Sign in to follow this  

Motorhome Problems

1984 - 26ft Class A GM Motorhome.

I am having electrical issues with my motorhome. It seems that I can not get any of my electrical items to run off battery power except for the water pump. None of the lights work, the fan does not work, nothing. Even when the motorhome is running nothing works except for the pump. When I have the camper plugged in, everyhting works just fine. I have checked the fuses that I can find and they all seem to be OK. I really dont know what else to check. Can anyone give some suggestions on where to start?

PS - The batteries are charged.

1984 - 26ft Class A GM Motorhome.

I am having electrical issues with my motorhome. It seems that I can not get any of my electrical items to run off battery power except for the water pump. None of the lights work, the fan does not work, nothing. Even when the motorhome is running nothing works except for the pump. When I have the camper plugged in, everyhting works just fine. I have checked the fuses that I can find and they all seem to be OK. I really dont know what else to check. Can anyone give some suggestions on where to start?

PS - The batteries are charged.

Most units have a cutout that keeps the interior items from drawing power if the batteries are below a certain voltage-I have seen them go bad and think that the power is low, when it's not.

Start at the battery's and work downstream with a voltage tester and find out where the juice isn't.

CH - If I'm not mistaken, the part you are talking about is basically a battery shut off....if it was in fact a problem there, I don't think the water pump would work.....it kills all power to everything in the RV portion of the MH.

What about fuses? Or how about the main breaker that distributes power?

He stated that nothing comes on when the motorhome is running.....if the batteries are dead, he wouldn't get enough trickle charge from the coach (is that the term.....truck part of the MH) to power anything.

Has he tried with the generator running? Can he even get it started? I would plug into shore power first and make sure the electrical panel is distributing power properly first. If its plugged in and he still doesn't get power, then you have isolated it to the RV Fuse block....if you get power, you have narrowed it down to the batteries/cables/sut-off switch.... then charge the RV batteries and try to start the generator.

just my $.02

Thank you fro the suggestions.

I will take a look at the batteries, cables and shutoff switch.

When I am plugged into my generator everything works great, same with when I am plugged into shore power. The problem is only when I try to run off battery power. I will check the shutoff switch if I can find it, but I am not sure that that would be the problem as the water pump is still running off the batteries.

Thanx for the help.