Sign in to follow this  

2009 suspension, are you kidding me PART 2

Well, since my original post, “09 suspension, are you kidding me” I have updated my bike in a few areas. Mt original impression was not received well by many on this forum. It seems many wanted to believe the hype, even though they hadn’t even ridden one. Many said, “break it in” or, “you must be slow”. I even was told “sell it and change colors”! Well, I know what I know, and it seems now that many, including the guy who told me to change colors, are agreeing. The stock suspension is harsh, soft, headshake, ECT….Turns out I was correct in my initial impression. I accept you apologies.

Now for the good news. In between the forks and shock is an amazing motorcycle. So amazing, it is hard to describe. I have read other threads with guys on the fence. I don’t blame you. But if you are looking for a reason to get one, listen up. I sent out my suspension to have a complete re-valve. No springs need for me as I weigh 175. I have to say it took a couple times before they hit the sweet spot. But when they did, wow, it was unbelievable. The entire bike became magical. Turning has never been so easy, ever! NO headshake anymore. No harshness. Just flat out ride ability. This thing is sooo bitchen. Please remember, I was not a happy camper when I first rode it, even after a good break in.

Next, I put on a 49 tooth rear, good move. It is a little more jerky, but in a good way. To top it off, I plan on running the MRD exhaust as soon as this weekend I hope. The bike does seem to flatten out on top, this pie should cure that.

So in conclusion, I felt it would only be fair to start a new thread complimenting the new 09 after I seemed to ruffle so many feathers. Most people who are serious get a re-valve anyway, so don’t let the stock stuff scare you away. This bike flat out rocks. So much so I almost don’t want to share this info with anybody, I want it all to myself.

It doesnt matter what kind of bike u ride, if u want it to be perfect and for u, then a revalve is a must! My 09 seems to be good for now, i sped up the rebound on the forks and i dont get any headshake, maybe i will revalve it later but its cool for now, and yes this bike is amazing!

DEGBTI, who did you have revalve your suspension? Any details on what they did each time you sent it back?

I too went to a 49 tooth rear sprocket and like it better.

You describe the bike exactly right - "In between the forks and shock is an amazing motorcycle"

DEGBTI, who did you have revalve your suspension? Any details on what they did each time you sent it back?

ditto, i want to know also. they must be on there game if they got the 09s figured out. if you dont want to reveal the company in this thread, can you please pm me with the info? :D

who did the revalve. I want to get an 09, but I will wait till after the holiday rush is over, I want to pay no more the 7k not 10k, like berts in so cal is asking. Who did the revalve, I weight the same as you. You said it took a few times, but did you have to send it back, what are your settings you are running (clicks), I cant wait for the 450 shootouts in the mags to come out, some people dont like MXaction, but they do tell the truth.

My friend, MXA is like Star magazine. Those guys haven't got a clue.

None of them do....they shamelessly promote the aftermarket, but I guess that's who pays their bills.

of course you just needed to get it valved for you --( what was i telling you from the get go, i have been correcting these for guys for a month now )

i have many happy guys i work with on their new 09 450's and they jusy love the bike now .

its no different than any other bike .

except the bike itself is just better all around .

wait till you get the motor to really work and get the fuel mapping corrected and leaned out abit.

this new honds is really good !!

yep just like you and aggiemoto99 are saying ---------these guys are not in the game at all, ----and really do not understand what the hell they are talking about :D:worthy:

I too went to a 49 tooth rear sprocket and like it better.

You describe the bike exactly right - "In between the forks and shock is an amazing motorcycle"

if you really want the thing to pull , leave the stock rear sprocket on and add a 14 tooth up ft .

the taller gearing really works nice on these .

i have been running this since 04 , and it really works well .

you would not believe the hole shots with 2nd gear starts you get with this gearing.

it will make you faster ---------i know it does not sound right , ----but it really works .:D

if you really want the thing to pull , leave the stock rear sprocket on and add a 14 tooth up ft .

you would not believe the hole shots with 2nd gear starts you get with this gearing.

it will make you faster ---------i know it does not sound right , ----but it really works .:D

funny, I was thinking very hard about going to taller gearing too. But a 14 tooth? thats not too much? I am not 100% sure about the 49 I put on only cause it did wake it up some which is fine, but once I put on the MDR exhaust I may wish I left it stock or maybe your direction???

I think on the current 450's that just make sooo much power, making the gearing taller is great idea too, I mean it allows the bike to really meter it out in a controlled fashion, less shifting etc... It's not like they can't pull it!

I hadn't thought about going that route, but I must admit I think Im going to try it next time.

and going to a 14 up front instead of 13 is around a 3 tooth change in the rear....so It's a big change.

49/13 = 3.76

49/14 = 3.5

46/13 = 3.53

there you have it:ride:

I think on the current 450's that just make sooo much power, making the gearing taller is great idea too, I mean it allows the bike to really meter it out in a controlled fashion, less shifting etc... It's not like they can't pull it!

I hadn't thought about going that route, but I must admit I think Im going to try it next time.

and going to a 14 up front instead of 13 is around a 3 tooth change in the rear....so It's a big change.

49/13 = 3.76

49/14 = 3.5

46/13 = 3.53

there you have it:ride:

aggiemoto is right on the money , ----these 450's can really meter out the power when geared taller.

we were testing at ACP and found it elemanated 11 shifts per lap , -----made the thing a 2 speed most of the time ,--2,3rd and sometimes 4th

and if you nut up and just cary more momentum in the corners the thing just becomes dam smooth and fun.

the dam 450 will just pull forever in 3rd and 4th

you get to use all that torque rather than just blow by the torque and miss it all,

and it has a different affect and lever on the shock and rear motion ratio so it is easier and less harsh in the chop

the 14-48 is really nice .

some guys are running 14-46

anyone run the forks higher in the clamps? i raised them a little, but there's no line. wasn't sure if you were supposed to?

anyone run the forks higher in the clamps? i raised them a little, but there's no line. wasn't sure if you were supposed to?

The owner's manual says the forks are not adjustable.

Yes, I have raised them a small amount.

figures i'd screw up an easy one. raising my forks a bit didn't work! thanks guys.