught the gears without letting off most of the time
Absolutely, I never let up on the KX250 when I'm accelerating down a straight. You should always be either on the throttle or on the brakes, never coasting. I also ride my 250F like that. Full-power upshifts, with just a slight tap of the clutch lever to ease the shift into the next gear. The KX will shift under full throttle with no clutch, the YZ250F wants slight pressure on the clutch lever to do it.

I just use my index and middle finger to shift and pull it until I hit my other fingers, sometimes less. When Im standing, I notice myself only using my index finger for some reason...

This is my first 2T, its ok to just shift w/o clutch? Seems destructive to gears in my opinion.

I take it you guys are talking about MX riding or drag races? In the woods that's perhaps not how it will work best. At least in the tight woods.

I just use my index and middle finger to shift and pull it until I hit my other fingers, sometimes less. When Im standing, I notice myself only using my index finger for some reason...

This is my first 2T, its ok to just shift w/o clutch? Seems destructive to gears in my opinion.

I have both a KX and KDX.........the KDX does not really shift that smooth (At least not mine) without the clutch so I pull it in slightly with my middle finger. My KX........no problem........I just blip the throttle slightly to shift when I'm ripping down a straight a way. In the woods, and going slower, I still use the clutch on the KX.

It won't hurt a thing. The gears in the tranny are always engaged to each other. The only thing you are doing when you shift is engaging/disengaging the dog rings. These are racing machines, they are designed to be shifted clutchless at full power. Sometimes you will get a bike that is reluctant to shift under power due to production variences, but a dissassembly and careful polishing of the shift drum tracks, shift forks, etc. is usually all it takes to make the tranny shift like it was intended. My KX 250 shifted slightly stiff under power when new. After I went through the tranny and made sure everything was perfect, it shifts smooth as silk under full-throttle clutchless shifts. My YZ250F is a reluctant shifter at high revs without the clutch, but as I hardly ever ride it, I haven't bothered to split the cases and fix it.

Useful info! Thanks, I never knew that.:D

One complaint though, not all 2Ts are race bikes. I/E KDX, what about those?

Useful info! Thanks, I never knew that.:D

One complaint though, not all 2Ts are race bikes. I/E KDX, what about those?

The KDX is based on an older-generation KX125 engine.

All modern Japanese and European motorcycles use the same type of tranny. You aren't going to hurt them by shifting clutchless. Nor are you going to hurt them by shifting at full throttle. But that doesn't mean that all bikes will easily shift clutchless at full throttle. Some bikes just won't do it.

Even street bikes will shift without the clutch, but the absolute traction of pavement does produce more shock to the tranny than does dirt. I don't advise clutchless shifting on pavement.

Oh ok, sweet. I guess ill try it out tomorrow. Going riding @ 8 a.m.:D

(First time on a real trail system since getting the KDX:D )

I used to upshift my 24' truck w/o using the clutch. :D

word. I had it today...pretty sweet. Even worse though...I left my plug in my silencer after I washed my bike, and I have a hole in the header...and I started the bike with the plug in so the only way for the exhaust to get out is the hole in the header...and I started it...****....loud? It was probably louder then a 500...hurt my ears.