Trade 450 for 250

I have a 03 YZ450F that I consider to trade or sell and get a 03-06 YZ250.

I ride mostly trail and some dirt roads.

Would I be better of with the 450 or will the lighter less top heavy 2-stroke be better in the woods?

How will the gas milage on a 250 be compared to the 4-stroke?

Does it matter if it has alu or steel frame?

I ride an '03 YZ250 in exactly those situations, this is the choice I made, but then again I am unabashed and unashamedly a 2strokebloke.

Riding along formed roads is painful in comparison to a 4stroke, but I only use firetrails as short length transport to get to the real riding anyway.

The YZ250 is light powerful, but is not as easy to ride in some situatons as a 4stroke, but is far more rewarding IMHO.

Bluecees

I agree with everything previously stated..A 450 can be great everywhere but you'll be glad you bought a two stroke the first time you stall it and it fires up first kick...I love four strokes...The sound, the power, the torque but they annoy the **** out of me when Im blue in the face trying to get it started again...Riding is already tiring enough why make it any worse having to kick it 25x to get it to start...

I have a 03 YZ450F that I consider to trade or sell and get a 03-06 YZ250.

I ride mostly trail and some dirt roads.

Would I be better of with the 450 or will the lighter less top heavy 2-stroke be better in the woods?

How will the gas milage on a 250 be compared to the 4-stroke?

Does it matter if it has alu or steel frame?

just get an '05 or '06 and up YZ250.... PERIOD! :D:worthy:

Are the 05 and up much better than a 04?

chad reed once said that his '04 YZ250 steel-frame is perfectly set-up than when he was riding the alum-frame '05... but that was chad :D

...talking about those US$50,000 50mm diameter kayaba bell-buttom forks :worthy:

http://www.livevideo.com/video/D4DB339910B64B3B957B776637BD6F3A/twmx-yz250.aspx

transworld motocross '04 YZ250 in an MX track

http://www.livevideo.com/video/77EBB4A73D024C949EDFC083F40A2E57/twmx-yz250.aspx

transworld motocross '05 YZ250 in an MX track

http://www.livevideo.com/video/209318030E254E8FAACE1C15BF85AC98/chad-reed-s-05-yz250.aspx

chad on an '05 YZ250, practice days --- yamaha SX track

...would you wanna see more vids of chad's '04 YZ250 in a supercross arena during the 2004 season?

Of course aluminum frame is the difference there but the major suspension change came in '06 with the AOS forks and titanium rear spring.

I had an '04 and liked it. I can't tell that much of a difference riding my '07 vs. the '04 but I'm just a weekend or two a month guy who doesn't race.:worthy:

The bike is lighter and easier to put on the stand or pick up from a fall. No rust issues with the ali frame.:D Motor wise the pipe changed in '06 and a richer needle came in '07. The '06 pipe adds low end compared to the '04 pipe.

I had an 05 CRF450R for a couple of years. I sold it and went to an 03 YZ250. The CRF just handled like crap. I thought it was me (had a 10 year lay off) until I got the YZ then I realized it was the bike. For fast desert riding I think the CRF was better. More power and 4 strokes can cruise at set speeds much better. In the tight stiff no contest, the YZ is so much better. The difference in turning and feel is huge. The YZ feels 30 lbs lighter and can cut lines you only dream about on a 4 stroke. For me, the YZ does use more gas than my CRF did. But, it NEVER fouls plugs, always starts first kick and has never over heated. Plus, working on the YZ is simple and they are so reliable. The YZ is a great all around bike, when I made the decision to go back to a 2 stroke it was my first and only choice.

Hope this helps you.

Whats wrong with the yz450?

My wr450 is heavy, but the yz450 isn't that heavy.

The 4-speed tranny dont suit my riding conditions very well.

The weight aint a problem it just that my friends 2 strokes feels way lighter and more fun to toss around. :D

MX bikes are more fun :worthy:

The 4-speed tranny dont suit my riding conditions very well.

The weight aint a problem it just that my friends 2 strokes feels way lighter and more fun to toss around. :D

MX bikes are more fun :worthy:

No argument there. I rode an enduro yesterday. I had a choice between my wr450 and the yz250. Without hesitation, I chose the yz because of its lighter weight. I guess that says something right there...

A little more or alot?

I usually ride between 2-3 hours of dirtroads and woods, would the 250 tank do or does it need a bigger tank?

stocker will do for 2-3 hours easily. For example, I rode 60 miles (7 hours) of difficult trails never getting above second gear and rarely getting on my main jet last weekend. Some photos:

7396134_M9bjm-M.jpg

7396117_FpRAy-M.jpg

7396130_VLyTk-M.jpg

I ended up using 3/4 of my 3.1 gallon tank. So that's 2.325 gallons. I weigh 250 lbs without gear and was using the stock pilot jet. So, if you're not rapping it out the bike will go a long ways.?