Sign in to follow this  

eliminating the starter

What does it take? I suppose you can just somehow plug the hole after you remove the starter..?

What if I want to modify the crank case and use the K magneto cover, is there any internal work that needs to be done?

you can remove the starter clutch and the start and plug hole.

in order to use the cover from a kicker,you need the kicker stator and crankshaft.

not easy swap.

you can remove the starter clutch and the start and plug hole.

in order to use the cover from a kicker,you need the kicker stator and crankshaft.

not easy swap.

Thanks Eddie. I think I'll go ahead and machine an aluminum cover to plug the hole.

It's probably a better idea anyway. Especially if I ever decide to sell that bike - it would be good to keep the e-start option.

I'll trade you for the kicker motor I just put in my "E".:D

Did you buy the K bottom end that had been sitting on eBay for a while?

Thanks Eddie. I think I'll go ahead and machine an aluminum cover to plug the hole.

It's probably a better idea anyway. Especially if I ever decide to sell that bike - it would be good to keep the e-start option.

I used an aluminum flash relay to plug the starter hole. It was a perfect fit! http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-wrangler-yj/jeep-parts/flash-relay-jeep-5452266.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a soft plug that will fit? Also known as a freeze plug, or core plug. Available at any auto parts store.

Did you buy the K bottom end that had been sitting on eBay for a while?

No, I bought a complete motor locally from a guy that parted a whole kicker bike out and robbed the good parts for his SM (cams, wheels, carb, etc.).