Trade my 450 for a 250

I have a 03 YZ450F that I consider to trade or sell and get a 03-06 YZ250.

I ride mostly trail and some dirt roads.

Would I be better of with the 450 or will the lighter less top heavy 2-stroke be better in the woods?

Man I'm in the same boat. Bought a 08 yz450f as a first dirtbike and it's kicking my ass. I'm a roadracer and bought it for some weekend fun but I think it's stunting my progress. If you guys know anyone with a 08 250F wanting to trade. Hit me up. I'll do a straight trade as long as it's in comparable condition. Thanks fellas.

Man I'm in the same boat. Bought a 08 yz450f as a first dirtbike and it's kicking my ass. I'm a roadracer and bought it for some weekend fun but I think it's stunting my progress. If you guys know anyone with a 08 250F wanting to trade. Hit me up. I'll do a straight trade as long as it's in comparable condition. Thanks fellas.

dude, just give it some time. I'm fairly new to riding as well(2 years), and I just love my 08 yz450f. Going to a 250f may feel good for a while, but once you get your skills up a bit, you'll miss the 450. Think about it twice before making that move. I actually felt that the yz450f IMPROVED my riding skills, it allows me to do things and climb places that I wouldn't do with my wr450f. Ride it more often and give it a few months, you'll be glad you did.

It feels top heavy and stalls very easy in tight stuff.

And the 4 speed gearbox dont suit my riding conditions.

those things shouldn't be hard to overcome.

1.) work a little bit on your physical fitness and strength

2.) try to use the clutch a bit more often/more effectively in the slow/tight areas

3.) make sure the bike is jetted right

4.) experiment with different gearing settings

just some suggestions to make your riding more enjoyable.

I too was thinking about selling my 426 to get a 250F but after dropping one tooth on the front sprocket and riding it today, it actually is much easier to handle in tight woods. I think i'll keep the rocket now.

I prefer my 250 2t in the tight woods. It seems to be more willing to lug over logs, rocks, etc than the 450. The 450 is happier when it can stretch it's legs a bit. I wouldn't go with a 250F, because it lacks the power of the other two. They seem to be less reliable as well.

A YZ250 2-stroke is better in really tight trails. IMO there's no question. Less stall-prone, lighter feeling.

I had an '07, it rocked. The only reason I got rid of it is that for 90% of what I ride, I like the 4-stroke better. For the other 10%? Well, I just got better at using the clutch!

HANDS DOWN, 2-stroke all the way, lighter and lighter feel, better maneuverability, better in tight woods! and maintenance is CHEAP!!! if you want to be a bad-ass, a CR500, or even better, an AF500!!! sounds like your pretty new to riding, go with a 2-stroke 250. Yamaha is great, CR's are plentiful and cheaper, STAY AWAY FROM 2-stroke Kawasaki and Suzuki. If you have the money, KTM's always good, and you can get a trail version of a 2-stroke, not just MX. the new KTM's are sweet. like the XC and XC-W models. 250cc and 300cc, has great power, lighter, electric start (300 XC-W). more for trails and enduros. check them out, pricey, but nice, and they have gotten better with stock suspension in the last couple of years IMO.

I've felt the same about my bike, I had a Drz-400e before this one and it was very good offroad, very luggy in the tough stuff. This bike requires way too much go gas and is scary in some senses to ride. After some research I have found a 51-52 rear sprocket makes a huge diffrence. This winter I plan on making the change to a 51 tooth and a better chain and hopefully it makes the 450f and sweet offroad machine.

I've felt the same about my bike, I had a Drz-400e before this one and it was very good offroad, very luggy in the tough stuff. This bike requires way too much go gas and is scary in some senses to ride. After some research I have found a 51-52 rear sprocket makes a huge diffrence. This winter I plan on making the change to a 51 tooth and a better chain and hopefully it makes the 450f and sweet offroad machine.

If you haven't done so yet, put a heavy weight flywheel on your YZ. I put a Steahly 9oz on my '08 YZ450F and it made a world of difference. Smoother off the bottom and less stall-prone.

Really a must-have if you ride a 450F off-road.

I ride both an 06 yz450f and an 05 yz250 2t. For me the 2t it's much easier to ride fast through tighter single track type trails. Don't get me wrong, I think the 450 is a more versitile machine across a wider range of riding, and far superior at the MX track, but the 250, IMO, is in it's own and a better bike in the tight stuff. The 250 has such a light feeling it's almost like a mountain bike compared to the four five O.